2004 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Great family hauler
By mike on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I'm a die-hard ford guy and the expedition did not prove me wrong. Have ran it 3 years and 80k. Only has needed brakes and tires. Rear seat material seems to be a little dry rotted but with 2 boys it doesn't really matter. Always runs strong, wife loves it. Bought a new fusion but the wife will never give up her expedition. When we go on vacation, we put a bubble on the roof, rear basket on the hitch and she's good to go. Found a homeowners plow for the front and she even plows the driveway in the winter. Need to tow no problem. Have towed 5500 lbs piece of cake. Now looking at a camper to tow. You can't find a crossover with good mpg that will do as much.

Still Glad I own it
By TW on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2004. Has custom steering wheel and faux wood dash from dealer. This SUV is great. Simple comfort and easy to drive. Much better handling once I got rid of the Contitrac tires that came OEM and upgraded to some excellent Goodyear Forteras. Only one maintenance problem with rear compressor which was ~$450 to replace. Only have 47,000 miles on the truck. I think this truck will last a long time.

I call it a truck
By Vic on 08/13/10 12:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm a working musician/bandleader. My band performs at upscale banquets and hi end country clubs,. we often work in tuxedos. I need a vehicle that is both presentable and functional. My Black expedition has served me well and I continue to be very pleased with it. I do however, I only have two comments. I don't need third row seats, I prefer not to pay for Leather seats that are berried under cargo. Give me the option of storage compartments in that area instead. My second comment is to provide some tie downs in the cargo area. Hopefully, Ford realizes that Expedition owners and drivers aren't all soccer moms.

4th One!
By JDB on 08/10/10 12:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Considering the price of these vehicles’ new, I always look for a new used one. Believe me, no one else knows or cares. At over 50K brand new, I get the same luxury for around 30K, or less. I think the Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, is one of the most awesome SUVs on the market today. They are as reliable and dependable as any Toyota, and like Toyota, they don’t change style much. For an SUV, you just can’t go wrong. I have 160K on mine now, and it purrs like a kitten. But, as an engineer, I can’t stress to you the value of maintenance!! You keep the fluids changed and tune it; you will be one happy camper. ALL of

Saved Our Lives
By Blessed on 08/04/10 15:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Best car ever! airbags are amazing.worked perfect. Car totaled but safety features are great! Will buy again! If not for this car I would not be here typing this! Thank you Ford for a well made vehicle!

My best car ever
By sam1174 on 07/11/10 19:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 Expedition Eddie Bauer about two years ago. When I bought it it had 130,000 miles on it. It seemed to be in excellent condition when I bought it, especially for a vehicle with that many miles on it. Since then I have put another 35,000 miles on it, and every one of them has been completely trouble free. This vehicle has performed flawlessly the entire time I've owned it. I've never had a vehicle with this many miles on it. It's still my vehicle of choice for long trips! We recently returned from a 1000 mile trip up to the mountains, and as expected, the Expedition gave us no problems at all. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a reliable, roomy car.

First timer
By Reaper on 05/18/10 09:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have never been a ford person always a dodge kind of guy. Needed a more family sized suv, durango wasn't cutting it. Love this thing, very roomy, stylish, and powerful. And as far as im concerned the saftey is great. sister had one and rolled it down a 300ft cliff, and it brought my family back to me after the wreak, after that it sold me on them. Granted i have only had it a week but i love this thing. went all the way through it and didnt find anything mechanicly wrong with it exept the rear passenger seat belt dosent work but the place i bought it from said they would replace it for FREE.

I really wanted to like this Truck.
By Advancing on 04/21/10 01:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

On my third rear end covered by warranty. A ticking in the drivers side door that nobody can find, plastic cladding on doors are fading badly (garage kept), tire pressure monitors useless, paid for leather got something that isn't leather (perhaps it comes from plastic cows), tailgate has blisters in the paint, steering wheel cover falling off. All these issues are created by accountant driven engineering. On the up side I pull a 6500 lb boat and it does it quite well although I doubt it could pull the 8500 lbs its rated for. Handles well for a large truck. Excellent brakes. Engine performance from the 5.4 L is great. Climate control is good. Good winter vehicle. Inspires in all weather

Great SUV
By johnie1 on 03/18/10 14:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Expedition XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am getting around 460 miles per tank on the highway. That is doing 70-75 mph w/ ac on. Plus I always keep the maintenance up to date

Never again!
By Don S on 03/07/10 12:54 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Expedition XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Had problems with the steering and rust on the rear door while under warranty. Had problems with the differential seals 39,000. Brake seals went at 40,000; Caliper froze and destroyed front rotor at 51,000; Same caliper froze at 102,000 replaced rotor, break line, seals. Front bearing replaced at same time; 2 months later at 104,000 rear wheel bearing went. Never use this for off road and very minimal light towing. All highway miles and very costly to own. Beware!