2004 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
It keeps getting better
By Bob Mac on 09/03/05 20:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Eddie Bauer and I am amazed at the improvements. I am a realtor and purchased the ventilated seats as a client convenience. One of the best investments in comfort I have ever made. The gas mileage is great for a vehicle this size and the turning radius and performance are much better than in the older model. I wanted the buy a Tahoe but after a test drive in both I was unable to consider anything but this Ford. I also looked at a few of the imports but found them to be overpriced and under featured. I have been involved in 2 minor accidents (not my fault) since the purchase and my damage was almost undetectable but you should have seen the other guy. I feel safe and secure!

happy customer -- needs improvements
By seasonashley on 08/27/05 15:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We have had this noise in the car for about 8 months now. We have taken it to the dealership to be looked at (2 different ones) and we have been told that this is normal. I love my Expedition, but I hate the noise it makes EVERY time I crank the car up. We want to trade this one in and get a new one but were told that the next one might or might not make the noise and that every one is different.

Thirsty as a toad in the desert
By TourGuide on 08/24/05 20:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Could you live with single digit mpg? It happened to me. This single fact ruined my ownership experience. 18 mpg on the highway (after 10,000 miles), but I didn't drive it on the highway much. Low quality audio for a $48K vehicle - lose the Visteon garbage Ford! Chattering plastic parts in the rear liftgate took forever to locate and correct (did this myself). Rear axle seals went bad at 7000 miles. I desperately wanted to like this vehicle, and I did until the economics of driving it and the problems started up. This was my first big ticket vehicle purchase and I feel I was reasonable about my expectations. My idea of $48K worth of vehicle and Ford's don't match. Bitterly disappointed with Ford.

Myop
By Msexplorer on 08/16/05 01:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I would recommend this SUV to mothers, especially those who have larger families. You can transport 8 individuals with ease, but that would leave you little baggage space. Some of my favorite features are the dashboard alerts. I am forewarned of low fuel, an unbalanced tire pressure, or even low coolant. In addition, the backup safety feature (which can be turned off) comes in handy and provides reassurance that you are not going to hit a child or object.

Much better than expected
By tharpomaximus on 07/15/05 15:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle for several reasons: 4WD, 9 passenger seating and price. I have not been disappointed at all. Yes, the brake dust is bad, but I knew that when I bought it. Of course the gas mileage is not good, but I knew that too. For the money, this vehicle is hard to beat. I have the smaller V8 and it has plenty of power for me. The base model I purchased has all the basic power options plus adjustable pedals for my short wife. The biggest shortcoming is limited storage behind the 3rd row (please build an extended version!). Therefore, I have both hitch mounted and roof mounted luggage carriers. My wife loves this car. AWD is much smoother than my Sierra Z71.

It gets even better the second time
By MRMCDO on 06/15/05 22:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I loved my '99 XLT 4.6l. It was time to get something new (I had 284000 km and still looked like new). I get better MPG with the 5.4 but about the same performance with the Eddie Bauer (must be heavier with heated/cooled seats, 6 CD, auto A/C, great sound, 3rd row in floor to leave room for the dog, back up alarm and all). Now I can see at night (great improvement). I can hear a whining noise when I apply power (a bit annoying). I was expecting wood trim on the dash at that price. On the road it is a delight to drive. The front suspension feels loose compared to my solid axle on the "99. Lots of brake dust on the wheels but they clean real easy and look great.

Fix or Repair Daily
By orca24 on 05/18/05 16:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Both fog lights fell out of the front of car from normal driving; never hit anything or ran into anything. At 17,000 miles the entire rear end of the car had to be replaced. The gears all stripped even though I brought it in for service just like I was supposed to,

Solid Ride - Family Truck
By Vanz73 on 04/13/05 11:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition for more than a year. It is a good solid vehicle that excels in bad driving conditions. My wife remarked that it is more comfortable for her as a passenger than my 1997 Explorer (that she said "bounced her around too much"). No issues or problems in the first year (I'd expect nothing less).

Fun but Could be better
By Sven on 03/27/05 20:10 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Fun vehicle. Great for a family of 5. It handles great, but could be better on the mechanics. Have had lots of problems with the driver seat, rattles in the dash, water leak from the rear window and a loud humming noise from the axle. The dealership has had the car for many issues. Gas mileage could be better, but what do you expect of a big truck. Even though we have had issues I would purchase another. Other cars same size do not compare with ride and room, also the deals and rebates Ford gives is much better than the rest.

Expedition
By Matthew Polus on 01/14/05 18:23 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT NBX 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a Honda S2000 for the Expedition; quite a change. The Expedition is much more practicable, but not quite as fun to drive. I like the interior design, the seats are comfortable and it's very quiet on the road. We towed about 5,000 lbs from Tampa, FL to Whidbey Island, WA (about 3,500 miles in all). The truck did great, even over the 10,000' passes in Colorado. It was extremely comfortable the entire trip and we managed about 13.5 MPG.The only problem I've had with the truck is the passenger side fuse panel shorted. I came outside one day and the brake lights were on - with no one in the car! Ford fixed it and it's been a great truck since then. I paid $36,300 in TX.