2004 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Treats the Family Right
By Rob on 05/19/06 17:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Solid and dependable. This is great on long trips, which is primarily what it gets used for. Gas mileage...well, it's what you'd expect for a V8 and what was advertised when we bought it. Plenty of power. I wish the clearance was a couple inches higher because I do take this off-road for camping. No towing issues with 17' boot and trailer. Engine is quiet. Seats 7 with reasonable comfort, though it's primarily just ma, pa, & the boy with the 3rd row of seats folded down for luggage. 2nd row of seats folds flat and can fit a few 4x8 sheets of plywood. We hope they improve mileage with future models, because we'd consider another.

Excellent Surprise
By Tom Dillard on 03/27/06 20:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been an excellent surprise. It is comfortable is every seating position, quiet and totally reliable. The surprise is that it consistently gets over 20 mpg in highway travel. As a daily driver in town it drops to 16+. The secret is in keeping the tires at 34 or 35 psi. The ride is not soft, but the handling is responsive. I also find that, though no dragster, it is not a slouch. I get to check it out in the home city of the X5 that is rated so highly. This machine is more comfortable, has more room, hauls and pulls more and has more power than the X5. Now, if it would just keep the resale value....

TeeCee's Truck
By T. Alvarez on 03/14/06 07:53 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Expedition. I had been driving a Ford F250 or F350 for over 15 years when I decided I wanted something a little more like a car. I could not have picked a nicer, sweeter vehicle. I bought a 2 horse Sundowner trailer to pull behind it. It makes for a really nice rig.

Where's the Quality and Reliability?
By UnhappyOwner on 02/01/06 10:29 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in my 1997 Expedition for a new 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition because of all of the improvements. While the new features and styling are great the build quality and reliability are terrible! In 2 years the differential has been rebuilt twice, the battery failed, one window motor failed, comfort seats (heat & a/c) failed, passenger mirror motor failed and has more rattles that a daycare. Now I've been told that the front brake rotors need to replaced because they are too thin at 20K! I called Ford and they said that they were not under warranty but the replacements had been "redesigned" to resolve this problem. They admitted that this was a design defect but it would not be covered or pro-rated.

Ford Expedition
By Mark Bliss on 01/30/06 18:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle fits my life perfectly. One of my favorite features is the power third row seat. Some days I have all the back seats folded down hauling gear. Other days, I need the third row seat for clients or friends. I drive about 40,000 miles per year, mostly highway. It's a comfortable ride. It is my second Expedition and probably not my last.

Ford
By Texas True on 01/25/06 17:19 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Reliable car designed for comfort. It is a great way to have a luxury car and durable truck all in one. Great amount of room for large families.

Solid B+
By Big Family on 01/09/06 16:07 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Does great on the things we bought it for (kids, cargo, 4WD in rough weather, comfort, long trips); only a handful of quality-related nitpicks keeping it from making it a truly great experience. Handles like a much smaller vehicle, and large mirrors are second to none. Seats, dash, controls all logical. Could be a touch quieter and a bit smoother on acceleration.

The Paint is Peeling
By LEONARD on 11/27/05 20:38 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love the exterior styling. I have the sport model. However within 500 miles the paint began to peel and the muffler began to make loud popping noises as the vehicle warmed up or cooled off.The dealership said the paint could be spot touched up and that the noise from the muffler was normal. I wanted the vehicle repainted and the muffler replaced. When I requested this I was told no on the muffler ( the noise is so loud you can hear it 20 feet away every time it is started or turned off) . In fairness to Ford the only paint peeling is on the body clad molding. It was also peeling on several other new units on 2 different lots and was verified by techs at both locations.

Hard to Be Beaten
By Fordy on 11/04/05 13:56 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our Expedition has been nothing but a dream to own. We bought it in March of 2004 and are looking forward to returning it for the new 2007 Expedition. This has been a great suv, has plenty of power under the hood, is incredibly comfy, has sleek and sporty styling ... stands out! (not like the Chevy Tahoes or 'burbans that are all like a carbon copy of each other). Is very roomy, heater/AC is very strong powerful, Transmission is responsive, braking is impeccable, large rear-view mirrors make it easy for a lane change, fold flat seats allow for lots of cargo room, 3rd rear seat is just as comfy as the rest of the seats. The Expedition is rated very high for safety, and reliability/dependability.

Frank's Expedition
By Frank Giron on 10/23/05 13:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our Expedition at a Honda Dealership where we had taken our 2001 Honda Passport for an oil change, We had just returned from a fishing trip to the Sierra's and were very disappointed with the Passport's comfort zone, We purchased the Expedition with 30,000 miles on it; it had been traded in by the company who initially purchased it. We installed a trailer hitch and have pulled a 26 ft travel trailer from Orange County California to Havasu, Arizona with no problems. While I would have preferred a little more horsepower I was very pleased in its performance climbing over mountain passes. It never heated up even while running the air conditioner and climbing. Comfort was great.