Eleven Years Old and Going Strong!!
By robintexas on
2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)
I bought my Eddie Bauer 4x4 Expedition brand new in 2001 and have owned it since. I have driven it almost every day in the past eleven years and I keep it regularly serviced. It's paid me back in spades -- I have 287,000 miles on it and it's going strong! I keep telling the local Ford dealership, they should feature this beast in a commercial. It looks like new inside and the only signs of age on the outside is the fact that the bright red paint is a bit faded on the body, but actually a "pink" color on the mirrors. Original gas engine is strong. Still pulling horse trailers and piling the miles on. This truck has been so trustworthy. When she needs a new engine, I'll be there! :)
Favorite Features
Durability. Long life. This truck wasn't cheap when I bought her ($43K+) but my dollar per mile has been a bargain. Who else can write a rave review about how much they love a vehicle when she's over a decade old. Only money I've put into her is oil changes, tires, and one front end adjustment. Still running on the original spark plugs and brakes, believe it or not. They keep telling me they're still fine. The guys at the Ford shop are always amazed, and have dubbed her "old red." :)
Suggested Improvements
The height of the 4x4 makes it just tippy enough that the side by side torque, over the miles, prematurely wears tires out (yep, the front end is aligned and okay, per the Ford Shop). They said they have seen this in the taller trucks -- the edges of the tires wear faster than they do on the lower 2x2 trucks.
By carlover0529
on 06/24/13 19:39 PM (PDT)

My grandparents own the same SUV, and theirs has the barely faded body but pink mirrors too :)