2004 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Not a Bad full size SUV
By Marc04EXP on 07/23/07 13:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2004 Expedition on June 27, 2007. The evening I drove it home, I heard a noise coming from the rear. I own a mobile automotive repair business so I was checking the truck out. To make a long story short, the rear needed to be completely rebuilt. The problem was it was bought from a Chevy dealer so after 3 dealers, it ended up at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer and this process took 8 days. Otherwise, it drives great and I love the vehicle.

The family truckster
By RBC1971 on 07/14/07 21:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Just completed 1 year of ownership. Bought it with 37k and now has 49k. Replaced transmission oil with Royal Purple ATF Max Synthetic oil, also am running 5w30 Royal Purple Synthetic Oil in the crank case. A K&N air filter with cold induction has been installed too. My gas mileage went from mid 15's to mid 17's overnight. On the highway cruising 68mph its around 19mpg. We love the room, the 4x4 and ground clearance is tops here in Michigan too. Our only problem we've had is a rear axle whine that is a common on 03 to 06 Expedition's. The 5.4L pulls strong and runs best on premium fuel. With 4 growing kids this Expedition will be with us for a long time coming.

Luv my Expedition
By shawnn1967 on 06/23/07 05:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The vehicle is excellent. I have four children and two Labs. We all travel comfortably. She will haul anything and not complain. Very strong truck. This is my second Ford (1989 F150). I have nothing but praise for this vehicle.

Ford Expedition
By TXMOM on 04/12/07 02:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been excellent for my family of 5. It is comfortable and roomy, which is great on long trips. I have not had any problems with it except for squeaky brakes. The gas mileage is awful though. I am only getting between 13-14 MPG in town and between 18-19 MPG on highway. I guess that is to be expected from an SUV this size. Ford needs to improve the fuel economy and this vehicle would be almost perfect.

Good AND BAD
By Rob K. on 03/21/07 09:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

POSITIVES: Great room for a family of 4 or 5. Plenty of luggage room for those long family trips. Eddie Bauer's look great with the gold underpackage with pretty much any body color. NEGATIVES: What's up with the brake dust? Wow, let's not skimp on quality brake pads. Also, middle seat in second row should recline with outside passenger seats. Third row seating leather has come unattached and not sure how to have it fixed. Looks crappy like that. Gas mileage is garbage but what can you expect from that large of a vehicle. The a/c fan inside the dash makes a light squealing sounds periodically and I'm sure Ford won't hear it to fix it.

Excellent vehicle
By timbo2 on 03/17/07 08:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Recently upgraded from 1998 XLT 4x4 Expedition that was still excellent after 129,000 miles including 4,000 yearly miles towing a 7,000# travel trailer. The new 2004 Eddie Bauer feels stronger with the extra 30 HP with 5.4L engine. This one has everything except air suspension and navigation system. So far around town averaging 16.7 mpg. Other than rear axle whine which will be fixed next week am extremely happy with this vehicle. Ford hit the spot with this one!

Still going strong
By jeff88 on 02/21/07 10:01 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Our '04 Expy EB with 4wd has been a great ride so far. We have been trouble and maintenance free and after 2.8 years of ownership @ 45k miles, we are very happy with it. It's a great SUV for long road trips, carrying large items, easily configurable for cargo, carries 8 comfortably for short trips and 6 for long trips. This truck has been reliable and safe. Am glad I did not invest in an extended warranty. We are still running on the original Contis and expect to get them to 50k or maybe 60k. It has not been in the shop for anything besides normal 5k maintenance and operating costs are minimal except for gas costs. The fuel costs are offset by carrying capacity for people and items.

Ford Never Again
By t.jones67 on 11/11/06 15:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I drive my Ford for work. Most of my miles are highway miles. The air conditioner went out early on. At 46,600 miles the transmission is out. It is out of warranty. The dealership did pick up $1000 of the $2k bill. A transmission should not go out at 46k miles. Funny thing is I had a Taurus that the air went out early and the transmission dropped at 60k. Ford seems to have problems with these. This is the last Ford I will ever buy. If you have to have a Ford-buy the extended warranty.

Great SUV
By Dave on 09/17/06 19:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have been a "Ford Guy" for a long time. Over the years owned a Ranger, a F150, a Probe, a Mustang, and now every SUV they have made except the Bronco II. I am not disappointed. This is one comfortable ride. Every feature I could ask for and looks great. Rides smooth and for the size I am getting pretty good MPG.

An excellent SUV
By teldoc on 07/12/06 11:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned Tahoes, Expeditions, Land Cruisers and currently also have an LR3. Our 04 Eddie Bauer Expedition has been an excellent performer. It's comfortable to drive and the ride is way nicer than the previous suspension set up. The additional power offered by 05s would be welcome but the 2 valve motors are adequate. This SUV just eats up the miles on road trips. Ours has been extremely reliable. We have 56,000 miles and I took it to Firestone telling them to replace the brakes...I get a call an hour later saying there's 50% pad left and the rotors look fine.