Used 2004 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Ford Never Again
By t.jones67 on 11/11/06 15:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I drive my Ford for work. Most of my miles are highway miles. The air conditioner went out early on. At 46,600 miles the transmission is out. It is out of warranty. The dealership did pick up $1000 of the $2k bill. A transmission should not go out at 46k miles. Funny thing is I had a Taurus that the air went out early and the transmission dropped at 60k. Ford seems to have problems with these. This is the last Ford I will ever buy. If you have to have a Ford-buy the extended warranty.

Great SUV
By Dave on 09/17/06 19:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have been a "Ford Guy" for a long time. Over the years owned a Ranger, a F150, a Probe, a Mustang, and now every SUV they have made except the Bronco II. I am not disappointed. This is one comfortable ride. Every feature I could ask for and looks great. Rides smooth and for the size I am getting pretty good MPG.

An excellent SUV
By teldoc on 07/12/06 11:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned Tahoes, Expeditions, Land Cruisers and currently also have an LR3. Our 04 Eddie Bauer Expedition has been an excellent performer. It's comfortable to drive and the ride is way nicer than the previous suspension set up. The additional power offered by 05s would be welcome but the 2 valve motors are adequate. This SUV just eats up the miles on road trips. Ours has been extremely reliable. We have 56,000 miles and I took it to Firestone telling them to replace the brakes...I get a call an hour later saying there's 50% pad left and the rotors look fine.

Treats the Family Right
By Rob on 05/19/06 17:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Solid and dependable. This is great on long trips, which is primarily what it gets used for. Gas mileage...well, it's what you'd expect for a V8 and what was advertised when we bought it. Plenty of power. I wish the clearance was a couple inches higher because I do take this off-road for camping. No towing issues with 17' boot and trailer. Engine is quiet. Seats 7 with reasonable comfort, though it's primarily just ma, pa, & the boy with the 3rd row of seats folded down for luggage. 2nd row of seats folds flat and can fit a few 4x8 sheets of plywood. We hope they improve mileage with future models, because we'd consider another.

Excellent Surprise
By Tom Dillard on 03/27/06 20:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been an excellent surprise. It is comfortable is every seating position, quiet and totally reliable. The surprise is that it consistently gets over 20 mpg in highway travel. As a daily driver in town it drops to 16+. The secret is in keeping the tires at 34 or 35 psi. The ride is not soft, but the handling is responsive. I also find that, though no dragster, it is not a slouch. I get to check it out in the home city of the X5 that is rated so highly. This machine is more comfortable, has more room, hauls and pulls more and has more power than the X5. Now, if it would just keep the resale value....

TeeCee's Truck
By T. Alvarez on 03/14/06 07:53 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Expedition. I had been driving a Ford F250 or F350 for over 15 years when I decided I wanted something a little more like a car. I could not have picked a nicer, sweeter vehicle. I bought a 2 horse Sundowner trailer to pull behind it. It makes for a really nice rig.

Where's the Quality and Reliability?
By UnhappyOwner on 02/01/06 10:29 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in my 1997 Expedition for a new 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition because of all of the improvements. While the new features and styling are great the build quality and reliability are terrible! In 2 years the differential has been rebuilt twice, the battery failed, one window motor failed, comfort seats (heat & a/c) failed, passenger mirror motor failed and has more rattles that a daycare. Now I've been told that the front brake rotors need to replaced because they are too thin at 20K! I called Ford and they said that they were not under warranty but the replacements had been "redesigned" to resolve this problem. They admitted that this was a design defect but it would not be covered or pro-rated.

Ford Expedition
By Mark Bliss on 01/30/06 18:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle fits my life perfectly. One of my favorite features is the power third row seat. Some days I have all the back seats folded down hauling gear. Other days, I need the third row seat for clients or friends. I drive about 40,000 miles per year, mostly highway. It's a comfortable ride. It is my second Expedition and probably not my last.

Ford
By Texas True on 01/25/06 17:19 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Reliable car designed for comfort. It is a great way to have a luxury car and durable truck all in one. Great amount of room for large families.

Solid B+
By Big Family on 01/09/06 16:07 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Does great on the things we bought it for (kids, cargo, 4WD in rough weather, comfort, long trips); only a handful of quality-related nitpicks keeping it from making it a truly great experience. Handles like a much smaller vehicle, and large mirrors are second to none. Seats, dash, controls all logical. Could be a touch quieter and a bit smoother on acceleration.