Poor build quality...under engineered.
By Merkl on
2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD
Mine has had 77000 easy miles on it to date. The toughest thing it has to do is load up at Wal-Mart. In the past 19000 miles I have had to spend $2530.03 to keep it running. This includes an alternator and a new battery that the dying alternator killed, a new rear wiper motor, new rear lock actuator solenoid, new #5 coil, new lower ball joints, new left front door switch, new idler arm, and most recently new front sway bar links. Keep up the good work Ford. Way to go putting a 6000 plus lb. vehicle out on the road with paper mache in place of a typical truck front suspension. I have truly enjoyed getting to know the service guys at the dealership. I'll send them a card when it is gone.
Favorite Features
The exterior styling. It still looks good in as much as a money pit can look good to you. I think the rusty, factory tow hitch is a nice extra. Every Ford truck that I see of this era has a rust covered hitch on it. Thanks for the extra attention to detail quality Ford.
Suggested Improvements
Improvements are needed with the front suspension, brakes, front seats, electrical, and the overall ride quality. If they have a few spare moments left over after all that, they may want to work on this thing getting miles per gallon instead of gallons per mile.