2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
nice ride
By mike1 on 06/02/05 21:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My vehicle must have been put together in the middle of the week. It is quiet and have had no problems at all so far!

SUV
By abzotech on 05/07/05 14:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Had a problem with noise comming from the transmission. Took at about 6 trips to a Ford mechanics to 3 different dealerships, and two calls to Ford directly to finally figure out what the problem is.

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
By Cary Nimnicht on 04/25/05 10:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have had the pleasure to drive this vehicle both in the city and the highway and found it a true joy to drive. From the interior space and easy loading and unloading of passenger in all three sections to the handling and spacious seating within the interior. Whether I am taking the neighborhood kids to a ball game or loading up three couples, the leg room and comfort of the seats are always a comment I receive. I have had no mechanical problems.

Nice beginning, but failed in execution
By SW on 03/08/05 17:45 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Ford had the right idea when they redesigned the old Expedition in 2003. They got many things right like the first independent rear suspension in a large SUV, the flat rear folding seats. But, the build quality and never-ending list of technical service bulletins for chronic problems is frustrating especially to those accustomed to Japanese reliability standards.

Great truck
By Greg on 03/01/05 17:22 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

It's the family prime mover and it's been across the USA twice and up and down each coast with no problems. The economy isn't the best, but it pulls a trailer with ease and also isn't affected with gear on the roof. The interior is great with loads of room and even adults can use the third row. We have the FX4 which turns out is pretty rare, even dealers are surprised to see it when we take it in for service. If it wasn't for the front brake dust issue, it would be perfect. It's been in for warranty on leather seats, rear seat frame rust, and roof paint too thin.

Multi-purpose Vehicle
By new mom on 02/08/05 09:05 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Expedition/ I thought it may be difficult to get used to driving a large car but it drives and handles excellent. I have an infant and it is great for hauling all of his stuff around. We also recently went on a long trip and it was great; lots of room and the gas mileage was much better than expected. We have carried everything from people to lumber in this thing and have never been disappointed.

Kermitt Bites
By kermitt bites on 02/07/05 15:22 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has been a nightmare since the beginning. The problems have been from brakes squealing, the driverside power seat motor going out to the rear end being worked on four times. We even got the Ford rep involved and she claims that the truck is fixed even though the clutches in the rearend are still messing up. We now have 17,000 miles on the truck and we are going to have to eat several thousand dollars in order to trade it. We have resulted to putting poster boards on the truck with lemon signs on it and driving it around Oklahoma City

Wife loves it
By Eric Cavanagh on 01/17/05 10:35 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Despite my resolve to never buy a big SUV due to MPG issues, my wife talked me into this one. In fairness, it is a nice truck, good to look at, fun to drive, comfortable and seats 8. Had a van, but she tired of it after almost 10 years. MPG is about 14 city, 17 highway (with no lead foot). Throws a lot of brake dust, especially in front. Good on long trips. Bought with 33K miles & put more than 10K on it so far with no cost to repair other than rotors on the rear. Fronts had been replaced before I bought. Seems early for rotors. Truck gives feeling of power and sits high enough to see everything. If you don't care about mpg, get this or the Eddie Bauer.

2003 No Problems
By GB on 01/16/05 13:42 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This car has met all my expectations. Plenty of room and creature comforts for a large family. Great performance when pulling a 7,000 lb. trailer, handles it with no problems. Only downside is poor gas mileage in city driving conditions, better than expected when on highway (18 MPG). I would definitely purchase this vehicle again.

GOT A LEMON!
By Mike on 12/29/04 11:53 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Vehicle was in the shop for 42 days the first 18 months. Ford is buying back the vehicle and refunding ALL my money (thank god). Problems: Rear differentials (3), side mirrors, side vent windows, drivers seat, front differential, brakes. RESALE IS HORRIBLE!!! BEWARE!