Used 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Most Helpful|
Great Family Hauler
By mschooly

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our Expedition has done my family great over the last six years. It has survived three young children and a lot of driving vacations. It was a great family hauler with the fold flat third row, DVD system, and the heated and cooled front seats. Followed all recommended services done by dealer. Had problems with premature front tire wear until I took it to an independent tire shop to do alignment and balance every 5000. Interior rattles became a problem on rough roads after a few years of use. Gas mileage is bad around town, but better than expected on highway, as long as you go 65.

Favorite Features

Fold flat second and third row, DVD system, heated and cooled front seats

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior plastics, DVD system that loads in dash, tire pressure system that identifies specific tire and pressure

Ford needs to improve. Last Ford for us.
By Our last Ford

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After replacing the electric window controls twice, electric seat component,back-up sensor and side mirror control, enough. The 4.6 engine could not tow a 3800 lb. travel trailer decent on any incline. This was our fourth Ford vehicle and our last.

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Quit using cheap parts and improve torque on the 4.6 engine. Book shows 8900 tow capacity, figure 3000 max.

built ford tough
By built for tough

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is built for tough it tows a 9,000+ pound boat and trailer w/o any problems. Only have had one problem and that was a bad senor but besides that the truck has been nothing but great. Bought the truck with 44,000 miles and now it has 65,000 miles. The exterior has held up great and so has the interior with some wear on the front bottom of the leather seats but its not bad. Would defenitely but another expedition.

Favorite Features

roomines, great towing ability, fits anythting that you can think of bringing, very duable.

Suggested Improvements

only thing that I can possibly think of is highway gas milage but it also a truck so cant really complain, but besides that nothing.

Great SUV
By floridadriver

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Expedition brand new and it has been great to us. Love everything about it. We had an Explorer before that we also liked but we needed a bigger car with the dogs and the boat. It is great for towing and long trips- so comfortable. I hope to drive it as long as it lasts- but I would not hesitate about getting another Expedition down the road.

Favorite Features

Comfort, third row seats. Easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The seatbelt warning does not have to be so loud

It's OK
By DrCPsych

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

When I purchased this car, I was so excited! But, the ignition gave me problems and Ford kept telling me nothing was wrong with it. Then, the interior headliner was rattling. They fixed it and it kept rattling at high speeds. Then the buttons to open the windows fell through the hole they were supposed to be secured in. Several years later, the DVD player wouldn't work and the CD player didn't work either. The brakes needed changing at 20,000 miles! OK, so we had a great deal of problems but I like this truck. However, I would not buy another one! I will buy a Honda or Toyota SUV next time when the economy is better.

Favorite Features

Rugged, bold look. Great engine. Great car to haul the wife, kids and grandparents.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, higher quality interior design (i.e., a dvd/cd player that lasts!. Better tires!