2001 Ford Expedition XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2001 Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Sort Reviews by

Awesome SUV
By Dallas B.

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have not had any major problems with my Expy. It was involved in a transmission, tire and seatbelt recall (but I never experienced any problem) and put in the shop once for sudden race of the engine while idling. They replaced a filter and the problem was solved. I have the 5.4 liter and it has great power and the gas mileage is actually pretty good for an SUV.

Favorite Features

Where do I start? To name just a few: The keypad entry, adjustable pedals and seperate rear stereo system with headphones.

Suggested Improvements

Flat folding 3rd row seating and a in- dash CD changer. Both of which I think Ford has changed in the 2003. A day late and a dollar short for 2001 owners.

Love it, but worried about longevity...
By Margaret B.

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

29K miles, 1 mo. in shop. Drivers side door rattle from day one. Replaced panel & window track but rattle is back & pass. side has same problem. Steering's very tricky & there's a clunk/pop from underneath car when turning steering wheel. Replaced 2 steering shafts, pump & gear, still having problems. Car idles rough. #8 injector went bad & was replaced along with coil boots. Has died several times, wouldn't start & had to be towed. Poor mileage, maybe related to rough idling & injector problems? Feel safe in it overall, but seems like Ford could have made mine better!

Favorite Features

Roomy. Has power to pull boat or 2 ATV's with 14-ft. trailer. Being able to see traffic ahead! Auto- dimming rearview mirror, adjustable pedals.

Suggested Improvements

Drastically improve steering - it can be dangerous! Work on rattles & stop using cheap plastic parts on the window tracks. Figure out rough idle, coil & injector problems & fix them! Improve mechanical quality or give a better warranty.

Looked at many Large SUV's
By pushka21

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the 2001 XLT used. The ride is fantastic and I got the 9 passenger with the front bench seat.

Favorite Features

I like the light up buttons for windows, cruise control, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Steering is very precise, almost too sensitive for a large vehicle.

2001 ford xlt expedition
By dlenhart

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle in Oklahoma when we both had good paying jobs. We moved to Montana where good paying jobs are a joke. We are stretching money to continue to make payment on this vehicle as we really like it, but we don't know how long we will be able to afford it. Sure hate to trade or sell it. It has driven through ice, snow, fields, and mud since moving to this beautiful state, if you know what I mean. It is not 4WD, but handle itself like with feed bags in the back.

Favorite Features

The inside, the way it holds the road, the room for hauling stuff and the good looks of the exterior when its clean, which isn't often any more.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce the price so more folks can enjoy it.

Nice SUV
By Greg G

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

For the price I think this truck was a deal considering all the interior space that you get. I could not find any other trucks in this price range that had this much room. I looked at the Tahoes but they were thousands more and they appeared to have less room.

Favorite Features

Smooth quiet ride. Great for interstate driving on long trips. Spaciouness.

Suggested Improvements

Get the 5.4 liter engine. The gas mileage is close to the same but it has more power. I got the "premium" sound system. There is nothing preimum about the speakers at at. I think they sound flat. I will be replacing them soon.

ford expedition
By gmf

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Best car I have ever owned. 2nd Expedition. Plenty of room for 5 and can carry 4 sets of golf clubs and still have room.

Favorite Features

Lots of room and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Only complaint is the gas milage, but it is what was advertised.

Built Ford Tough!
By gdub

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Overall Ford has come out with a great SUV. Make sure you opt on the 5.4 liter as the 4.6 is underpowered.

Favorite Features

Favorite Feature is the ability to tow up to 9,000lbs. After adding a K&N air intake system and 3" performance exhaust system, my 5.4 liter really moves. HP @ 290

Suggested Improvements

The leather interior could be a little more plush. It is kind of dull.

bemouth
By pmc

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

20 mpg on highway was an unexpected bonus (2wd, standard v8). Leather is worth the extra cost.

Favorite Features

comfort, really does hold 9 people.

Suggested Improvements

Steering is too tight, it takes a couple of weeks to master driving on slick roads or in mountains.