Used 2003 Ford Expedition XLT Popular SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Expedition
By Very satisfied

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Popular Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After comparing to Tahoe, we found the Expedition to have a smoother ride and much more head room in 3rd row seat plus easier entry to rear. On recent trip from Arkansas to Florida, fully loaded with 4 adults and 2 children, we averaged 22 miles per gallon. Overall, we have been very pleased with the Expedition and were able to get 48 month lease for $100.00 less per month than Tahoe.

All options you need at a good price for large SUV. Rear seat fold down to make smooth area for cargo.

More room behind 3rd row seat.

A/C gone bad
By A/C gone bad

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Popular Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

A/C quits blowing after several hours of continous use. After taking into the dealer the third time, they say they can't fix it because they don't know how! The Ford engineers are working on it. Thanks for telling me the first time I brought it in! Paint flaking off the front. Lock bar inside drivers door has broke three times.

Flexibility of seats & comfort

Don't buy one!

Vibrations
By Samuel L Orlando

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Popular Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I took this vehcle to the dealer on July 7, 2003 for vibrations at 45 to 50 mph. They checked front end alignment, tire balance, replaced rear end, drive shaft, u-joints and engine and the vehicle still has the vibrations. Ford has offered to replace the vehicle with a like model and forgive the mileage. I have submitted a request for arbitration under the Lemon Law. I have found that Customer Service from the corporate office, customer service and local dealer to be disgustingly indifferent.

Size, comfort, interior exterior.

Fix the vibration problems and get rid of the Continental Tires.

I was sure I was going to own a Tahoe
By Aaron Burt

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Popular Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I wanted the 2002 Chevy Tahoe. But my wife suggested we test drive the new Expedition. Externally I thought the truck was better looking then the old style but still not as good looking as the Tahoe. But the interior sold me. I loved not having to take out the third row of seats and that at 6'1 my knees weren't up to my ears when I sat in the third row. Then with the conversation mirror and the flexible seating arrangments plus the ride quality I was hooked.

Fold flat third row, standard towing package, comfortable interior

Get the bigger engine, skip the 9th seat up front and get the console instead.

GREAT SUV IN ITS CLASS
By Shak

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Popular Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Since I've purchased the car, I felt so secured and superior with driving the car. I've had good comments from on lookers and good phrases from friends who rode in it. The ride is similar to riding a luxury sedan and it has given me a good driving view in relations to seeing everything in and out of the car from the drivers chair. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the gas consumption. Or it's just an unfortunate time when gas prices soared up.

The interior is my favorite one. It looks so executive-looking and so clean. The 3rd row seat is easily set up and pulled down. I'm already planning to put in some add on's like DVD player and monitors.

I just wish that I was offered a Premium Wheel package. The car would be complete if it had the 21" inch, chrome mags.