2001 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Used Expedition
By rick on 03/12/05 22:53 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 Expedition used, trading in a '03 Honda Accord that I purchased new. The Expedition has been completely trouble free for 8 months, something I could NOT say for my Honda. The Expedition is easy to drive and park, is extremely comfortable, and has all the amenities including a sunroof. This vehicle has definitely changed my opinions on American built vehicles, especially Ford. If Ford continues to turn out vehicles as good as this one I will definitely buy another without hesitation!

The surprising ride...
By Emerson Biggans on 02/16/05 22:50 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. After test driving 3 other Eddie Bauer Expeditions (two '02's and one '98 model), I settled on the '01 XLT because of its nearly identical options package and $10,000 less price tag. The most surprising thing about the Expedition 4x4 is the fact that it rides like a luxury car, handles like a much smaller vehicle than it actually is, and has outstanding traction (nothing stops this thing). The only thing I could ask for is a little firmer shift from the 4 speed auto-transmission. But then again, I am partial to 400+ horsepower vehicles, and I guess it's not really bad for a bone stock family ride (my 3 daughters and my son love it).

Never Again!
By Robert on 02/01/05 12:52 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used with 25k miles. What a nightmare! In the shop several times; rear windshield wiper motor (twice), ignition coils (3 times), outside power mirror motor, emissions sensor, radio. Love the appearance, interior room, handling and comfort. Hate taking it to the shop every other week.

Good Family Hauler, Bad Transmission
By boomer99 on 11/17/04 11:05 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We took delivery of our 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD in December of 2000. We have four kids and a big dog so the room was great. We expected the mileage to be a few mpg higher but we average around 13 with about half city and half highway. Nice ride on smooth roads but somewhat of a wallowing pig over any type of bump or undulating road. Corners with a lot of body lean as you would expect from a vehicle with such a high center of gravity and a suspension that is a little soft for a big SUV. Some cheap interior materials. Our only complaint was a failed transmission at 35,700 miles that was not covered under warranty due to the vehicle being over 3 years old. $3000 bill was a shock!

Terrific Rocky Mountain Vehicle
By wyomingoil on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4WD. We live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains and the weather can get pretty nasty. I have never felt unsafe driving on any road condition incuding deep snow over thick ice. I love the way it looks and drives. It has all the bells and whistles (except the back-up warning sensor, which I will get next time). It is very roomy for kids, grandkids, and dogs...all at once! I would highly recommend an Expedition as a much better-looking alternative to a minivan.

---
By rlopez on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The 3rd row seat doesn't fold away auto, the A/C is very cold on low, the back wiper has never worked well

my expo 2001
By ronjnz on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

disappointed that the 4x4 is rough on some of the smallest bumps in the road. other than that it rides like a dream,luxury(leather). i wont discuss the gas mileage,but you dont buy a suv for good mileage. overall this is a very nice truck.

better than the Tahoes
By jamesSZ on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I had a 1995 and a 1997 Tahoe 4WD and had to dump them before the 36000 mile warranty ran out. Liked both of them but they were poorly built and had a lot of in warranty work done, The EXPIDITION seems to be holding its own - I've yet to take it to the dealer for any warranty work. Next visit will report the following: windshield washer indicator give false out of fluid reading; heater strip in back window losing effect; radio was skipping channels by itself, tires are making a thud sound when driving above 55MPH. Small issues when compared to the 2 Tahoes that I owned. Milage is about 14 MPG.

A Good Purchase If You NEED It
By Shaheen on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I leased this car for three years. I have been very pleased with the reliability and the strength of the truck. It is also a pleasure to drive. The truk could have more power, but I have the smaller engine. The problem with more power is that I could not imagine paying more for gas. Overall I would recommend this vehicle, but only to people who really need a big truck.

Can't go wrong... Great vehicle
By Hank Robertson on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After being somewhat confused as to which SUV to purchase I made the choice of this Expedition... I could not be happier... It is so comfortable and turns on a dime... I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys driving a bigger vehicle and yet wants responsive handling... Enjoy!