Used 2005 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great SUV
By Ken

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

A great suv. If you read some of the reviews many people find the gas usage high. DUH it's an suv. It does a great job at hauling people in comfort. Awesome get up and go for such a heavy truck. Tows well, I like the fact that I can flip in and out of 4x4, awd or 2 wheel drive. I like that the center seat pulls forward. It's a great SUV.

I like that it's wider, I like the ride height, like the shift on the fly. It's a great SUV, good looking too.

Could use more cubby holes to put stuff. There has to be an easier way to get in the third row without walking on the back of the seats. The seat belt reminder is a little over the top. I would also like to see a throaty exhaust. Lots of power in this engine, let it loose.

A Lemon
By Pedigo

2005 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought our first Expedition in 2003. It was okay. The small things went out faster than our previous car like tail light bulbs. We upgraded to the Eddie Bauer in 2005 to a 2005. We have had it for 14 months and has been in the shop 4 times. We are not happy with Ford at all. We are trying to go back to Japanese cars.

The interior is nice and the DVD system is convenient to have.

Ford needs to get better about roadside assistance because the first time the Expedition broke down I was three hours away from home. Roadside assistance did not do anything. The tail light bulbs go out way too soon. The engine light came on way too much for a SUV that I consider new.

Great Comfort
By Kevin

2005 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Great comfort! Mostly freeway driving, better than expected gas mileage 18 mpg. Great ride, better than my wife's Cadillac. Plenty of room for the kids and their teammates on way to games. Unbelievable turning radius. Parking no problem. No blind spots, great visibility all around vehicle. Once you get it rolling good top end power. When towing can't hardly tell there is a trailer on back.

Moon roof, seats, DVD, styling, towing capabilities, and ride. No mechanical trim or body problems, except brake pulsation.

Larger braking system; brakes tend to pulsate about every 8000 miles. More low end power. Just not enough get up and go from standing start. Better tires from factory - unless rotated every oil change they get flat spots and make noise.

Gas mileage beast - build quality ok
By Eric

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I always wanted to own an Expo and bought a left over 2005 in December. Then gas prices took off. The truck is very comfortable, but the build quality is only "ok." I have 10,000 miles on this vehicle and things are already rattling and I have squeaks. Gas mileage is no where near EPA figures, even with gentle starts and cruising at posted speeds on the highway. I've never seen better than 15-16 (this is a 4x4 model). At over $80 to fill it, it's time for me and the Expo to part ways - it just isn't worth the expense - we'll squeeze into something a lot more economical.

Massive people hauler - no one complains about space.

Leather is cheap, and, not really a sheet of leather but a composite material. Build quality should be much better.

Best full size
By Rollyn (Ed) Miller

2005 Ford Expedition SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This Expedition is remarkable. I have over 20,000 miles now and it has never had any problems. I average 15 miles per gallon and over 20 miles per gallon on lone trips. I am so impressed with the passenger comfort even in the 3rd row that I sometimes sit in back with my 2 kids to watch DVDs when my wife drives. I tow a large deck boat and the vehicle handles the load very well. I am impressed with the brakes that stop faster than any other vehicle I have driven with anti-lock brakes. The rack and pinion steering and 4 wheel independent suspension give sporty ride and handling. My wife and I argue over who gets to drive; she usually wins but I get to ride in the back and watch movies with the kids.

The 3 valve 5.4 that runs very strong and is rated a super ultra low emission engine. I like how comfortable the seats are and the ride quality. I also like the fold flat 3rd row seat that does not need to be removed when you have to move something large.