Used 2001 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great! Great! and even Greater!
By Canadian Driver

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Man, I love this vehicle. I can haul my 25 foot trailer and still bring another six people along for the ride. I own all Fords, and have never owned anything else but Ford, and this goes to show you why I've only owned Fords. The 3rd row seat is great, love the leather, and follows a good Ford theme on the outside; the front looking exactly the same as a Ford F150. It has never let me down for driving through the B.C. mountains in the winter. We usually go from Invermere (in the east Kootenays) to Calgary in the winter for Christmas shopping, which is about 4 hours away, and we can do 100 kmh the whole way, with great traction and handling. Only tiff is the cheap tires.

-Towing capacity -3rd row seat -Winter driving.

WHAT'S THAT LEAKING
By THOMAS

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

At about 44,900 miles noticed fluid under the truck, dealership had to rebuild the transmission. The truck does not get driven hard. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. Will be trading in because I can not trust the vehicle anymore.

Exterior looks good.

Transmission quality. Front seat comfort.

Comfort, Power and Style
By navyman

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Ford. I think Ford has a very good quality product. This is a new milestone for me, my first automatic tranny Ford. I bought this truck used in Jan '04 for my wife to drive and it had only 15K miles on it and it was still under factory warranty. Currently: 43K miles. We have driven it on long trips (12 hours+) about 8 times and it makes the trip go so smoothly. The ride is very comfortable and is a real pleasure to drive. I have never had this vehicle leave my wife or me stranded. I LOVE the power and low end torque. I am very pleased with this vehicle. Maintenance: transmission flush $187; oil $360. Repairs: power mirror switch and bubbling paint on hood (warranty)

For a large SUV, with the 5.4 V-8, the gas mileage is about what I expected (about 16C/18H). The power seats make it an ease to drive for my 5'3" wife. Lots of interior space. Nice factory radio. Unlocking the door, without having to call someone, by using the keypad on the driver's door.

The dash pieces do not seem to fit together right (non-tight fit). The 3rd seat will fit 3 people, but I think there is not enough leg/foot room for 3 adults to sit back there and remain friends (slightly fixed in new design).

Great truck thus far
By MALCOLMCARTER

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I had a '97 Expedition which I just sold to a friend; it had 180k and runs great! So, I just purchased '01 Eddie Bauer at an auction for $12.7 with 87k on it. Everything ok thus far, but it does make that loud murmur sound when the suspension adjustment is made when you start the truck. I love everything else but I spent a half a day at the dealership explaining that sound before the Ford representative told me about the suspension.

Leather seats, third row for kids, 17 inch alloy wheels and the handling.

Better stereo system and get rid of suspension adjustment. I like riding high up.

It's okay
By Lulu

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Big repairs, but we put on big miles, too. We are on our third set of tires. Have had to replace the front hubs at about 160K miles. Amazingly comfortable for a big old tub that's as worn out as ours is. Midway, we had to replace the gas tank because it was warped and that cost about $900.

My double visors, I'll miss that in my next vehicle. Love the dual sound control and VCR entertainment. I like being high up off the ground.

Uh, hello, fuel economy.