Used 2003 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

No more Ford
By Tom

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it new, within four years of ownership I had several minor to major problems with the SUV. Air condition would "clunk" when you turn it on. Side mirrors always adjust when unlocking. Alternator gave out. the 3rd spark plug blew out. water would always leak into the vehicle on the driver side windshield handle area when it rains. now the radiator is loosing fluid somewhere. lots of front wheel brake dust.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable on long distance drive. plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

Better Engine.

It's OK
By DrCPsych

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

When I purchased this car, I was so excited! But, the ignition gave me problems and Ford kept telling me nothing was wrong with it. Then, the interior headliner was rattling. They fixed it and it kept rattling at high speeds. Then the buttons to open the windows fell through the hole they were supposed to be secured in. Several years later, the DVD player wouldn't work and the CD player didn't work either. The brakes needed changing at 20,000 miles! OK, so we had a great deal of problems but I like this truck. However, I would not buy another one! I will buy a Honda or Toyota SUV next time when the economy is better.

Favorite Features

Rugged, bold look. Great engine. Great car to haul the wife, kids and grandparents.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, higher quality interior design (i.e., a dvd/cd player that lasts!. Better tires!

Best built SUV in America.
By speedygk

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Other than the fuel mileage, it is by far the best truck/SUV out on the market.

Favorite Features

The fold down 3rd row seat, and the rear entertainment package.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage, and a less sensitive fuel system. I got bad fuel once and it turned on my service engine soon. 3 tanks later,it shut off. Fuel system is really just to picky it is a truck, simplify the system.

Great SUV
By floridadriver

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Expedition brand new and it has been great to us. Love everything about it. We had an Explorer before that we also liked but we needed a bigger car with the dogs and the boat. It is great for towing and long trips- so comfortable. I hope to drive it as long as it lasts- but I would not hesitate about getting another Expedition down the road.

Favorite Features

Comfort, third row seats. Easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The seatbelt warning does not have to be so loud

2003 Ford Expedition Rocks
By FordExpeditions

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We love the vehicle. We have a family of 6 plus pets and it's got plenty of room for all. Rear air started making a noise at 68K miles, but otherwise it's been a very reliable vehicle. We'll miss this vehicle when it's time to trade.

Favorite Features

Comfortable third row seats. Smooth ride for a fullsize SUV. Great for towing. Very loud horn!

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve gas mileage. Back hatch needs to be easier to open/close. Nice if the back windows rolled down. Even louder horn! Bigger tires with aggressive tread.