Used 2001 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Good work truck
By Casey

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2004 with 37k now has 81k and is still running strong. I use it for work and decided to go with the Expedition over a pick up to accomodate the family. With the 3rd row seat out and the back bench seats folded down, I have plenty of room for work gear. The kids perfer the Expedition over the minivan for long trips. The engine eats oil.. no leaks or emission problems, just need to check the dip stick a little more often than other trucks I've had. Vehicle has a nice ride but is still a truck. Self leveling system motor is loud and seems to adjust randomly, even when the truck is off.

Plenty of interior room, especially for the driver. Reliable so far at 81k. Good solid truck.

Eats oil and had to replace a few coils recently. Mechanic mentioned the front ball joints go on these trucks, no problems there yet.

Functional but not very reliable
By Ken

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm a big guy 6'4", so the roominess is highly valued for me. It's also great for families and to lug things around. But I now have 125k miles on it and the front and rear differentials just went - $3 grand for that and I just dumped another $1,500 into it a few months ago. A lot of minor things have also gone wrong -- back windshield wiper broke, cruise control broke, cup holder broke, etc. And I am not hard on this car. I baby it. I get 15mpg, so that's a tough one too, but I knew that when I bought it. I just didn't know gas was going to be $5 a gallon!

The beepy thing when you back up that gets faster the closer you get to something. Love that.

The 3rd seat is difficult to remove. 2nd row seats can't fold down all the way when the front seats are all the way back. ( I have bucket seats in 2nd row) Get rid of the radio controls in the back of the center console. My kids think it's funny to change my station or turn the volume down.

Just Great to Drive
By Brown

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Just do the routine service as required and the Expedition will perform as marketed. Have really enjoyed driving it in city and on the highway. Enjoy the safety of sitting higher to see any problems and the storage. One of the most enjoyable cars we had over the years.

Comfortable, performance, sitting higher, adjustable sterring wheel and seats, good leather interior, plenty of leg room in second seat, ample storage, etc. We enjoy the Expendition.

Extend warranty to 250,000 miles.

It did what we needed, when we needed
By SAL LOYA

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We did all the maintenance, it never left us stranded. We liked going on long trips, because of the comfort. I chose for my wife for safety, she chose for looks and how easy it was to drive.

How easy it was to drive.

You have already made the change, which was the third seat.

I call it my Expialidocious!
By TheRealSoprano

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love driving my Expedition. People still are impressed by all of its fabulous features. The adjustable pedals are a must for me because I am short. I love sliding into the comfy seats after a long day on my feet, and it is so fun to drive! That's why I call it my "Ex-pi-al-i-docious! When I first brought it home, my teenage son offered to give up his bedroom and move in to my car. He called the third row seat "stadium seating". I have never had a moment of trouble with it, and it still seems new even though I have put 100,000 miles on it.

Adjustable pedals, leather seats with unlimited adjustments, fabulous sound system, keyless entry with user recognition.

Have unlimited adjustments on all vents. Better organizational features in console. Electronic automatic settings on rear-view mirror.