Used 2001 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Used Expedition
By rick

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 Expedition used, trading in a '03 Honda Accord that I purchased new. The Expedition has been completely trouble free for 8 months, something I could NOT say for my Honda. The Expedition is easy to drive and park, is extremely comfortable, and has all the amenities including a sunroof. This vehicle has definitely changed my opinions on American built vehicles, especially Ford. If Ford continues to turn out vehicles as good as this one I will definitely buy another without hesitation!

Comfort and room. Reasonably priced scheduled maintenance and conveniently located dealer locations.

More power, better mileage and flat folding 3rd row seat. All of which have been addressed in the '05 models.

The surprising ride...
By Emerson Biggans

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. After test driving 3 other Eddie Bauer Expeditions (two '02's and one '98 model), I settled on the '01 XLT because of its nearly identical options package and $10,000 less price tag. The most surprising thing about the Expedition 4x4 is the fact that it rides like a luxury car, handles like a much smaller vehicle than it actually is, and has outstanding traction (nothing stops this thing). The only thing I could ask for is a little firmer shift from the 4 speed auto-transmission. But then again, I am partial to 400+ horsepower vehicles, and I guess it's not really bad for a bone stock family ride (my 3 daughters and my son love it).

Traction, acceleration, comfort, room for the whole family COMFORTABLY, and the black with charcoal leather interior makes for one nice truck.

A little better fuel mileage would be nice, but the power is worth the couple of MPG less.

Never Again!
By Robert

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used with 25k miles. What a nightmare! In the shop several times; rear windshield wiper motor (twice), ignition coils (3 times), outside power mirror motor, emissions sensor, radio. Love the appearance, interior room, handling and comfort. Hate taking it to the shop every other week.

Comfort, handling, room in interior.

Don't use wireless ignitions!

Good Family Hauler, Bad Transmission
By boomer99

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We took delivery of our 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD in December of 2000. We have four kids and a big dog so the room was great. We expected the mileage to be a few mpg higher but we average around 13 with about half city and half highway. Nice ride on smooth roads but somewhat of a wallowing pig over any type of bump or undulating road. Corners with a lot of body lean as you would expect from a vehicle with such a high center of gravity and a suspension that is a little soft for a big SUV. Some cheap interior materials. Our only complaint was a failed transmission at 35,700 miles that was not covered under warranty due to the vehicle being over 3 years old. $3000 bill was a shock!

View of the road, room for people and luggage.

Reliability of the transmission, interior material quality,

Terrific Rocky Mountain Vehicle
By wyomingoil

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4WD. We live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains and the weather can get pretty nasty. I have never felt unsafe driving on any road condition incuding deep snow over thick ice. I love the way it looks and drives. It has all the bells and whistles (except the back-up warning sensor, which I will get next time). It is very roomy for kids, grandkids, and dogs...all at once! I would highly recommend an Expedition as a much better-looking alternative to a minivan.

The seat warmers are my favorite feature in the winter and the sun/moon roof is my favorite feature in the summer.

I would make back-up warning sensors standard equipment in such large SUV's where smaller objects are easily "lost" in blind spots.