Used 2004 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Never again!
By Don S

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Had problems with the steering and rust on the rear door while under warranty. Had problems with the differential seals 39,000. Brake seals went at 40,000; Caliper froze and destroyed front rotor at 51,000; Same caliper froze at 102,000 replaced rotor, break line, seals. Front bearing replaced at same time; 2 months later at 104,000 rear wheel bearing went. Never use this for off road and very minimal light towing. All highway miles and very costly to own. Beware!

Roomy and comfortable. Good in snow.

Better quality. Better fuel efficiency (12-13 mpg consistently)

A Great Vehicle
By 3rd one...

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this one (our 3rd Expedition) new in March or 2003 and broke it in on a road trip to Mesa Verde. The literature indicated that it would get only 13 mpg or so, but by keeping our speed around 60 mph we have averaged over 18 mpg overall and over 23 mpg on one trip from Fontenelle, Wyoming to Denver. I am tall (6'5") and this is the most comfortable vehicle I have owned. It is so nice to have a car that actually fits me. It has all of the comfort features one could want and the heated and cooled seats are a real treat. We haven't had any problems at all and I expect it to last at least another 10 years or more. Great job Ford!

heated and cooled seats. Yes!

Keep the limited slip rear end

love my expedition
By sabc

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

My husband bought me my XLT last year with 52K miles from original owner..I love my truck I feel safe in it, love the DVD system, 8 passenger seating, electric 3rd row seats, moonroof,back up sensor.. this truck is loaded. Only complaint is the support in front seat isn't so good and I wish the DVD player wasn't right in the middle of the mirror and of course gas but it is a 4wd v8 so what do you expect. Over all love love my truck!

leather,moonroof,dvd,sensors,6disc cd player, color and safe feeling

discomfort in front seat, dvd tv blocks view when open, gas mileage

2nd One, and Loving It
By MYEXH8ME

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Eddie Bauer 4x4. I haven't had a problem with this SUV, and I would recommend it to anyone. It has more torque than GM's, but less horsepower; translated, tows more but won't win a light to light. Who wants to race something this big anyway? I have used it to tow 5 or 6 cars to the crusher...I couldn't tell they were even behind me. There is also plenty of ground clearance, incase you want to hop a curb or two. Tire Pressure Monitoring System really, really works too! Headlight illumination well above average...brights light up the horizon and foggers do their job. Powerfold 3rd row a plus, especially on rainy days when you need the extra room. DVD system great for kids!!

I think that the list topping feature for this vehicle for me is the heated/cooled front seats. My roommate always wants to travel in the Expedition in the summer, because it keep the crack cool. Her usually sticks to his Yukon in the winter because it has bun warmers!

The only complaint is MPG, hence the 8519 annual avarage for the one I own. More horsepower with improved fuel economy would make me trade the one I have for the latest and greatest. Ford should look at GMC...they are leaving us in their dust!

Best SUV I have owned
By R Williams

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We made the mistake of purchasing a new 07 Wrangler and what a mistake, sold it quick and found this Expedition with 4WD cheap with only 31k miles. Had to replace the Contrac tires because it sat for over a year until gas came down. I purchased it to tow cars that I purchase on craiglist. I have even pulled a 36 foot motorhome (15,000 pounds) to a garage with no problems.I have put about 12k miles on it now and I love it. Passes everything but the gas stations. The new tires make it really comfortable. Did not want 4X4 but they gave this thing away when closing the dealership. I will put over 200,000 miles on this like all my other Fords one with over 435,000 miles. Do your own maintnance.

I have always loved a Ford even thiough I also drive a Honda for MPG. A Ford is bullet proof and will survive a nuclear war no matter what others say and parts are cheap and available at any autohouse. Of course I do do all my own service because you can not trust others in most cases

Sure would like a little better gas mileage but it is worth it for the towing I do. Needs more inside lighting like the Lincolns have or a flashlight on a cable so it will always be there.