2003 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
I Think It Willl Run Forever
By ftcollinsco93 on 03/06/13 18:54 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has over 220,000 miles on it, only thing major replaced is the fuel pump, the windshield... 3 times, and a few batteries. Runs like a champ, has a weird issue with the mirror adjusting to an unknown position when unlocked with wireless remote and driver power lock went out at 180k.

Durable, Dependable, Best Truck on the Road
By phoenixatlanta on 02/02/12 22:31 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition in 2006 with 37,000 miles on it. Aside from routine 5,000 mile oil changes using Pennzoil Synthetic Motor Oil, I have only had two issues. At 125,000 miles, I replaced all eight spark plugs with basic NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and the engine runs smooth and plenty of power. The alternator was replaced at 165,000 miles due to low output; however, was changed as preventative and never caused mechanical breakdown. I am a DOT engineer and occasionally tow a bobcat on a large dual axel trailer and it tows better then my co-workers 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi pickup truck. Would recommend this to those who want a solid, dependable, SUV!

>> BUILT FORD TOUGH<<
By unitedwestand on 05/03/11 14:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my expedition new in 2003. Its been the best truck i ever had!! Barr None. I have 272,000 miles on it. No engine or transmission problems what so ever. The alternator went out at 150,000. Ive put several sets of tires on and a few batteries. I change the oil every 4,000 miles, and a tune-up every 125,000 or so. We pull our boat with it like theres nothing behind us. We lay down the seats and camp in the back. we've hauled stuff in the back countless times, Thank god for all the room of our full size Suv. I rented a tahoe for a week while on vacation , with 25,000 on it. What a piece of Crap. like driving a tank.

Never again
By roadsgt97 on 03/14/11 15:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Putting a new engine in mine, cheaper then buying a new truck. I had lots of problems with the truck. Bought it new. I like the way it drives and handles but the repairs will make you go bankrupt. When the warrenty runs out get rid of it quick. WILL not buy another ford.

Best Book Hauler in the World
By Road Warrior on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2006 with 38K on the clock, the truck now has 145K with no major repairs to engine, transmission,or 4WD system. Considering that I keep more than 1000 pounds of library book samples and other cargo in the truck on a 24/7 basis, I've been surprised as to how serviceable it has been. The fold flat third row beats the heck out of the removable seat on my van. The ride and handling lend credence to most of the professional reviews and road tests. In one emergency maneuver, it definitely saved a few lives! I did have trouble with the front rotors warping, but cross drilled rotors on the front solved that problem for good. I have no plans to sell this truck until it hits 300K.

Ford needs to improve. Last Ford for us.
By Our last Ford on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After replacing the electric window controls twice, electric seat component,back-up sensor and side mirror control, enough. The 4.6 engine could not tow a 3800 lb. travel trailer decent on any incline. This was our fourth Ford vehicle and our last.

Awesome
By Rose on 08/31/10 18:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 26k. Love to drive it. Drives like a compact car, so much more comfortable. MPG not bad considering it's size. Now have 96k, has run great only problem was replacing the transfer case. Now it runs great again. Will buy another one once this one quits. It's been a very sound car all around.

Major Issues
By Barb on 08/27/10 21:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck new, with in the first month the power seat driver side stop working, the window arm bar driver side broke and cracked the glass, the tires was rubbing against the fenders, the coils on the cylinders all went bad back to back, i was left stranded a couple of times,the roof where the channels are at have major corrosion spots and when i put the transmission in drive i hear a loud "bang",I did tell the service manager about this everyone else heard it except him. So after all the kinks and fights was said and done and many years later i still have the love of my life my 2003 expedition with 52000 miles! and i am know a certified mechanic!

Good Truck
By kenmandoo on 08/15/10 17:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Traded in 1999 Expy for the 2003 Expy back about 5 years ago with 50k miles. 5 years later, and about 100k miles we are looking at going to the newer 07+ Expy's. NO PROBLEMS in 100k miles. I just replaced all 8 plugs, all the idler pulleys (2 were bad), belt, fuel filter (was pretty bad and just started leaking). Overall, great reliable truck. Leather held up exceptionally well.

Luv my Expedition
By dgalben on 07/25/10 14:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first SUV and I love it. The electric 3rd row seat is fabulous when I have to carry a bunch of children at a moment's notice. Also, the whole family can go on a road trip in ONE vehicle. Drives and handles like a dream. Great maneuverability in tight spaces, for an SUV. It does have some electrical quirks. The side view mirrors never keep their "favorite" settings. Also, when going in reverse, they will move so far down that the pavement is reflected. Clicking/thumping noise when the rear A/C is on. No one likes to replace the spark plugs because it takes so much labor (damn Triton engine). But overall, I will continue buying Expeditions as long as I can afford to.