Used 2003 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

It's a keeper
By DMILLS76

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So far (knock on wood) this truck has been fantastic. Gas mileage is horrendous at 14/18, but everything else is superb. Interior is extremely spacious, towing is excellent. I love this SUV.

Favorite Features

Interior, towing.

Suggested Improvements

More power for the 4.6 l engine. I've seen the Mustang with 300 hp out of this engine, why not the bigger vehicle?

We love the Big Cat
By newEra

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our Eddie Bauer in June of 2005 with only 14k miles on it. We dubbed it the "Big Cat" and we always "take the cat" when we go in it. After purchase, we took off from Ohio to Yellowstone with a family of 5 (3 teens - one of them 6'3 185) Very comfortable. Now we have 80k+. Only minor things. I bought the 100k warranty. Ready to use it for 2nd time. 18+ mpg on trips - 15+ mpg around home (hilly countryside). I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Watch the Contenential tires - plys go bad. Choose tires wisely. I bought more aggressive ones this time and cost me over 1 mpg.

Favorite Features

Memory adjustment on seats. Room - power (5.4 L has lots of grunt)

Suggested Improvements

Front windows roll up too slow - rear are much faster. All I've seen seem to be this way.

Good So Far
By JJU

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this SUV when our first child was born as the 'family truckster' for taking everyone and everything to the beach, grandma's house, etc. This vehicle is what it is: a giant mover of people and stuff with the aerodynamics of a cinder block. If you don't ask it to be anything other than that, it's fine. Has been reliable and comfortable to drive, with good seats, a soft rear independent suspension and a nice tight turning radius. Holds my family (we have since added a 2nd child) and all our stuff. When we get where we are going and the stuff comes out, the rear seats fold up and we can carry more people.

Favorite Features

Interior room, rear fold-down seats, independent rear suspension, big beefy brakes

Suggested Improvements

Ford did owners of this SUV a great disservice by equipping them with cheap Continental tires. Once the originals wore out I replaced them with Michelins, and experienced a noticeable improvement in handling. Also, upgrade the stereo and extend the standard warranty to compete with the imports.

Runs Great
By BrianJS

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck. Bought it used in 2005 with 30,000 miles. After 2 1/2 years and adding 33,000 miles, had to replace the alternator...that's it. Fully loaded with passangers and luggage, and pulling a 20 foot ski boat; it still gets almost 17 mpg (4.6L engine). Love the 4 wheel disc brakes. Has a very tight turning radius, very easy to park.

Favorite Features

Too many to list.

Suggested Improvements

Slighty better gas mileage

Good vehicle
By pabuehl

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this with 30,000 and now have 52,000 with no problems. This is the second Eddie Bauer and both have been reliable/safe vehicles. 13 mgp in town/21 on road. Friend has a 1999 w/200000 with same results. I'll buy another.

Favorite Features

Safe/solid feel. I really like the outside looks

Suggested Improvements

The larger V-8 is much better moving this amount of metal around