Used 2003 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 310 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Awesome SUV
By David R. Feld

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Ford Expedition used. 170,00miles on it. (Eddie Bauer 4X4) We are now getting near 200,000 mile and the SUV runs like new. It preforms with a quite quality that we have not found in other vehicles. My wife and I both love the performance. We planned on trading after we decided whether it was the style for us. That won't happen for quite some time, as this vehicle has exceeded expectations in all ways. The 5.4 liter motor uses no oil between changes and the gas mileage is 15 city and 17 -18.5 highway. I would recommend one of these to any one looking for a reliable vehicle.

I'm Jappy
By David Hylton

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a 2003 with 70,000 on it in 2014. I was going to get a brand new vehicle but this was to good of a deal to pass up because it was a 1 owner vehicle and was literally in new condition. I hadn't had the vehicle for 2 weeks when a drunk driver rear ended me while I was sitting at a red light with my 3 year old and 10 year old kids in the car. Drunk was doing 45mph and the impact was tremendous. He was driving a full size Chevy truck and it was completely totaled. Expedition had 1000 dollars in damage. Not only was I amazed but the police and firefighters couldn't believe it. This thing is a tank!
Mpg is awful but I knew this before I bought it so no surprise there. It rides good and no problems at all. I did change the serpentine belt just as a precaution due to its age. I'm very happy with this vehicle and the 3rd row seats that fold into the floor are a huge plus.

I Think It Willl Run Forever
By ftcollinsco93

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has over 220,000 miles on it, only thing major replaced is the fuel pump, the windshield... 3 times, and a few batteries. Runs like a champ, has a weird issue with the mirror adjusting to an unknown position when unlocked with wireless remote and driver power lock went out at 180k.

Auto-Headlights, 4x4, electric fold seats, Cargo Space

Electrical, MPG

Durable, Dependable, Best Truck on the Road
By phoenixatlanta

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition in 2006 with 37,000 miles on it.
Aside from routine 5,000 mile oil changes using Pennzoil Synthetic Motor Oil, I have only had two issues.
At 125,000 miles, I replaced all eight spark plugs with basic NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and the engine runs smooth and plenty of power.
The alternator was replaced at 165,000 miles due to low output; however, was changed as preventative and never caused mechanical breakdown.
I am a DOT engineer and occasionally tow a bobcat on a large dual axel trailer and it tows better then my co-workers 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi pickup truck.
Would recommend this to those who want a solid, dependable, SUV!

Triton 5.4 V8 has plenty of power and is 8,900 lbs rated tow capacity. I work in Tennessee and Georgia, in very hilly areas and can easily tow a CAT dozer 272C rated at 8362 lbs., loaded on a CAT JLG 7610 flatbed trailer rated at 2,500 lbs. Though this is over the recommended tow weight of 8,900, by nearly 2000 lbs., beautifully. Runs great on 87 unleaded; however, use 93 grade when towing over 5000 lbs. for better shifting and acceleration when passing or merging. I currently have 241,883 miles on the vehicle, which is 2003, and have had no mechanical break downs or even warranty repairs/recalls aside from a tire replacement of all four tires from Firestone.

If you maintain proper oil change procedures, drain transmission fluid and fill when recommended, and have certified mechanic perform timing belt tune up every 125,000, this vehicle will run and run. Spent $110 to upgrade K&N airflow filter and gas mileage increased roughly 4%, would not recommend in very dusty environments. Would like to see better quality rubber floor mats standard and leather seat guards for those who practically live in their vehicle. Also, a large screen DVD system for the children would be an improvement. A built in 120 volt inverter with two outlets in the rear compartment would be a great idea for use on the job site. Still, wouldn't trade it for anything!

>> BUILT FORD TOUGH<<
By unitedwestand

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my expedition new in 2003. Its been the
best truck i ever had!! Barr None. I have
272,000 miles on it. No engine or transmission
problems what so ever. The alternator went out
at 150,000. Ive put several sets of tires on and a few batteries.
I change the oil every 4,000 miles,
and a tune-up every 125,000 or so. We pull our
boat with it like theres nothing behind us. We lay
down the seats and camp in the back. we've hauled
stuff in the back countless times, Thank god for all the room of our full size Suv.

I rented a tahoe for a week while on vacation , with 25,000 on it. What a piece of Crap. like driving a tank.

Drives like a much smaller auto, Handling is fantastic. The ride is better than my wifes 300 hemi. Noise levels are very low even when cruising at 85. If we take a road trip, just take it with we got room.

the only improvement: we get 17-18 mpg, i would like to see that a little higher.