Used 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great Expedition
By Ceo's Expedition

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle purchased it with 5 miles on it. Every single mile is accounted for. Have had some minor issues with it. Stock radio was overheating and shutting off so they had to install some type of fan behind it. A/C system had to be replaced under warranty. Since these issues back in '02-'03 haven't had any other problems with it. Have driven 3 times to Guadalajara, Mexico about 3500 mile round trip without any worries.

Favorite Features

Roominess, Cargo Space, foldable Third row, rear captain chairs, 6-disc CD Changer

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage! When gas prices were very high (close to $5/gallon) didn't drive it much. Luckily it's our 3rd vehicle.

Safe is Good
By Safe is Good

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was a great vehicle for us. The power was very good for pulling our ski boat or driving in heavy traffic. Being able to see above most other vehicles was very nice. The size and design proved to be a great benefit when I had a head-on collision at about 50 mph. I walked away with small abrasions to left leg (PTL).

Favorite Features

Great handling and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

As usual...gas mileage. Otherwise, it was great and worth the sacrifice.

Great Family Rig
By Family Rig

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our Expedition has exceeded my expectations. I commuted 172 miles round-trip for over 1 1/2 years and the comfort is indescribable. Additionally I drove from CA - New Mexico more than once without worry; with the entertainment system it kept the kids from fighting and getting restless during the long ride. I never have to worry about having enough room for our luggage and toys, it all fits. The roof rack provides an extra place to transport belongings as well. I love my Expedition, except the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Leather heated seats, entertainment system and ROOM.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

Happy Owner
By Happy Owner

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I usually get a new car every 2 years. I have kept this one longer than any other. We have three active boys. We have taken 3 cross country trips without any problems. The VHS entertainment package is a life saver on those trips. The 4.6L engine has enough power to haul trailers, boats and horses.

Favorite Features

Entertainment package, information center on MPG, miles left in tank and miles on the road is great. Love the 6 CD changer as well.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage as usual.

Great vehicle
By Michael

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle, it is the nicest riding truck I have been in yet. It handles well, and feels very stable. The 4.6 runs very smooth, and could use a little more low end torque for towing, but I will address that myself. What amazes me however is the number of people on here complaining about gas mileage. What did you expect? This is a 5000 lb. vehicle, and I see people gunning them off the line like a sports car. Thats what kills your mileage. If you drive it carefully, you can get 15-16 around town, and 20 or better on the highway. You cant forget what your driving; either you want better mileage or you want more power, you usually can't have both.

Favorite Features

Lighted running boards, RDS stereo system, CD changer, smooth running engine, comfortable seats, plenty of cupholders, good looks, ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

The self dimming rearview mirror needs a manual dimmer switch; most people tailgate and the mirror does not see their headlights and auto dim. Adjustable side bolsters on seats; I don't like sliding around my seats when I turn a corner.