2005 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Can't go wrong with an Expedition
By nlambert182 on 02/05/14 08:11 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Expedition with 72k miles in 2010. It now has 138k miles. In that time we have replaced the lower balljoints, one fuel injector (Ford recall). The only other items replaced were coil packs, a battery, spark plugs, and brake pads which are normal maintenance items. We absolutely love the vehicle and while we have also bought a truck and a car we refuse to get rid of the Expedition and use it for vacations. It suits every need we have and is extremely reliable and comfortable. We will drive this one until the wheels fall off, and once we can't put them back on anymore we will likely buy a new one. If you're good to it, it will definitely be good to you.

Major Problem that needs to be recalled - Throttle body
By jschmidt122 on 10/03/12 08:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

There is a major issue with the 2005 Ford Expedition. I was driving down the road going 50 mph and received a check electronic throttle message on the dash and the engine stopped and so did the power steering and brakes. I was in the left lane of a two lane road and nearly got in an accident. I took it to Ford and they replaced the throttle body for nearly $700. I've checked online and there are hundreds and hundreds of people with the same issue. [non-permissible content removed].

you take care of it, it take care of you
By wynter31 on 09/11/12 19:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

this truck as taken me all across north america, I am getting my money worth out of it but at the same time you have to be on top of your maintenance and repair if any, this truck don't like to be neglected

Finally Got rid of my Expedition
By iclayton on 01/09/12 14:33 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Today, i just traded in my Expedition for a Toyota Sequoia, and I feel great. The Ford Expedition is perhaps the worst vehicle I have knowledge of. I have never seen a vehicle that is so aesthetically beautiful, end up being a nightmare. Before unloading that money pit on a dealership, I replaced the transmission, 9 distributors, throttle position sensor, battery, rotors, and brakes. I bought the expedition in 2009!!! These are the remaining issues that i could not afford to fix and decided to trade it in. Front differential, rear differential, throttle body, catalytic converter, driver window motor, and rear brakes. But, no longer my problem. Buyer beware!!

Great SUV
By goldnpaw on 04/16/11 11:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Just turned 90k miles on my 2005. Everything still original except battery and wiper blades. Very smooth ride, paired with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo/ 2 tires..this thing has gone through 34 inches of snow like a tank....been over off road passes in Colorado at 14,000 feet, and still drives great. No rattles, squeeks, or any issues. Best SUV I have ever owned. routine maintenance always performed on time, have used full synthetic oil since new. chrome plated aircraft grade aluminum wheels make this red over silver truck look outstanding. Fully loaded, this is the longest I have owned any vehicle in my life.

New Engine?
By Pete on 08/23/10 14:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

For the first 50,000 miles, this truck ran great! Very roomy and comfortable, easy to drive and plenty of power. However, at around 60,000 miles and just 5 years after I drove it off the lot, it suddenly ran terribly and the check engine light came on. The dealer says I need the engine replaced. The warranty has expired and the dealer wanted $9000 to replace the engine! After a phone call to Ford the price came down to $5000. So far, I've spent about $800 fixing things that might be the problem but unfortunately I'm starting to think the dealer is right. I wouldn't think a vehicle with less than 60,000 would need a new motor. Very disappointed!

Blown engine after 62000 miles
By Eugene on 05/14/10 16:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Engine hydro-locked after a fuel injector failed. Hidden recall, they fix it only if you have the problem. Next, fell victime to Ford TSB 06-19- 8, noisy phasers. Now the engin blew. This is no more than a family wagon. Never towed anything in its very short life. FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily. I am/was a long-time Ford owner..... NEVER AGAIN!

Backup sensor quit working
By Mary on 04/15/10 11:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Ford dealer cannot figure out why the backup sensor quit working. Started after we hooked up our travel trailer. No one can fix this. Had a few close calls and want it fixed!

Sorry It's Gone
By Justice Gustine on 03/27/10 22:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Just turned in ole' Blue to the lease return. It was my 2nd Expi and a big improvement from the 2000 with independent rear suspension that gave it sure footed handling and 4 wheel disc brakes that stopped better. Very powerful and never disappointed me when fast acceleration was needed. Never broke down. All I did was change the oil and pay attention to warning lights. The family is leaving the nest now and there is no longer a need for a spacious SUV. Blue was an XLT Sport 2wd, that gave it some two tone trim, tubular running boards, fog lights, limited slip, stiffer roll bar and a few other highlights. Will always remember the big comfortable ride.

A look good Lemon$$$
By Pete on 01/26/10 09:54 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Our XLT 5.3L 4WD was a lemon from the second we drove it off the lot. This is fully loaded with all the bells and whistles to include 22" rims. We paid almost $60K for this dream car. Been to shop more times than I can count in last 5 years for every imaginable problem. The car was a lemon from Day 1 and although I suspected it many times, I was no absolutely sure until today when transmission went out at 84,000 miles. Engine was replaced at 82,000 miles ($6K). numerous electrical issues, poor gas milage at 8-10MPG for 1st 82,000miles due to engine issues (I always assumed it was the oversized tires until my MPG jumped to 15-17 after new engine installed.) Ford has done nothing to help us.