2003 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
love the vehicle, hate the brakes
By jimmiej48 on 04/21/08 09:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love the vehicle. Lots of storage room and comfort. Awesome on long trips with the kids if you can survive the cost of fuel. Still gets at least 12 in town and sometimes as high as 21 on highway. The biggest complaint to date though, is the brakes/rotors. With less than 57,000 miles on the truck, the brakes have been replaced twice and the rotors now three times. Would be understandable if we were crazy drivers!

Stinks
By Need Outta This SUV on 04/04/08 11:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have only had this a couple of months and it's ridiculous the amount of problems I have already had with this thing. It stinks on gas, I put in $20 every other day, $300 a month. The mechanical probs I've had are: the mirrors, they constantly move when turning on and off car, they even did it while Reversing (can be shut off), rough engine idle, and motion detector is really sensitive even when there is more room. RV mirrors won't go back into position, they look up at the sky when I get in my car, so I have to adjust often.

Great truck
By rudi on 04/03/08 09:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. The only problem we've ever had with it was after 2 years we had to replace the alternator, and a few months ago we put a bad tank of gas in it and it ran badly, but once we got fresh gas, it runs great. Pretty peppy, even with the 4.6l v8.4wd works great. Tires stunk, replaced with Michelin xlt. Interior is nice, and roomy. Got a nice ford 9.75" rear axle and a ford 8.8 in the front sweet. Could use a cv joint in the rear driveshaft instead of the u-joint, but no biggie. Can handle mild off roading pretty well. Just hit 44,000 miles, still running great. Towing is fantastic.

The most reliable Ford I've ever owned!
By Marz on 03/24/08 12:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have never been a big fan of domestic vehicles due to previous problems. I have a 2003 Ford Expedition with FX4 package, 5.4L V8, captain chairs in the middle, 3rd row seating, skid plates and tube bars all factory parts. I currently have 120,000+ miles on this vehicle and never, not even once have I had any repairs done on this truck. It has truly been rock solid since the day that I bought it. My only complaint is the fuel economy but its expected. I have a large family so needed something this size. But all in all, this has been my fav SUV and wouldn't trade it for anything.

2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition
By otterbout on 03/24/08 00:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Driving and owning this 6th E.B. model in a 4-wheeler is no disappointment. My husband has the 5.4 in his Lightning and happy to say I can still see his tail lights when we leave a stop light. Don't do it often but nice to feel the supreme power and handling in a really big truck. The interior appointments include nav, DVD, htd seats and awesome sound. Greenhouse is supreme except for blind spot at A & B pillars. Easy to miss objects while backing up so like rear sensing device. Overall, Ford has done a 100 on this vehicle when it comes to design and features. General tires awful. Replaced with Goodyear Forteras for outstanding performance, handling and traction. Will get another.

It's a keeper
By DMILLS76 on 03/10/08 07:06 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So far (knock on wood) this truck has been fantastic. Gas mileage is horrendous at 14/18, but everything else is superb. Interior is extremely spacious, towing is excellent. I love this SUV.

We love the Big Cat
By newEra on 02/08/08 10:26 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our Eddie Bauer in June of 2005 with only 14k miles on it. We dubbed it the "Big Cat" and we always "take the cat" when we go in it. After purchase, we took off from Ohio to Yellowstone with a family of 5 (3 teens - one of them 6'3 185) Very comfortable. Now we have 80k+. Only minor things. I bought the 100k warranty. Ready to use it for 2nd time. 18+ mpg on trips - 15+ mpg around home (hilly countryside). I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Watch the Contenential tires - plys go bad. Choose tires wisely. I bought more aggressive ones this time and cost me over 1 mpg.

Good So Far
By JJU on 02/07/08 12:37 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this SUV when our first child was born as the 'family truckster' for taking everyone and everything to the beach, grandma's house, etc. This vehicle is what it is: a giant mover of people and stuff with the aerodynamics of a cinder block. If you don't ask it to be anything other than that, it's fine. Has been reliable and comfortable to drive, with good seats, a soft rear independent suspension and a nice tight turning radius. Holds my family (we have since added a 2nd child) and all our stuff. When we get where we are going and the stuff comes out, the rear seats fold up and we can carry more people.

Runs Great
By BrianJS on 01/22/08 20:31 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck. Bought it used in 2005 with 30,000 miles. After 2 1/2 years and adding 33,000 miles, had to replace the alternator...that's it. Fully loaded with passangers and luggage, and pulling a 20 foot ski boat; it still gets almost 17 mpg (4.6L engine). Love the 4 wheel disc brakes. Has a very tight turning radius, very easy to park.

Good vehicle
By pabuehl on 01/10/08 18:20 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this with 30,000 and now have 52,000 with no problems. This is the second Eddie Bauer and both have been reliable/safe vehicles. 13 mgp in town/21 on road. Friend has a 1999 w/200000 with same results. I'll buy another.