Used 2005 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Couldn't be happier with this machine
By Cason VanDriel

2005 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought ours 15 months ago, but we've put 24,000 miles on it since we bought it. Couldn't be happier. Vehicle looks sensational. It performs flawlessly, and it is an absolute pleasure to drive. I'd been looking for a Lincoln Navigator, but when we saw the King Ranch interior, we were hooked. We had to look a while to find one in mint condition, but it was worth the wait. That leather is so beautiful! The car had 59,000 miles when I bought it, and I immediately ordered a set of WeatherTech floor mats to keep the pristine carpets in their excellent condition. I also purchased a Ford OEM transmission pan with a drain plug in it. I replaced all fluids with synthetic, and I hope to keep this car for many miles and years! We also found a set of mint 22" Harley Davidson F150 wheels for it. Looks sharp! Finally, we tinted the front windows to match the rear. The car has been very reliable. Not a single problem. Sound system is superb. DVD player has been used only once. I wanted to have it, just to have it, but we never use it. The middle row in ours has 2 bucket seats, and this feature is wonderful. It makes getting into the back seats very easy. One major feature of this vehicle that sold us on this over a Tahoe is the 3rd row seating...... the 3rd row occupants sit comfortably with plenty of leg room, and a flat floor. In a Yukon, their feet sit above the differential, and this makes for very awkward seating for all but small kids. In summary.... we've been totally impressed with our big Ford. I love cars and do all my own maintenance. I have been over every inch of this car, just to familiarize myself with it, and in my opinion, this is a very well built vehicle! Highly recommended.

Great Looking Repair Job
By wilsoncl6

2005 Ford Expedition XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I loved everything about my Expedition except the need for repairs. I did all of the recommended maintenance in accordance with the recommended mileage and at about 90,000 had to replace the transmission. One year later, had to replace another transmission. In the meantime, I had to repair something that broke that was connected to the front right axle. Now, at 133,000 the car cut off while I was driving on the freeway and a message comes up to check the electronic throttle control which I found out is a common event on this year, make and model. Ford has a problem with transmissions in their vehicles and this one is no different.

The vehicle is extremely powerful. Handles well for a large SUV. Breaking power is probably the best of any SUV I've ever driven.

Put a recall on the throttle body and control before someone gets killed if they haven't already. Put some work and effort in improving the durability of your transmissions, especially in a vehicle like this that is designed for towing large capacities.

Can't go wrong with an Expedition
By nlambert182

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Expedition with 72k miles in 2010. It now has 138k miles. In that time we have replaced the lower balljoints, one fuel injector (Ford recall). The only other items replaced were coil packs, a battery, spark plugs, and brake pads which are normal maintenance items. We absolutely love the vehicle and while we have also bought a truck and a car we refuse to get rid of the Expedition and use it for vacations. It suits every need we have and is extremely reliable and comfortable. We will drive this one until the wheels fall off, and once we can't put them back on anymore we will likely buy a new one. If you're good to it, it will definitely be good to you.

Quality leather Premium stereo system Room Comfort Reliability

Major Problem that needs to be recalled - Throttle body
By jschmidt122

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

There is a major issue with the 2005 Ford Expedition. I was driving down the road going 50 mph and received a check electronic throttle message on the dash and the engine stopped and so did the power steering and brakes. I was in the left lane of a two lane road and nearly got in an accident. I took it to Ford and they replaced the throttle body for nearly $700. I've checked online and there are hundreds and hundreds of people with the same issue. [non-permissible content removed].

Recall Throttle Body issue

you take care of it, it take care of you
By wynter31

2005 Ford Expedition XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

this truck as taken me all across north america, I am getting my money worth out of it but at the same time you have to be on top of your maintenance and repair if any, this truck don't like to be neglected

big roomy interior, it get up and go every time you hit the gas

really hard to change the spark plugs need a better design

• SUV