Used 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Best Used Truck I Ever Bought
By ac14

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Ok, I didn't buy my Ford Expedition new. I purchased it used with 24k miles. It is now 2014 and the truck has just crossed 305k. It has been by far the BEST Vehicle I have ever owned. With the exception of normal maintenance and one fuel pump that died at 245K - The truck has always done the job. It has the original transmission and engine. It has traveled From Florida to Texas, up the entire East Coast and with any luck last until 350K. It will be a sad day when it finally dies

Size, Comfort and durability

None

Refined Workhorse
By CG

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Expedition new in 01 and have been very pleased with the reliability and comfort of this vehicle. It now has 140k and still rides very smooth and feels wonderful. It has been very reliable with regular maintenance performed. My wife has abused this car with three kids and "Eddie" (nickname my kids gave it) has responded with remarkable resiliency. A real feather in ford's cap. I will be buying the 01-03 F150 with the same engine (5.4 liter Triton V8) in a few years after I retire. Eddie has been an extremely reliable vehicle who acts like he wants to run another 100k easy. I will be giving him a tune up soon replacing all the plugs and wires. Well deserved!

Reliability, comfort, build quality

Reliability of air suspension system. I will be replacing with springs later this year, the air pump is almost shot for the air suspension system and the leveler.

Unbelievable!!!
By rb

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new in Feb 01. It has nearly 200,000 miles and has been nearly flawless. Replaced 2 coils and a cruise control switch which came to a few hundrerd bucks. Otherwise, just standard maintenance. It rides super smooth, has great handling and acceleration,(4.6L) and has nice features throughout. I never dreamed this truck would last this long without major repairs. Ford got this one right!

Smooth ride, good acceleration, handles and corners like a car. Comfortable seating, wide deep console, and more room inside this vehicle than you could ever imagine. Keyless entry is great and adjustable pedals and seat memory function come in handy also.

I wish it did not have autolocking doors.

Awesome truck
By grimja

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We've had our Expidition for four or five years now and it has 158,000 miles on it due to the long trips we take it on. Even though the family doesn't go many places together anymore I still like to drive it, even though the gas mileage is impractical. I just love how comfortable it is. It doesn't get up to speed very fast, but that's not what it was built for. The thing has only let me down once and it was due to a vacuum leak and that was two years ago. Now all I am worrying about is the rear end, which leaks fluid. Other than that it is great for its age, doesn't eat oil and even though the kids gave it a beating, you can't tell it at all.

I like the radio with the sub and all. I also like the auto a/c and the memory settings. Oh and the fog lights help a lot, I expirmented after first getting it and just the headlights alone are nothing compared to using them with fog lights.

The only thing I can say would need to be improved is the gas mileage. Oh, and for some reason when the car shakes the leather on the passenger seat squeaks, kind of annoying.

Functional but not very reliable
By Ken

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm a big guy 6'4", so the roominess is highly valued for me. It's also great for families and to lug things around. But I now have 125k miles on it and the front and rear differentials just went - $3 grand for that and I just dumped another $1,500 into it a few months ago. A lot of minor things have also gone wrong -- back windshield wiper broke, cruise control broke, cup holder broke, etc. And I am not hard on this car. I baby it. I get 15mpg, so that's a tough one too, but I knew that when I bought it. I just didn't know gas was going to be $5 a gallon!

The beepy thing when you back up that gets faster the closer you get to something. Love that.

The 3rd seat is difficult to remove. 2nd row seats can't fold down all the way when the front seats are all the way back. ( I have bucket seats in 2nd row) Get rid of the radio controls in the back of the center console. My kids think it's funny to change my station or turn the volume down.

• SUV