2005 Ford Expedition XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2005 Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Sort Reviews by

One happy customer
By Ed

2005 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Buying a "King ranch" was not my original objective, but it has exceeded all my expectations for an SUV. Lots of room, great leather seats, comfortable ride, lots of power, but keep that speed down to enjoy some decent fuel economy for an SUV. It will haul anything with little or no effort. Launch the boat and retrieve it as easy as pulling out of a parking space. This is an excellent cruising machine for those with large families or if you need room for stuff.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the great leather seats, DVD entertainment system, and an easy-to-use navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Could be better
By Outlook

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my third Expedition and with this one I would have to say that Ford is trying to cut some corners on their bottom line. The interior feels like they put in more "hard plastic" materials. I have had a lot of cosmetic issues with the exterior. The climate control seats used to be built into the seats; now it is a blower that goes under the seats that you can hear when on. The entertainment screen could be in the back of the seats because it blocks your view while driving. Too much cheap plastic inside this model.

Best SUV for the money!
By Frank Leeper

2005 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We live in Doha, Qatar and needed a large SUV for the wife to drive our two kids and a dog around town and the occasional trip to the desert (and feel safe in verses the very aggressive driving styles encountered here!). After looking at a number of domestic US (Suburban, Durango) and non-US (Nissan, Toyota) SUVs, the Expedition by far offered the greatest value for the money. We love the strong A/C system and room and could not believe you can buy this much SUV for so little money.

Favorite Features

Large, big V8, great A/C system front and rear, rides very well for a large truck chassis.

Suggested Improvements

Can always use more power! Consumes large amount of fuel but after all it's only 80 cents a gallon here. Second and third row air bag system should be standard.

Buy one or lose out.
By Dee Dee Callahan

2005 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

After buying the Expedition I will not own another type of vehicle. It's great for everything we do; camping, sports, hauling (trailers & quads), traveling. I can not say enough.

Favorite Features

Its size & how much room there is. I also like how safe my family is in it.

Suggested Improvements

Make them a 3/4 ton suspension instead of 1/2 ton.

great purchase!
By jbs

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The only thing missing with this car is the extra room in the very back. It is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. Every seat is comfortable. I do hope they come out with an extended length and improve the gas mileage on all SUV's. With four children we need the space!

Favorite Features

Comfort in driving, riding. Smooth ride, easy to park, automatic fold down of rear seats is GREAT!

Suggested Improvements

10 -12 more inches in the very back, and of course better gas mileage. It would be nice to be able to fold the seats automatically from the drivers seat.

Happy Owner
By mike

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought a 2005 Eddie Bauer to replace a 1998 XLT. What great changes during the last 7 years. I love the the interior and exterior designs and the ride is wonderful.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, automatic seats, mirrows with memory selection, all controls on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic lights that work during day rather than just at dusk.

Great vehicle
By Judissi

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Expedition and I love it. Bought the Eddie Bauer over the Tahoe and Yukon mainly because of the reliability of my 1st one and the power 3rd row seat. I wanted that seat but would have to lift in and out too much. The power fold is the best option Ford has come up with! Great ride, great visibility, great looking vehicle.

Favorite Features

3rd row power seat, visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Use better brake pads... really dirty front rims!

a good big car
By Barry

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We own two Expeditions, a '99 and an '05 and there are big differences. We like the handing as far as turning radius on the '99 but like the highway feel on the '05.

Favorite Features

Engine performance, high ride, safety.

Suggested Improvements

Interior materials could be a bit fancier, need better fuel economy, miss the armrest from our '99 version.

GREAT SUV
By LORI

2005 Ford Expedition XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We owned an Explorer before this Expedition. With three little kids we needed something bigger. The handling is great for a big vehicle, and a smooth ride. Enough room for three car seats across the second row of seats, and room for three adults in the third row. Very safe vehicle and performed great in safety crash tests. Enough cargo room when third seat is folded down to handle suitcases, strollers, coolers, and extra groceries. I really, really like this big SUV.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the low tire pressure signal, outside temp, and auto on/off headlights. These are features not even offered in most other vehicles. Another great feature is the back-up signal. The 3rd row power folding seat is great. Get these when choosing the vehicle options.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like where the 4W knob is placed. You can't see it when driving without looking behind the gearshift. Needs side airbags standard and also third-row side airbags. Also needs the back-up signal to be standard on such a large vehicle.

2005 Expedition
By R. Ross

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

If you can live with the inevitable lousy fuel economy, this is a full size SUV I'd highly recommend. All the bells & whistles and it drives itself. Consider the captain's seats in the second row and navigation system (which was surprisingly hard to find on most at dealership models). We are pleased we ordered both.

Favorite Features

V8 engine.Navigation system. Heated / Cooled front seats. Captain's seats in second row which greatly increases interior space and third row leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Front and side park assist would greatly assist. No filtration option for interior air.