Used 2003 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 310 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great SUV
By floridadriver

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Expedition brand new and it has been great to us. Love everything about it. We had an Explorer before that we also liked but we needed a bigger car with the dogs and the boat. It is great for towing and long trips- so comfortable. I hope to drive it as long as it lasts- but I would not hesitate about getting another Expedition down the road.

Comfort, third row seats. Easy to drive.

The seatbelt warning does not have to be so loud

2003 Ford Expedition Rocks
By FordExpeditions

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We love the vehicle. We have a family of 6 plus pets and it's got plenty of room for all. Rear air started making a noise at 68K miles, but otherwise it's been a very reliable vehicle. We'll miss this vehicle when it's time to trade.

Comfortable third row seats. Smooth ride for a fullsize SUV. Great for towing. Very loud horn!

Need to improve gas mileage. Back hatch needs to be easier to open/close. Nice if the back windows rolled down. Even louder horn! Bigger tires with aggressive tread.

Not sure what to think
By carguy89

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it brand new in 03. After about a year or two the autolock on the doors quit working, rear wiper was sticking, and plastic molding on doors was badly sunfaded. Had to replace brakes twice with less than 100,000 miles. Every once in a while when you start it a clould of smoke puffs out of the exhaust. When you start the car with the AC set to On you hear a loud "klunk". Just replaced front wheel bearing and still need to replace back one mechanic said. For not even having 100,000 miles on it we've done quite a bit to it. Looks sharp. Hoping to squeeze another 100,000 out of it. Don't know about getting another one. Engine is loosing it's "get up".

Nice looking truck and interior.

Paint molding!

Great Vehicle. Will Purchase Another
By Dennis B

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle. Only problem we have had was the rear air conditioning motor, which was covered by the warranty. We love this thing and it seems to love us and what we put it through. From dirt roads to snow and pulling our boat, it does it all, without difficulty. The only thing replacing our Ford Expedition will be another (EL Version), once we're free of payments for a few years.

Cleans up nice, through all we put it through, once washed, she looks brand new. Good job Ford, see you in a few years.

The interior seat belt warning alarm could be a little less annoying (and quieter).

Current & future Ford owner
By EddieL

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Well I have to say I am very pleased with this SUV. I have owned it for year and a half now. I bought it with 52k now 69k. I had one problem with the rear wheel bearings which was covered in the warranty. It drives great, tons of power, very roomy. I go fishing a lot and I can go anywhere off road in any conditions. I will say that the p series tires stink with this SUV in 4x4. The all terrain tires are the way to go. As for the gas mileage I think it does great. I went to visit my brother 400 mles from me and I filled up when we left and again about 100 miles from his house. I have allways been a GM guy and I am used to seeing 60- 80 dollars at the pump to fill up. I will buy a Ford again

The navagation is great. The rear camera is a nice thing to have. Third row seat very roomy and easy to set up. Power pedals for my wife. The back gate is so easy to open and shut

Better DVD system. I had to put aftermaket to meet my family's needs. A 15 inch screen is much better for the back and third row seats. And for the price and a factory bluetooth would have been nice but I had it instaled anyway