Used 2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Safest Car Ever
By rajkosman

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2004 Expedition used with 20000 miles on it in 2006. I have enjoyed this vehicle every mile I've owned it. Unfortunately the other day I was rear ended by a commercial vehicle doing 45 mph. It was the end of the Expedition, but the quality of this vehicle saved my life. I would recommend this vehicle 100 times out of 100! Looking for a new one as we speak.

Favorite Features

Safety first, comfort second. This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. My 2nd Expedition and certainly not my last.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a thing.

I call it a truck
By Vic

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm a working musician/bandleader. My band performs at upscale banquets and hi end country clubs,. we often work in tuxedos. I need a vehicle that is both presentable and functional. My Black expedition has served me well and I continue to be very pleased with it. I do however, I only have two comments. I don't need third row seats, I prefer not to pay for Leather seats that are berried under cargo. Give me the option of storage compartments in that area instead. My second comment is to provide some tie downs in the cargo area. Hopefully, Ford realizes that Expedition owners and drivers aren't all soccer moms.

Favorite Features

There is great space to store and stash things in console ,doors and in the rear. I love the tilt mirrors while reversing. Also the beeping when backing and getting too close to an object while backing.

Suggested Improvements

The third row seat should be optional. Some type of Tie downs in the cargo area. Break dust is excessive.

Road Trip Warrior
By fourmonkeys

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We've owned our EB for about 2 1/2 years now and it has never dissappointed. It was comfortable with 4 kids in car seats and stuffed to the brim with a week's supply of stuff on a 4000 mile roundtrip. It's a good to and from vehicle, especially with a bunch of kids, pop in a DVD and go. And you can tow a 5000 trailer with ease, barely noticeable with the power of the 5.4.  An interesting side note, the front clip of a Cadillac Catera will fit in the back, with the seats folded down of course. I'll sell it when the wheels fall off, great do-whatever-you-need-to-do truck.

Favorite Features

Roominess. Engine. Powerfold seats. 6 disc changer in the dash

Suggested Improvements

Tweeters in the pillar, sound is kind of muddy, bass is great when no one's in the 3rd row. Everything else is pretty good.

Good Truck ,Not reliable
By Brandon

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Expedition, my other was an 03. While I do greatly apppreciate the interior design and roominess, the seats are not very supportive at all. My transmission went out at 60k miles, and I just put a new alternator in it. Now I am being told that the rear climate system needs a new motor. It thumps whenever you turn it on. It is just problem after problem with these Ford's and I heavily reccomend you not buy one. I am going to trade in my Expedition for an 04 Chevrolet Tahoe LT. My Expedition is beautiful solid black with the chrome exhaust, but is certainly not beauiful for my pocket book! Go with the more reliable, cheaper to fix, better re-sale value GM Suvs. You will thank me

Favorite Features

Love the chrome exhaust, look of the two-tone leather seats, rear parking sensors, power 3rd row. Solid black with black trim.

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper to fix, better on gas like the GM SUVs, more comfortable.

Transmission Out at 66K
By JS

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Heads up. From a stoplight going down a hill, it felt like I ran over two broomsticks. We then had no gears to run in. My wife and I pulled into a parking lot. I looked under the car, no fluid dripping out. All fluid levels checked OK (good and pink). After that, I tried to pull out, No reverse. I had no D gear and the only way I could drive was in 1 or 2. We drove to the dealer where we were told that a sump gear was broken. $2100 later, we have a rebuilt transmission. We will be in contact with the Ford Motor Corp. to try and recoup some money.

Favorite Features

Outstanding comfort features, great traveling vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas economy