Used 2003 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

love the vehicle, hate the brakes
By jimmiej48

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love the vehicle. Lots of storage room and comfort. Awesome on long trips with the kids if you can survive the cost of fuel. Still gets at least 12 in town and sometimes as high as 21 on highway. The biggest complaint to date though, is the brakes/rotors. With less than 57,000 miles on the truck, the brakes have been replaced twice and the rotors now three times. Would be understandable if we were crazy drivers!

Roominess, comfort, leather seats, heated mirrors, and the electrochromatic rear view mirror. So nice not to have to switch the mirror at night.

Definitely the brakes. Also, the position of the rear entertainment DVD system. Blocks a good portion of your rear vision when in use. Should be mandatory to be in the headrests or such. Rear backup sensors should be standard as well. That's a big truck when trying to move about in a parking lot

Stinks
By Need Outta This SUV

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have only had this a couple of months and it's ridiculous the amount of problems I have already had with this thing. It stinks on gas, I put in $20 every other day, $300 a month. The mechanical probs I've had are: the mirrors, they constantly move when turning on and off car, they even did it while Reversing (can be shut off), rough engine idle, and motion detector is really sensitive even when there is more room. RV mirrors won't go back into position, they look up at the sky when I get in my car, so I have to adjust often.

Plenty of room and the third row is power.

Knock it off with the constant changing mirror directions, I don't need them to do that!

Great truck
By rudi

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. The only problem we've ever had with it was after 2 years we had to replace the alternator, and a few months ago we put a bad tank of gas in it and it ran badly, but once we got fresh gas, it runs great. Pretty peppy, even with the 4.6l v8.4wd works great. Tires stunk, replaced with Michelin xlt. Interior is nice, and roomy. Got a nice ford 9.75" rear axle and a ford 8.8 in the front sweet. Could use a cv joint in the rear driveshaft instead of the u-joint, but no biggie. Can handle mild off roading pretty well. Just hit 44,000 miles, still running great. Towing is fantastic.

Good engine peppy. Center console. Comfortable. Lots of room.

Better gas mileage, (13 city/17hwy

The most reliable Ford I've ever owned!
By Marz

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have never been a big fan of domestic vehicles due to previous problems. I have a 2003 Ford Expedition with FX4 package, 5.4L V8, captain chairs in the middle, 3rd row seating, skid plates and tube bars all factory parts. I currently have 120,000+ miles on this vehicle and never, not even once have I had any repairs done on this truck. It has truly been rock solid since the day that I bought it. My only complaint is the fuel economy but its expected. I have a large family so needed something this size. But all in all, this has been my fav SUV and wouldn't trade it for anything.

5.4L V8, leather interior, middle row captain seating, adv track 4x4 and stability controls.

Better transmission. It's at 120K miles now and the tranny is starting to slip. Looking back at the notes the previous owner had the same trouble when he bought it brand new. Refine the 5.4L V8 just a little more towards economy.

2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition
By otterbout

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Driving and owning this 6th E.B. model in a 4-wheeler is no disappointment. My husband has the 5.4 in his Lightning and happy to say I can still see his tail lights when we leave a stop light. Don't do it often but nice to feel the supreme power and handling in a really big truck. The interior appointments include nav, DVD, htd seats and awesome sound. Greenhouse is supreme except for blind spot at A & B pillars. Easy to miss objects while backing up so like rear sensing device. Overall, Ford has done a 100 on this vehicle when it comes to design and features. General tires awful. Replaced with Goodyear Forteras for outstanding performance, handling and traction. Will get another.

Heated, cooled sts, power fold 3rd row, cup holders everywhere. Great looks, keyless entry, auto fade radio, huge interior useable storage, tight trning radius, awesome acceleration, quiet engine above impact zone for safety and all E.B. extras.

A & B pillar visibility. Towing mirrors shld be std. Better tires and fuel performance though 16 city is okay 18 hgwy shld be better. Seats cracked so better quality leather and floor mats. More efcnt air induction sys. Wish Ford made insert for flush floor storage with 2nd row cptn's chairs.