Durable, Dependable, Best Truck on the Road
By phoenixatlanta on
2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)
I purchased a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition in 2006 with 37,000 miles on it. Aside from routine 5,000 mile oil changes using Pennzoil Synthetic Motor Oil, I have only had two issues. At 125,000 miles, I replaced all eight spark plugs with basic NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and the engine runs smooth and plenty of power. The alternator was replaced at 165,000 miles due to low output; however, was changed as preventative and never caused mechanical breakdown. I am a DOT engineer and occasionally tow a bobcat on a large dual axel trailer and it tows better then my co-workers 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi pickup truck. Would recommend this to those who want a solid, dependable, SUV!
Favorite Features
Triton 5.4 V8 has plenty of power and is 8,900 lbs rated tow capacity. I work in Tennessee and Georgia, in very hilly areas and can easily tow a CAT dozer 272C rated at 8362 lbs., loaded on a CAT JLG 7610 flatbed trailer rated at 2,500 lbs. Though this is over the recommended tow weight of 8,900, by nearly 2000 lbs., beautifully. Runs great on 87 unleaded; however, use 93 grade when towing over 5000 lbs. for better shifting and acceleration when passing or merging. I currently have 241,883 miles on the vehicle, which is 2003, and have had no mechanical break downs or even warranty repairs/recalls aside from a tire replacement of all four tires from Firestone.
Suggested Improvements
If you maintain proper oil change procedures, drain transmission fluid and fill when recommended, and have certified mechanic perform timing belt tune up every 125,000, this vehicle will run and run. Spent $110 to upgrade K&N airflow filter and gas mileage increased roughly 4%, would not recommend in very dusty environments. Would like to see better quality rubber floor mats standard and leather seat guards for those who practically live in their vehicle. Also, a large screen DVD system for the children would be an improvement. A built in 120 volt inverter with two outlets in the rear compartment would be a great idea for use on the job site. Still, wouldn't trade it for anything!