Used 2003 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 310 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great Towing & Family Transport
By Steve

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our first 4x4 as a pre-owned certified vehicle and were originally sold on the Ford as compared to the Suburban based on the interior layout and fold-flat seating. The vehicle was needed to tow some heavy loads off-road and it has performed superbly in this role. The only complaint is a somewhat noisy (whiny)transmission low gear transfer case and the unpainted plastic door protection outer trim that is prone to oxidize. We have had no major mechanical problems and only a window drive motor to repair.

Fold-flat seats makes for extremely versatile cargo handling.

Paint the trim!

Second Expo, still happy
By happycamper

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Expedition. I have 102K miles and other than tires and brakes, haven't touched a thing. I get respectable mileage (16+mpg)considering the size. This truck is fun to drive, handles like a much smaller vehicle. Have had problems with F series but the Expeditions are tops in my book. Tows my trailer with ease. Always plenty of power when needed.

Handling, turning radius, comfort features. Third row power seats a major plus.

Improve economy?

love the vehicle, hate the brakes
By jimmiej48

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love the vehicle. Lots of storage room and comfort. Awesome on long trips with the kids if you can survive the cost of fuel. Still gets at least 12 in town and sometimes as high as 21 on highway. The biggest complaint to date though, is the brakes/rotors. With less than 57,000 miles on the truck, the brakes have been replaced twice and the rotors now three times. Would be understandable if we were crazy drivers!

Roominess, comfort, leather seats, heated mirrors, and the electrochromatic rear view mirror. So nice not to have to switch the mirror at night.

Definitely the brakes. Also, the position of the rear entertainment DVD system. Blocks a good portion of your rear vision when in use. Should be mandatory to be in the headrests or such. Rear backup sensors should be standard as well. That's a big truck when trying to move about in a parking lot

Stinks
By Need Outta This SUV

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have only had this a couple of months and it's ridiculous the amount of problems I have already had with this thing. It stinks on gas, I put in $20 every other day, $300 a month. The mechanical probs I've had are: the mirrors, they constantly move when turning on and off car, they even did it while Reversing (can be shut off), rough engine idle, and motion detector is really sensitive even when there is more room. RV mirrors won't go back into position, they look up at the sky when I get in my car, so I have to adjust often.

Plenty of room and the third row is power.

Knock it off with the constant changing mirror directions, I don't need them to do that!

Great truck
By rudi

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. The only problem we've ever had with it was after 2 years we had to replace the alternator, and a few months ago we put a bad tank of gas in it and it ran badly, but once we got fresh gas, it runs great. Pretty peppy, even with the 4.6l v8.4wd works great. Tires stunk, replaced with Michelin xlt. Interior is nice, and roomy. Got a nice ford 9.75" rear axle and a ford 8.8 in the front sweet. Could use a cv joint in the rear driveshaft instead of the u-joint, but no biggie. Can handle mild off roading pretty well. Just hit 44,000 miles, still running great. Towing is fantastic.

Good engine peppy. Center console. Comfortable. Lots of room.

Better gas mileage, (13 city/17hwy