2001 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Best Used Truck I Ever Bought
By ac14 on 01/27/14 17:52 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Ok, I didn't buy my Ford Expedition new. I purchased it used with 24k miles. It is now 2014 and the truck has just crossed 305k. It has been by far the BEST Vehicle I have ever owned. With the exception of normal maintenance and one fuel pump that died at 245K - The truck has always done the job. It has the original transmission and engine. It has traveled From Florida to Texas, up the entire East Coast and with any luck last until 350K. It will be a sad day when it finally dies

Refined Workhorse
By CG on 07/11/10 13:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Expedition new in 01 and have been very pleased with the reliability and comfort of this vehicle. It now has 140k and still rides very smooth and feels wonderful. It has been very reliable with regular maintenance performed. My wife has abused this car with three kids and "Eddie" (nickname my kids gave it) has responded with remarkable resiliency. A real feather in ford's cap. I will be buying the 01-03 F150 with the same engine (5.4 liter Triton V8) in a few years after I retire. Eddie has been an extremely reliable vehicle who acts like he wants to run another 100k easy. I will be giving him a tune up soon replacing all the plugs and wires. Well deserved!

Unbelievable!!!
By rb on 05/06/10 08:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new in Feb 01. It has nearly 200,000 miles and has been nearly flawless. Replaced 2 coils and a cruise control switch which came to a few hundrerd bucks. Otherwise, just standard maintenance. It rides super smooth, has great handling and acceleration,(4.6L) and has nice features throughout. I never dreamed this truck would last this long without major repairs. Ford got this one right!

Awesome truck
By grimja on 10/13/08 21:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We've had our Expidition for four or five years now and it has 158,000 miles on it due to the long trips we take it on. Even though the family doesn't go many places together anymore I still like to drive it, even though the gas mileage is impractical. I just love how comfortable it is. It doesn't get up to speed very fast, but that's not what it was built for. The thing has only let me down once and it was due to a vacuum leak and that was two years ago. Now all I am worrying about is the rear end, which leaks fluid. Other than that it is great for its age, doesn't eat oil and even though the kids gave it a beating, you can't tell it at all.

Functional but not very reliable
By Ken on 06/15/08 02:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm a big guy 6'4", so the roominess is highly valued for me. It's also great for families and to lug things around. But I now have 125k miles on it and the front and rear differentials just went - $3 grand for that and I just dumped another $1,500 into it a few months ago. A lot of minor things have also gone wrong -- back windshield wiper broke, cruise control broke, cup holder broke, etc. And I am not hard on this car. I baby it. I get 15mpg, so that's a tough one too, but I knew that when I bought it. I just didn't know gas was going to be $5 a gallon!

Just Great to Drive
By Brown on 04/16/08 14:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Just do the routine service as required and the Expedition will perform as marketed. Have really enjoyed driving it in city and on the highway. Enjoy the safety of sitting higher to see any problems and the storage. One of the most enjoyable cars we had over the years.

It did what we needed, when we needed
By SAL LOYA on 03/20/08 10:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We did all the maintenance, it never left us stranded. We liked going on long trips, because of the comfort. I chose for my wife for safety, she chose for looks and how easy it was to drive.

I call it my Expialidocious!
By TheRealSoprano on 09/28/07 05:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love driving my Expedition. People still are impressed by all of its fabulous features. The adjustable pedals are a must for me because I am short. I love sliding into the comfy seats after a long day on my feet, and it is so fun to drive! That's why I call it my "Ex-pi-al-i-docious! When I first brought it home, my teenage son offered to give up his bedroom and move in to my car. He called the third row seat "stadium seating". I have never had a moment of trouble with it, and it still seems new even though I have put 100,000 miles on it.

I'm Impressed
By DebraLynn on 01/10/06 17:23 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My husband and I love this SUV. It drives so easy and I'm short. I'm able to handle it okay. My 7 year old loves the room it has. With all the bells and whistles it's a dream to own.

It's okay
By Lulu on 03/30/05 22:19 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Big repairs, but we put on big miles, too. We are on our third set of tires. Have had to replace the front hubs at about 160K miles. Amazingly comfortable for a big old tub that's as worn out as ours is. Midway, we had to replace the gas tank because it was warped and that cost about $900.