2001 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Above 75,000 plan on some problems
By Brian on 09/03/09 11:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

A very safe and roomy SUV. Never have to worry when it snows, good pick up from a stop. About 14-16 MPG, can see 19 on a long trip. In general a well built SUV for a domestic.

Awful piece of junk!
By kippie on 07/03/09 00:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car used and drove it only 6000 miles in the 1 year I have had it. The head gasket blew and then out of no where there was a hole in the radiator. I bought an extended warranty but it covered only the head gasket. I only drive it to tote kids around and this is appalling to me. Reliability with only 60,000 miles on it!? I will NEVER buy a Ford again.

Aging well
By That guy on 04/06/09 18:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought mine with 35k miles on it and it's still going strong at 114K. Had to replace ball joints and other normal maintenance items but so far that is it. Tows 2 tons of firewood on my trailer with no problems. Cup holders everywhere, plenty of 12v jacks for gadgets. Roomy and high ride. Climate controls for second row. CONS: The 3rd row seat is neat to have but a pain to remove and store when it is not needed. Some times the accelerator will resist initial foot pressure when it's cold out and the bottoms of the doors are starting to rust (A Ford trait).

Awesome truck
By grimja on 10/13/08 21:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We've had our Expidition for four or five years now and it has 158,000 miles on it due to the long trips we take it on. Even though the family doesn't go many places together anymore I still like to drive it, even though the gas mileage is impractical. I just love how comfortable it is. It doesn't get up to speed very fast, but that's not what it was built for. The thing has only let me down once and it was due to a vacuum leak and that was two years ago. Now all I am worrying about is the rear end, which leaks fluid. Other than that it is great for its age, doesn't eat oil and even though the kids gave it a beating, you can't tell it at all.

Good work truck
By Casey on 09/15/08 03:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2004 with 37k now has 81k and is still running strong. I use it for work and decided to go with the Expedition over a pick up to accomodate the family. With the 3rd row seat out and the back bench seats folded down, I have plenty of room for work gear. The kids perfer the Expedition over the minivan for long trips. The engine eats oil.. no leaks or emission problems, just need to check the dip stick a little more often than other trucks I've had. Vehicle has a nice ride but is still a truck. Self leveling system motor is loud and seems to adjust randomly, even when the truck is off.

Functional but not very reliable
By Ken on 06/15/08 02:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm a big guy 6'4", so the roominess is highly valued for me. It's also great for families and to lug things around. But I now have 125k miles on it and the front and rear differentials just went - $3 grand for that and I just dumped another $1,500 into it a few months ago. A lot of minor things have also gone wrong -- back windshield wiper broke, cruise control broke, cup holder broke, etc. And I am not hard on this car. I baby it. I get 15mpg, so that's a tough one too, but I knew that when I bought it. I just didn't know gas was going to be $5 a gallon!

Just Great to Drive
By Brown on 04/16/08 14:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Just do the routine service as required and the Expedition will perform as marketed. Have really enjoyed driving it in city and on the highway. Enjoy the safety of sitting higher to see any problems and the storage. One of the most enjoyable cars we had over the years.

It did what we needed, when we needed
By SAL LOYA on 03/20/08 10:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We did all the maintenance, it never left us stranded. We liked going on long trips, because of the comfort. I chose for my wife for safety, she chose for looks and how easy it was to drive.

I call it my Expialidocious!
By TheRealSoprano on 09/28/07 05:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love driving my Expedition. People still are impressed by all of its fabulous features. The adjustable pedals are a must for me because I am short. I love sliding into the comfy seats after a long day on my feet, and it is so fun to drive! That's why I call it my "Ex-pi-al-i-docious! When I first brought it home, my teenage son offered to give up his bedroom and move in to my car. He called the third row seat "stadium seating". I have never had a moment of trouble with it, and it still seems new even though I have put 100,000 miles on it.

Nice
By Stephanie on 08/05/07 10:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

It's very nice inside and out. I've had more than 1 Toyota and the last one i had was a 4x4 4-Runner. This expedition drives smoother than that. I was skeptical about getting another vehicle other than a Toyota but once I drove this i was happy.