Used 2002 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great Expedition
By Ceo's Expedition

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle purchased it with 5 miles on it. Every single mile is accounted for. Have had some minor issues with it. Stock radio was overheating and shutting off so they had to install some type of fan behind it. A/C system had to be replaced under warranty. Since these issues back in '02-'03 haven't had any other problems with it. Have driven 3 times to Guadalajara, Mexico about 3500 mile round trip without any worries.

Roominess, Cargo Space, foldable Third row, rear captain chairs, 6-disc CD Changer

Gas mileage! When gas prices were very high (close to $5/gallon) didn't drive it much. Luckily it's our 3rd vehicle.

Great vehicle!
By HardLiquor

2002 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle in 2007 with 70,000 miles on her. Great truck...nice fit and finish. Very solid feel. Drives very much like a truck and not like a car. Can be a bit hard to maneuver in small parking lots. Has been very reliable though we really haven't driven it much. Truck has just over 90,000 miles now 3 years later. Nothing has broke...no fluid leaks. This is the first vehicle I've owned with this kind of mileage that didn't leak oil or tranny fluid.

4x4 Styling

Transmission

STAY AWAY FROM THIS WITH 5.4L TRITON V8
By smileeeintiffin

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I loved my expedition up until it left me stranded on a major highway due to a spark plug popping out!! And it is not an easy fix let alone how costly it is. Ford is aware of the major defect in these transmissions but will not correct the problem. To correct the problem the entire head must come off. Also if it is #4 spark plug than you must remove front of vehicle body to get to it properly. What a Joke!! Stay away from these vehicles. It will happen to you. They say the average mileage when this happens is 95000 miles. Mine has 94500. Imagine that. It is junk! Buyer Be Ware!

The room in it for my family of five. The way it handles in bad snowy weather.

The sound system is poor.

Passed up Lincoln Navigator
By LW

2002 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am happy with my vehicle. It was used and purchased for less than $5K. I wanted a Lincoln Navigator, but settled for the Expedition. I found that I made the best decision! Gas mileage is not that bad. If you buy a 2002 Expedition, just make sure it is mechanically sound. My truck is definitely Ford tough.

Adjustable seats, running boards, disc changer, roomy, tires, and round look - unlike the older Expeditions which are square. The Triton engine

Pimp the grille.

Not worth it!
By matt

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my expo for the look, size, and extras but soon realized that I made a horrible mistake. I have had the air conditioner worked on 4 times with hot air coming out of the rear vents, celinoid has gone bad, possible cracked head gasket, pass side mirror will not adjust to set position, and oh yeah the gas mileage does hurt; duh. The room is great and the interior is fantastic but the little tick tack problems are killing me leaving me stranded in 13 degree weather twice. Oh well, live and learn!

I am not an engineer!