Used 2002 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Most Helpful|
STAY AWAY FROM THIS WITH 5.4L TRITON V8
By smileeeintiffin

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I loved my expedition up until it left me stranded on a major highway due to a spark plug popping out!! And it is not an easy fix let alone how costly it is. Ford is aware of the major defect in these transmissions but will not correct the problem. To correct the problem the entire head must come off. Also if it is #4 spark plug than you must remove front of vehicle body to get to it properly. What a Joke!! Stay away from these vehicles. It will happen to you. They say the average mileage when this happens is 95000 miles. Mine has 94500. Imagine that. It is junk! Buyer Be Ware!

Favorite Features

The room in it for my family of five. The way it handles in bad snowy weather.

Suggested Improvements

The sound system is poor.

Great Family Rig
By Family Rig

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our Expedition has exceeded my expectations. I commuted 172 miles round-trip for over 1 1/2 years and the comfort is indescribable. Additionally I drove from CA - New Mexico more than once without worry; with the entertainment system it kept the kids from fighting and getting restless during the long ride. I never have to worry about having enough room for our luggage and toys, it all fits. The roof rack provides an extra place to transport belongings as well. I love my Expedition, except the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Leather heated seats, entertainment system and ROOM.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

Good Solid Truck
By drdavid1

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The only bad part of owning this vehicle is the gas consumption. Mine is the 5.4 Triton XLT and I have been the owner from 40,000 miles till a little over 100,000 now. If you need a solid vehicle with lots of room inside that tows a boat with no problems than you couldnt ask for more. Much more room inside than my friends Yukon and no road noise like the Pilot. Michelin tires make it smooth as silk on the highway. Its a little clumsy around town but what do you want from 6000 plus pounds. Ford should be proud of these vehicles. Mine has no rattles, none and cloth interior looks like new which is amazing at near 10 years old.

Favorite Features

Room and Ride and solid construction.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy

Very reliable
By gp8283

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 5.4L XLT that just passed 160K. Hardly any problems at all except for the air suspension needed to be worked on. Engine, transmission, and suspension are solid and runs great considering the mileage. Very roomy and can fit lots of people.

Favorite Features

Not the greatest gas mileage but that's not unusual considering the mass of the vehicle and engine size.

Safe is Good
By Safe is Good

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was a great vehicle for us. The power was very good for pulling our ski boat or driving in heavy traffic. Being able to see above most other vehicles was very nice. The size and design proved to be a great benefit when I had a head-on collision at about 50 mph. I walked away with small abrasions to left leg (PTL).

Favorite Features

Great handling and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

As usual...gas mileage. Otherwise, it was great and worth the sacrifice.