Used 2001 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Best SUV I`ve ever owned!
By BEST SUV EVER OWNED!

2001 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new with 15 miles on it.Ever since I bought this car I have loved it! Its very roomy and comfortable. My family and I are always taking trips from Arizona to California and not once it has broken down. There have been no major mechanical issues. Today I have 210K miles on it and still runs great! I recommended this car to everyone!

Favorite Features

Nice Cold Air Conditioning, 3rd row seat, leather interior and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage!

Refined Workhorse
By CG

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Expedition new in 01 and have been very pleased with the reliability and comfort of this vehicle. It now has 140k and still rides very smooth and feels wonderful. It has been very reliable with regular maintenance performed. My wife has abused this car with three kids and "Eddie" (nickname my kids gave it) has responded with remarkable resiliency. A real feather in ford's cap. I will be buying the 01-03 F150 with the same engine (5.4 liter Triton V8) in a few years after I retire. Eddie has been an extremely reliable vehicle who acts like he wants to run another 100k easy. I will be giving him a tune up soon replacing all the plugs and wires. Well deserved!

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort, build quality

Suggested Improvements

Reliability of air suspension system. I will be replacing with springs later this year, the air pump is almost shot for the air suspension system and the leveler.

Unbelievable!!!
By rb

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new in Feb 01. It has nearly 200,000 miles and has been nearly flawless. Replaced 2 coils and a cruise control switch which came to a few hundrerd bucks. Otherwise, just standard maintenance. It rides super smooth, has great handling and acceleration,(4.6L) and has nice features throughout. I never dreamed this truck would last this long without major repairs. Ford got this one right!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, good acceleration, handles and corners like a car. Comfortable seating, wide deep console, and more room inside this vehicle than you could ever imagine. Keyless entry is great and adjustable pedals and seat memory function come in handy also.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it did not have autolocking doors.

Best of Both Worlds
By Tony

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this used with 11K miles on it and just rolled 100K this weekend pulling a boat to Lake Powell, 600 mile each way. I use this more as a truck than anything else and what a great purchase this has been. It has been great for hauling the family as far as comfort but I'm very impressed with the way it pulls our 22' ski boat. If you take care of it and do the regular maint you can't wear it out. You cant beat it for comfort or workability. The paint still looks great and the leather is still in great shape. I have no plans to sell this anytime soon, there just isn't anything out there that I like any better.

Favorite Features

Comfort, Ride and drivability. Front and back AC, AWD and only locking in the 4WD when needed. I live in Colorado and never been left stranded, but have save many other cars from the snow drifts.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing but if you add a cold air intake it will increase the HP about 9hp and give a mile or two better mileage.

Best suv for the money
By bigdaddy

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck due to our large family,has made several trips between New Mexico and Illinois without a whisper of trouble.The truck is beautiful and stylish, it has the 5.4 liter engine with the big trans for towing,have done nothing but maintenance on it. We had the left rear tire blowout on the highway at 75 mph, slowed down with no issues in handling whatsoever.This is a great truck!

Favorite Features

Roominess, Eddie Bauer package, towing and cargo capacity, reliability, great trip vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Engine should have had more power, at least 400 horse power or so.