Used 2004 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Road Trip Warrior
By fourmonkeys

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We've owned our EB for about 2 1/2 years now and it has never dissappointed. It was comfortable with 4 kids in car seats and stuffed to the brim with a week's supply of stuff on a 4000 mile roundtrip. It's a good to and from vehicle, especially with a bunch of kids, pop in a DVD and go. And you can tow a 5000 trailer with ease, barely noticeable with the power of the 5.4.  An interesting side note, the front clip of a Cadillac Catera will fit in the back, with the seats folded down of course. I'll sell it when the wheels fall off, great do-whatever-you-need-to-do truck.

Roominess. Engine. Powerfold seats. 6 disc changer in the dash

Tweeters in the pillar, sound is kind of muddy, bass is great when no one's in the 3rd row. Everything else is pretty good.

Good Truck ,Not reliable
By Brandon

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Expedition, my other was an 03. While I do greatly apppreciate the interior design and roominess, the seats are not very supportive at all. My transmission went out at 60k miles, and I just put a new alternator in it. Now I am being told that the rear climate system needs a new motor. It thumps whenever you turn it on. It is just problem after problem with these Ford's and I heavily reccomend you not buy one. I am going to trade in my Expedition for an 04 Chevrolet Tahoe LT. My Expedition is beautiful solid black with the chrome exhaust, but is certainly not beauiful for my pocket book! Go with the more reliable, cheaper to fix, better re-sale value GM Suvs. You will thank me

Love the chrome exhaust, look of the two-tone leather seats, rear parking sensors, power 3rd row. Solid black with black trim.

Cheaper to fix, better on gas like the GM SUVs, more comfortable.

Four years and counting
By tw

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great car value. This SUV holds so much. It handles better in the snow than my Range Rover which cost more than twice as much. This has been my best car purchase. Mileage is bad, but what real SUV has good mileage? This truck looks good on the road or parked next to anything. Also, the design still looks good today more than five years after the 2004 XLT first rolled off the production line.

Interior space, fold flat third row, simple and reliable layout, low maintenance costs

Better OEM tires but I solved that in year two

3 Year Review
By Mr. Rick

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this Expedition for 3 yrs and it now has 61k. Overall I am happy with my Expedition especially when the weather here in Michigan get rough. The biggest improvement I did was replacing the OEM Continental TR's with Michelin LTX A/T's a few thousand miles ago. I wished I did this years ago. It makes the Expedition ride like a completely better vehicle. I would also definitely recommend buying a extended warranty for any issue that creeps up. I've had to have the rear end rebuilt (whining), a brake caliper replaced, a transfer case leak fixed, lower ball joints replaced, & an idler pulley replaced. These were small nuisances but I've seen worst from other makes and models.

Commanding view of the road. The massive presence it leaves when parked next to other vehicles. It's a great looking vehicle, The seats are very comfortable, room for the 6 of us, the way it handles snow and foul weather, and the way it lights up the road at night.

Make Michelin's standard, as for anything else Ford improves these vehicles every model year. BUT starting in 05 Ford ditched the throttle cable and added drive by wire which leaves the driver disconnected from the vehicle. There is a 1/2second lag time in the gas pedal

Built Ford Tough....and still rolling!
By Cisco

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Test drove 3 SUVs, this is the best one! This is my second Ford (1st:1993 Explorer). I have nothing but praise for this vehicle.Great for my real estate business, and, after a hurricane. The ride is smooth,even on rough roads!Great for long distance trips with 2 kids! The engine is quiet,great towing capacity! Lots of space for legs & cargo. Pulls strong and runs best with less fuel comsumption using premium. Elbow room with 7 people on board. Commanding views of the road from all seats without blind spost for driver. Great vehicle to be in bad weather, secure and safe. Smooth and effortless power.

Lots of space for feet/legs. Low engine sound. Smooth and effortless power from the 5.4L. Seats are very supportive. Great to travel in. Handles nicely for a large vehicle. No blind spots. Flip down seats, roomy, plenty of cup holders & storage. Towing power, great audio system. Steering & turning circle.

Need the ECM (Electronic Cylinder Management) of Honda, manages the cylinder usage .Lower speeds, uses only half of the cylinders. It wil use all when power is needed. Helps save lots of gas. More storage. Better brake pads. Betterr quality a/c blower motor.A djustable baby/toddler seat with recliner. Expandable roof rack