2002 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Great Expedition
By Ceo's Expedition on 04/10/10 11:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle purchased it with 5 miles on it. Every single mile is accounted for. Have had some minor issues with it. Stock radio was overheating and shutting off so they had to install some type of fan behind it. A/C system had to be replaced under warranty. Since these issues back in '02-'03 haven't had any other problems with it. Have driven 3 times to Guadalajara, Mexico about 3500 mile round trip without any worries.

Safe is Good
By Safe is Good on 11/01/07 19:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was a great vehicle for us. The power was very good for pulling our ski boat or driving in heavy traffic. Being able to see above most other vehicles was very nice. The size and design proved to be a great benefit when I had a head-on collision at about 50 mph. I walked away with small abrasions to left leg (PTL).

Great Family Rig
By Family Rig on 04/08/06 20:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our Expedition has exceeded my expectations. I commuted 172 miles round-trip for over 1 1/2 years and the comfort is indescribable. Additionally I drove from CA - New Mexico more than once without worry; with the entertainment system it kept the kids from fighting and getting restless during the long ride. I never have to worry about having enough room for our luggage and toys, it all fits. The roof rack provides an extra place to transport belongings as well. I love my Expedition, except the gas mileage.

Happy Owner
By Happy Owner on 08/06/05 15:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I usually get a new car every 2 years. I have kept this one longer than any other. We have three active boys. We have taken 3 cross country trips without any problems. The VHS entertainment package is a life saver on those trips. The 4.6L engine has enough power to haul trailers, boats and horses.

Great vehicle
By Michael on 07/19/05 11:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle, it is the nicest riding truck I have been in yet. It handles well, and feels very stable. The 4.6 runs very smooth, and could use a little more low end torque for towing, but I will address that myself. What amazes me however is the number of people on here complaining about gas mileage. What did you expect? This is a 5000 lb. vehicle, and I see people gunning them off the line like a sports car. Thats what kills your mileage. If you drive it carefully, you can get 15-16 around town, and 20 or better on the highway. You cant forget what your driving; either you want better mileage or you want more power, you usually can't have both.

Great - Beware of poor $2300 Engine Problems!
By Blefort on 12/16/04 16:21 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Former Explorer owner, upgraded to Expedition. Very good ride; design, comfort, size. Mediocre/expected gas mileage. However, after 40K, the right cylinder head cracked, and began leaking oil. Repair of $2300 out of pocket was followed up with complaints. Initially Ford repair shop indicated rebate of $1500, but after several weeks, their "mistake" was corrected to $700 rebate. BAD taste in mouth for Ford's quality, as more investigation indicates that this is a "known Issue" with the Triton V8's from this period. Don't know if it's been fixed or not, but any time you have major repairs before 50K, beware!

First SUV owned
By NICE SUV by db on 11/09/04 09:42 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is the largest vehicle I have owned and my wife and I really love it! Before purchasing it, I read reviews like these and with Ford truck's word- of-mouth reputation, I purchased one. I haven't regretted it. I use it mostly on long trips. It is fun to drive and I feel safer on the road. Mine is a 2-wheel drive, but it handles great in rain or snow covered roads. Replaced the drivers heated seat element already and the passenger side is getting weaker. $600. dealer cost for one seat repair! Out of warranty, but the dealer paid half. Replaced the brakes, but no mechanical problems yet. Would buy another one!

Ford Man
By bviks on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased the Eddie Bauer version of this truck and I am more than pleased with the perfformance and the quality. The only negitive that I find with this car is the fuel economy.

great expedition
By little bit on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This car is wonderful to drive. It is much better than the Honda Passport that I owned before this one. The gas guzzling is the only down-fall. The driver window pops really hard sometimes when rolling it up. Other than that the car is super and fun to drive.

Great Ride / Gas Hog
By c25sailor on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The most comfortable of all the SUV's that I have owned to drive. This includes Suburban, Yukon, and Explorer. Roomy, quiet, smooth and comfortable. Only downside -- horrible gas mileage with the 5.4. Averaging 13.9 mpg --- with the Suburban 5.7 I got around 16.3 for similar driving. If Ford could get the economy up a little this would be the best SUV going. Now it's great -- but drinks too much fuel.