Used 2005 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

built ford tough
By king ranch

2005 Ford Expedition King Ranch Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Overall the truck has been great and has stood up to the built ford tough. The interior and the exterior have held up very well. Only 2 minor problems and one was cause by the dealer not putting the clamp back on the radiator hose causing the hose to detach while driving and the other issue was a phaser that was covered by the extended warranty. Bought the truck with 22,000 miles and it now has 55,000 miles. The truck drives like a luxury car and has a great turning radius. This truck has turned out great comapared to our other truck a 04 chevy tahoe which has been in the dealer more close to 20 times for repairs alone the latest problem with that truck is the speedometer dont work anymore.

the king ranch leather, power thirdrow seats, premium stero system, gas milage on highway(18.7 at 85 and 21.5 at 65), space for everything you can think of, great engine and transmission.

Better dealership service, other than that the new model has it all covered.

love it but,
By wendy

2005 Ford Expedition XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I love our expedition, but I recently noticed the it stalls while driving. I was using regular octane. We have tried using premium and mid-grade and no stalls. My husband put in onetank of regular and it stalled again. USE mid or premium gas. We also had our rear main seal leaking, dealer denied it, so we found a private shop to fix it for us.

Very roomy

Fuel economy. And all SUV's should have rear sensing systems. It shouldn't be an option.

Loving my Expedition
By Jennleo5

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I barely got this car when a coil went out. That was a bad thing, but since that was repaired it runs wonderful. I test drove a couple different large S.U.V.'s and have to say that the Expedition drives better than anything I drove that day. I went from driving a small car to this and I thought parking and things like that would be a hassle, but not with this S.U.V. I can park it, reverse it just like I was driving my little car. The interior is nice and roomy, and the 3rd row is like anyother normal seat. Overall this is my favorite besides the rattling back window.

Handling of vehicle, comfort,

Rear heating/cooling switches, rattling window, controls for the DVD system up front in stereo panel to make playing/pausing easier on Driver.

Eddie Bauer after 70,000 miles
By Kevin

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Our first Expedition was a 1999 Eddie Bauer which we traded in after 75,000 problem free miles. We bought our current Expedition primarily because the 1999 was problem free and we wanted the power fold flat third row seats (which are great). However the 2005 version has been in the shop a number of times. The AC compressor had to be replaced at 40,000 miles ($1400) and the front brake calipers had to be replaced at 65,000 miles because they were binding. However the worst part of the vehicle is the interior rattles, dashboard squeaks and suspension creaks, moans and groans which drive us crazy. Gas mileage has been OK, pretty much as expected. 17-18 on the highway and 14-15 around town.

Power fold flat third row seats, stereo system, heated & cooled front seats, good handling, fairly tight turning radius for a big vehicle, good trailer towing capacity.

Ford needs to improve its overall body integrity to eliminate the squeaks, rattles, groans, etc. They should offer some type of factory spacer to fit between the second row seats and the third row seats when they are all folded down. Paint bubbling on the hood and rear hatch is common on all models

Best Expedition yet
By R P MILLER

2005 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

My wife totaled 2004 E. Bauer in a head-on, good design saved her life, bought 2005 King Ranch 4WD with all options. I love the air suspension, it rides better than my supercrew which has a longer wheel base. My wife sells real estate and gets 14-15 mpg under the worst conditions, we have gotten 21.2 mpg from New Mexico to Dallas at 70 to 80 mph. I think the mpg is great considering the Expidition is 4 w/d and weighs 5600 lbs. w/3.73 ratio. This is our third Expidition and we would buy another one without hesitation

Responsive engine, air suspension, traction control for safty and improved brakes that do not get the front wheels dirty. Electric key pad

Move lock and window controls to a vertical surface so pets are not likely to open windows or lock the vehicle with you out of it