Used 2003 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

I Think It Willl Run Forever
By ftcollinsco93

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has over 220,000 miles on it, only thing major replaced is the fuel pump, the windshield... 3 times, and a few batteries. Runs like a champ, has a weird issue with the mirror adjusting to an unknown position when unlocked with wireless remote and driver power lock went out at 180k.

Favorite Features

Auto-Headlights, 4x4, electric fold seats, Cargo Space

Suggested Improvements

Electrical, MPG

Durable, Dependable, Best Truck on the Road
By phoenixatlanta

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition in 2006 with 37,000 miles on it. Aside from routine 5,000 mile oil changes using Pennzoil Synthetic Motor Oil, I have only had two issues. At 125,000 miles, I replaced all eight spark plugs with basic NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and the engine runs smooth and plenty of power. The alternator was replaced at 165,000 miles due to low output; however, was changed as preventative and never caused mechanical breakdown. I am a DOT engineer and occasionally tow a bobcat on a large dual axel trailer and it tows better then my co-workers 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi pickup truck. Would recommend this to those who want a solid, dependable, SUV!

Favorite Features

Triton 5.4 V8 has plenty of power and is 8,900 lbs rated tow capacity. I work in Tennessee and Georgia, in very hilly areas and can easily tow a CAT dozer 272C rated at 8362 lbs., loaded on a CAT JLG 7610 flatbed trailer rated at 2,500 lbs. Though this is over the recommended tow weight of 8,900, by nearly 2000 lbs., beautifully. Runs great on 87 unleaded; however, use 93 grade when towing over 5000 lbs. for better shifting and acceleration when passing or merging. I currently have 241,883 miles on the vehicle, which is 2003, and have had no mechanical break downs or even warranty repairs/recalls aside from a tire replacement of all four tires from Firestone.

Suggested Improvements

If you maintain proper oil change procedures, drain transmission fluid and fill when recommended, and have certified mechanic perform timing belt tune up every 125,000, this vehicle will run and run. Spent $110 to upgrade K&N airflow filter and gas mileage increased roughly 4%, would not recommend in very dusty environments. Would like to see better quality rubber floor mats standard and leather seat guards for those who practically live in their vehicle. Also, a large screen DVD system for the children would be an improvement. A built in 120 volt inverter with two outlets in the rear compartment would be a great idea for use on the job site. Still, wouldn't trade it for anything!

>> BUILT FORD TOUGH<<
By unitedwestand

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my expedition new in 2003. Its been the best truck i ever had!! Barr None. I have 272,000 miles on it. No engine or transmission problems what so ever. The alternator went out at 150,000. Ive put several sets of tires on and a few batteries. I change the oil every 4,000 miles, and a tune-up every 125,000 or so. We pull our boat with it like theres nothing behind us. We lay down the seats and camp in the back. we've hauled stuff in the back countless times, Thank god for all the room of our full size Suv. I rented a tahoe for a week while on vacation , with 25,000 on it. What a piece of Crap. like driving a tank.

Favorite Features

Drives like a much smaller auto, Handling is fantastic. The ride is better than my wifes 300 hemi. Noise levels are very low even when cruising at 85. If we take a road trip, just take it with we got room.

Suggested Improvements

the only improvement: we get 17-18 mpg, i would like to see that a little higher.

Never again
By roadsgt97

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Putting a new engine in mine, cheaper then buying a new truck. I had lots of problems with the truck. Bought it new. I like the way it drives and handles but the repairs will make you go bankrupt. When the warrenty runs out get rid of it quick. WILL not buy another ford.

Best Book Hauler in the World
By Road Warrior

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2006 with 38K on the clock, the truck now has 145K with no major repairs to engine, transmission,or 4WD system. Considering that I keep more than 1000 pounds of library book samples and other cargo in the truck on a 24/7 basis, I've been surprised as to how serviceable it has been. The fold flat third row beats the heck out of the removable seat on my van. The ride and handling lend credence to most of the professional reviews and road tests. In one emergency maneuver, it definitely saved a few lives! I did have trouble with the front rotors warping, but cross drilled rotors on the front solved that problem for good. I have no plans to sell this truck until it hits 300K.

Favorite Features

Ride and handling, especially when fully loaded. Ability to haul more stuff than three average sedans, and get me there and back regardless of the weather. One of the safest passenger vehicles on the road, even as an eight year old!

Suggested Improvements

I think the 2007 model addressed most of the needed improvements!