2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Brake Problems Galore
By Not Again on 03/09/06 08:07 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We love the Expedition's looks and capabilities. However, we've had nothing but problems since purchasing. The brakes and/or rotors need replaced every 6 months. Neither the dealer or Ford will admit there's a problem. And no, it's not the driving style as we've never experienced problems like this with other SUV's or cars. Never again with a Ford.

Eddie Bauer Expedition - Great Vehicle!
By rsilva on 02/20/06 12:03 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My 2003 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned (out of 20+ vehicles lifetime purchases). The ride is smooth, power & acceleration is plentiful, and comfort/amenities are a treat. I put all 33k miles on it since purchased new and I've never had maintenance problems. After recent tire replacement with Michelin, the ride even got better ... it's a keeper!

Best SUV I've ever owned
By CodyG on 01/25/06 08:16 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've been driving SUVs since 1973. My first was a GMC Jimmy. All have been 4x4 since then and I've had seven in all since '73, mostly GM products. This Ford Expedition has absolutely topped 'em all. It is very comfortable, handles great and turns much better than my last SUV Tahoe. Third third row seat ROCKS. The independent suspension is da bomb shizzle! I now have 110,000 miles with only one minor problem ... the rear AC went out. Other than that this SUV has given NO problems.

owner
By Bob Drake on 01/11/06 14:40 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have had nine Suburbans over the years starting in 1970 and this is a nice change. Pulling power has been great, body tight, comfortable.

EB 2003 Loaded
By Charles Deca on 01/07/06 15:35 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

From the beginning the Electrical, RSR system failed causing undo wear to tires and transmission. Never addressed! Noise leaking through door and window seals? Windshield Wipers lasted 1 year? Brakes lock up now and again? Power steering warning light went on and a fix went out from Ford and the dealer just pulled the fuse? Large rattling noise heard by shop foreman and never fixed? All were under the three year or 36 k miles but never addressed. Bought the SUV with hopes to recover the large down payment loan to value. Ordered new Ford King Ranch came in late and not as ordered? Salesmen very nice but how does that help me as I lost my buyer for my Ford SUV!

Never buy 1st year of new model
By RED on 10/31/05 19:23 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Vehicle drives much better that 2001. Really like the folding automatic rear seats. Problem is that bugs are not out of the first year. Brake dust everywhere. Fix by Ford cost me $900. Mirrors broke and needed to be replaced. Whine in rear end and when one presses on the gas the air conditioning fan motor slows. Standard tires not good. Didn't look at Edmunds technical bulletins until a few miles out of warranty and dealer said tough luck. Gas mileage 13.6 MPG. In the main a nice riding truck and if you want one don't get a 2003. You will see a lot of 2003's on sale.

It's Been Great
By wwtexas on 08/21/05 15:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased an Eddie Bauer Expedition in April of 2003. It has over 76,000 miles and and has had only minor maintenance issues. Can't complain. It still rides and drives like it did when I first bought it. Gas mileage is the only draw-back.

2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer
By Mark B on 07/11/05 13:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have so enjoyed my 2003 Expedition! It handles so well. I have pulled a 27' trailer with it and it handled and powered better than my wife's 2005 Yukon XL. Fold flat rear seats make it great for hauling large cargo. The navigation system and rear DVD have been used and enjoyed extensively.

So Far so Good
By Bluyo on 06/17/05 15:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So far so good. We take this SUV to beach in the summer and make full use of the on the fly 4X4 which is great. We have fit so far 6 people, 3 dogs and camping gear in it and no problem. It is very comfortable to drive and has great features. Fuel economy is not the best, but you can expect that from any full size SUV.

Sour on Ford Expedition
By Brian on 06/07/05 14:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My 2003 Expy has been in the shop for at least 6 weeks since I bought it. A/C went out twice and the rear end has been replaced 3 times. I'm currently waiting for my 4th rear end. The a/c cuts out during highway drives. Now the gas tank makes a popping sound when you shut off the engine and the auto dimmer doesn't work on the rear view mirror. I've had the side trim panels replaced after 20k miles because they were rotting out. Seat belts wouldn't retract at 30k. Replaced them. The radio reception is terrible on AM and FM. Front end had a bad vibration fixed after 3k miles. Something about replacing springs. Engine idles very rough now also. Service has been good but face it, Ford is real garbage.