Used 2002 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Expedition
By BAB

2002 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The Ford Expedition has been a great vehicle for me. The contents of a college dorm room can be crammed into this SUV! Hauling kids and gear on a daily basis is comfortable. Where I live, lots of people drive big vehicles and I feel safer being in one as well. The only problem I've ever had with the Expedition is the power side mirrors: the directional button doesn't work well.

Favorite Features

Style. Size (a nice "mid-size" SUV). Safety features.

Suggested Improvements

None; Ford already developed the disappearing 3rd row seat, which I wish I had on mine.

Ford lost a repeat customer
By jimmck

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

2nd Expedition for this family. First was a '99 XLT - no major problems (windshield wiper issue - and rear wiper motor went - that's it) in 66K miles. '02 Eddie Bauer (subject of this review): After 44K miles: Rear sensing system failed. Drivers heated seat element failed. Minor build issues (annoying) - headlight/foglamp switch fell apart, read quarte pop-out windows always noisy when operating. Transmission FAILED at 44K miles. Ford/dealer not standing behind their product means that I will look at the competition when the lease expires. Ford / dealer - you lost a repear customer.

I hate it, husband loves it
By maiya

2002 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Am I the only one that hates driving this vehicle? I feel like I'm driving a school bus because it's so huge, and when I go to pump gas, it kills me. I long for the compact car where I can jump in and get my moneys worth. Also, I know cars depreciate but I didn't think it would be 18,000 less in 2 years. I finally convince my husband to trade-in to a car that we can both love and save money on. After this car,..I'm looking into a hybrid. Overall, I wish I saved my money and bought a Lexus. Worth the price and depreciate less.

Favorite Features

The long trips are nice. It's good to stretch your legs.

Suggested Improvements

Improve on MPG, and also the interior. The only features they have that are "so great" are adjustable petals. But I never use that. I just move my seat closer.

2002 Expedition 4x4
By drdbouquet

2002 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Expedition, I owned a 1997, 1999,2002 and in 2 days I am picking up a 2004 Expedition, which will be our 4th. I just love it and my husband prefers this vehicle to the Explorer. I love that I sit high and can carry anything in the back, I can just about haul anything. I drive some distance to work and I am always comfortable.I have never had a problem with any of them,other than Goodyear tires, they dont last.

Favorite Features

Comfort and ride.

Suggested Improvements

More options such as the ones on the Eddie Bauer( who was he?). I dont like brown colors and some options are only available on the Eddie bauer

great expedition
By little bit

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This car is wonderful to drive. It is much better than the Honda Passport that I owned before this one. The gas guzzling is the only down-fall. The driver window pops really hard sometimes when rolling it up. Other than that the car is super and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

controls in back seat to control air and heat and also the radio

Suggested Improvements

Improve on fuel economy. Make front passenger seat electric. Also needs side mirrors that will fold in.