2000 Ford Expedition Consumer Review: Experience with my Expediton

2000 Ford Expedition - Consumer Review

Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.4L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Experience with my Expediton
By Hank Wacker on

2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Everything, including the electronics were trouble-free. The ride was like a luxury car and gas milage on the highway was a consistent 17mpg. However, when I towed my trailer the mileage and power went drastically down. The 5.4 engine is great, however the rear axle 373 can't handle the load. I suggest that if one wants to tow a 6000 lb. trailer, buy a power stroke diesel (like i just did). Towing with a 5.4/373 axle is not meant for towing much weight (I found). I needed to bring up my rmp's to abuot 4000 in 1st gear (automatic) and then go up the big grades at 35 mph.

The captains' chairs are superior and very comfortable. The automatic selection for driver 1 and driver 2 is very convienient. The 6 change CD player worked great and we bought an extra changer at the Ford store to carry extra cd's with us on long trips

I had wished that the vehicle had an option of a beefed up engine, drive train and 410 axle for towing. The overdrive will assist in good gas mileage when not towing.