Used 2004 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

I really wanted to like this Truck.
By Advancing

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

On my third rear end covered by warranty. A ticking in the drivers side door that nobody can find, plastic cladding on doors are fading badly (garage kept), tire pressure monitors useless, paid for leather got something that isn't leather (perhaps it comes from plastic cows), tailgate has blisters in the paint, steering wheel cover falling off. All these issues are created by accountant driven engineering. On the up side I pull a 6500 lb boat and it does it quite well although I doubt it could pull the 8500 lbs its rated for. Handles well for a large truck. Excellent brakes. Engine performance from the 5.4 L is great. Climate control is good. Good winter vehicle. Inspires in all weather

Favorite Features

I like the large storage under the arm rest. Engine is solid and strong. Cup holders work well. I think this is well engineered but vendors and purchasing has created a sub par product. Third row seat hides nicely in the floor and creates a lot of storage space. It has never left me stranded.

Suggested Improvements

Sell leather - provide leather! Fire your cost improvement team. It only counts when you improve or not compromise the product when you cut costs. Some of the hardest cheapest plastics in a car I have ever seen. I believe $250 in upgraded parts would make this a very acceptable product.

Great SUV
By johnie1

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am getting around 460 miles per tank on the highway. That is doing 70-75 mph w/ ac on. Plus I always keep the maintenance up to date

Never again!
By Don S

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Had problems with the steering and rust on the rear door while under warranty. Had problems with the differential seals 39,000. Brake seals went at 40,000; Caliper froze and destroyed front rotor at 51,000; Same caliper froze at 102,000 replaced rotor, break line, seals. Front bearing replaced at same time; 2 months later at 104,000 rear wheel bearing went. Never use this for off road and very minimal light towing. All highway miles and very costly to own. Beware!

Favorite Features

Roomy and comfortable. Good in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality. Better fuel efficiency (12-13 mpg consistently)

A Great Vehicle
By 3rd one...

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this one (our 3rd Expedition) new in March or 2003 and broke it in on a road trip to Mesa Verde. The literature indicated that it would get only 13 mpg or so, but by keeping our speed around 60 mph we have averaged over 18 mpg overall and over 23 mpg on one trip from Fontenelle, Wyoming to Denver. I am tall (6'5") and this is the most comfortable vehicle I have owned. It is so nice to have a car that actually fits me. It has all of the comfort features one could want and the heated and cooled seats are a real treat. We haven't had any problems at all and I expect it to last at least another 10 years or more. Great job Ford!

Favorite Features

heated and cooled seats. Yes!

Suggested Improvements

Keep the limited slip rear end

love my expedition
By sabc

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

My husband bought me my XLT last year with 52K miles from original owner..I love my truck I feel safe in it, love the DVD system, 8 passenger seating, electric 3rd row seats, moonroof,back up sensor.. this truck is loaded. Only complaint is the support in front seat isn't so good and I wish the DVD player wasn't right in the middle of the mirror and of course gas but it is a 4wd v8 so what do you expect. Over all love love my truck!

Favorite Features

leather,moonroof,dvd,sensors,6disc cd player, color and safe feeling

Suggested Improvements

discomfort in front seat, dvd tv blocks view when open, gas mileage