Used 2001 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

CliFORD, the big red truck.
By RRB

2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this with 47K and now slightly over 2 years later have 110k on it. I kind of have a love hate relationship with this vehicle but the love always wins. It has the 5.8 V8 & AWD and gets lousy mileage, averaging 12.8 with the best being 17 if you are on the highway all day. It is good looking, comfortable to drive, solid as a rock, will go anywhere and every time I look at it I still like it. The negatives are the goofy computer that runs the personal settings for the mirrors and seats which work one day and not the next. The power windows are noisy and there is wind noise from the moonroof. One set of brakes, one tune up and now on the third set of tires since new.

Looks better than the new ones, very comfortable, drives great.

Make the computer that works the seats & mirrors actually work! A little more power and less wind noise.

I'm Impressed
By DebraLynn

2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My husband and I love this SUV. It drives so easy and I'm short. I'm able to handle it okay. My 7 year old loves the room it has. With all the bells and whistles it's a dream to own.

The automatic side window opening. The seat memory and the headphone jacks in the back. All the cup holders and the CD and cassette. I still have cassettes.

I'd like to see built in handles in the third seat so that I can hang my grocery bags on them. Keeps groceries from rolling around.

Great! Great! and even Greater!
By Canadian Driver

2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Man, I love this vehicle. I can haul my 25 foot trailer and still bring another six people along for the ride. I own all Fords, and have never owned anything else but Ford, and this goes to show you why I've only owned Fords. The 3rd row seat is great, love the leather, and follows a good Ford theme on the outside; the front looking exactly the same as a Ford F150. It has never let me down for driving through the B.C. mountains in the winter. We usually go from Invermere (in the east Kootenays) to Calgary in the winter for Christmas shopping, which is about 4 hours away, and we can do 100 kmh the whole way, with great traction and handling. Only tiff is the cheap tires.

-Towing capacity -3rd row seat -Winter driving.

WHAT'S THAT LEAKING
By THOMAS

2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

At about 44,900 miles noticed fluid under the truck, dealership had to rebuild the transmission. The truck does not get driven hard. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. Will be trading in because I can not trust the vehicle anymore.

Exterior looks good.

Transmission quality. Front seat comfort.

Comfort, Power and Style
By navyman

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Ford. I think Ford has a very good quality product. This is a new milestone for me, my first automatic tranny Ford. I bought this truck used in Jan '04 for my wife to drive and it had only 15K miles on it and it was still under factory warranty. Currently: 43K miles. We have driven it on long trips (12 hours+) about 8 times and it makes the trip go so smoothly. The ride is very comfortable and is a real pleasure to drive. I have never had this vehicle leave my wife or me stranded. I LOVE the power and low end torque. I am very pleased with this vehicle. Maintenance: transmission flush $187; oil $360. Repairs: power mirror switch and bubbling paint on hood (warranty)

For a large SUV, with the 5.4 V-8, the gas mileage is about what I expected (about 16C/18H). The power seats make it an ease to drive for my 5'3" wife. Lots of interior space. Nice factory radio. Unlocking the door, without having to call someone, by using the keypad on the driver's door.

The dash pieces do not seem to fit together right (non-tight fit). The 3rd seat will fit 3 people, but I think there is not enough leg/foot room for 3 adults to sit back there and remain friends (slightly fixed in new design).