Used 2005 Ford Expedition XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great Looking Repair Job
By wilsoncl6

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I loved everything about my Expedition except the need for repairs. I did all of the recommended maintenance in accordance with the recommended mileage and at about 90,000 had to replace the transmission. One year later, had to replace another transmission. In the meantime, I had to repair something that broke that was connected to the front right axle. Now, at 133,000 the car cut off while I was driving on the freeway and a message comes up to check the electronic throttle control which I found out is a common event on this year, make and model. Ford has a problem with transmissions in their vehicles and this one is no different.

Favorite Features

The vehicle is extremely powerful. Handles well for a large SUV. Breaking power is probably the best of any SUV I've ever driven.

Suggested Improvements

Put a recall on the throttle body and control before someone gets killed if they haven't already. Put some work and effort in improving the durability of your transmissions, especially in a vehicle like this that is designed for towing large capacities.

you take care of it, it take care of you
By wynter31

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

this truck as taken me all across north america, I am getting my money worth out of it but at the same time you have to be on top of your maintenance and repair if any, this truck don't like to be neglected

Favorite Features

big roomy interior, it get up and go every time you hit the gas

Suggested Improvements

really hard to change the spark plugs need a better design

Blown engine after 62000 miles
By Eugene

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Engine hydro-locked after a fuel injector failed. Hidden recall, they fix it only if you have the problem. Next, fell victime to Ford TSB 06-19- 8, noisy phasers. Now the engin blew. This is no more than a family wagon. Never towed anything in its very short life. FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily. I am/was a long-time Ford owner..... NEVER AGAIN!

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY JOB #1????? Hate to see what #2 is.......

love it but,
By wendy

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I love our expedition, but I recently noticed the it stalls while driving. I was using regular octane. We have tried using premium and mid-grade and no stalls. My husband put in onetank of regular and it stalled again. USE mid or premium gas. We also had our rear main seal leaking, dealer denied it, so we found a private shop to fix it for us.

Favorite Features

Very roomy

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. And all SUV's should have rear sensing systems. It shouldn't be an option.

Good Bang for the buck!
By czkid

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck about a month ago and have been very happy with it. I compared the Durango, Sequoia and Tahoe. Seating folds flat in rear making the space very large without storing seats (vs. Tahoe). Wider and even fits an adult comfortably in third row (vs. Tahoe and Durango). Less of a blind spot (vs. Durango). I really like the Sequoia for many of the same reasons. In reality it came down to price between a Toyota and Ford. Between incentives and haggling I got 10K off the truck's price and good trade in value. I did not think the seats were very comfortable at first, but as with anything else my body has adjusted and now it feels great.

Favorite Features

Wide seating arrangement allowing max comfort, plenty of third row seating room, cruise control (sounds strange, but I use it more now with my truck), ease of moving 2nd and 3rd row seats, running boards, mirror to watch kids in back, plenty of outlets for radar detector, dvd players, front storage.

Suggested Improvements

Should include standard side curtain airbags, reversing sensors, storage compartment in doors too slim to use. No storage area in back for placing tow hitch, etc.