Used 2002 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great Family Rig
By Family Rig

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our Expedition has exceeded my expectations. I commuted 172 miles round-trip for over 1 1/2 years and the comfort is indescribable. Additionally I drove from CA - New Mexico more than once without worry; with the entertainment system it kept the kids from fighting and getting restless during the long ride. I never have to worry about having enough room for our luggage and toys, it all fits. The roof rack provides an extra place to transport belongings as well. I love my Expedition, except the gas mileage.

Leather heated seats, entertainment system and ROOM.

Gas mileage.

Very Dependable Truck
By Dave

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have had two Expeditions and they are both good tough family cars. I got 82K out of the first set of tires and have not had to do anything but scheduled maintenance. I wish it better fuel mileage, but other that that, I am very happy with the truck and it has served me very well.

AWD and size. You can fit a party of people in this thing with their stuff.

Better mileage, better sound system.

Happy Owner
By Happy Owner

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I usually get a new car every 2 years. I have kept this one longer than any other. We have three active boys. We have taken 3 cross country trips without any problems. The VHS entertainment package is a life saver on those trips. The 4.6L engine has enough power to haul trailers, boats and horses.

Entertainment package, information center on MPG, miles left in tank and miles on the road is great. Love the 6 CD changer as well.

Better gas mileage as usual.

Big Safe Luxurious and Thirsty
By thirstyButSafe

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle was in my family since new; bought two new ones to get fleet discount. Wife and I just bought one of them from family. We were looking at BMW 5 series for safety and sportiness and at other sports sedans. We tried this out and were sold immediately. Entertainment package keeps kids happy and quiet. It is like a moving living room, comfy and safe. Steel girders in doors for side impact. "Handsome" styling. We said we would never buy one but once we drove it we loved it. Very easy for my petite wife to drive, drives like much smaller vehicle. Very luxurious inside and a lot of room. We are on CA freeways and I never worry about my wife and kids being safe in this thing. It is a luxury liner

Entertainment package, comfortable leather seats, nice stereo, safety and car-like ride for a land yacht. When your kids are in this car you feel like you are in a living room; road trips fun. Safe big and friendly. Family owned from new -- 104k plus miles, no problems until bad mechanic knocked a hose off.

Gas mileage (in fantasyland big engine gets 30 mpg). Get over it, you can buy big and feel safe, or small and get squashed like a bug. I will gladly pay more in gas and have my family survive an accident. Parking is hard in urban areas with compact spaces (San Jose, SF, NYC); its a suburb SUV.

Great vehicle
By Michael

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle, it is the nicest riding truck I have been in yet. It handles well, and feels very stable. The 4.6 runs very smooth, and could use a little more low end torque for towing, but I will address that myself. What amazes me however is the number of people on here complaining about gas mileage. What did you expect? This is a 5000 lb. vehicle, and I see people gunning them off the line like a sports car. Thats what kills your mileage. If you drive it carefully, you can get 15-16 around town, and 20 or better on the highway. You cant forget what your driving; either you want better mileage or you want more power, you usually can't have both.

Lighted running boards, RDS stereo system, CD changer, smooth running engine, comfortable seats, plenty of cupholders, good looks, ride quality.

The self dimming rearview mirror needs a manual dimmer switch; most people tailgate and the mirror does not see their headlights and auto dim. Adjustable side bolsters on seats; I don't like sliding around my seats when I turn a corner.