2000 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Good vehicle- but do the maintenance!
By Robertthegreat on 08/18/06 09:24 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Bought used in 2003 to replace 1995 Astro van that we had crashed. Has been a really good vehicle with no problems. When I bought it the dealer said that they had serviced the vehicle with a major tune up and transmission service. Recently when you push on the gas the car started to pull back in power. The first thing i thought was the transmission, so i had it serviced and the tech said it had never been serviced before, but was very clean. Well that wasn't the problem, a master mechanic finally found the problem as an arcing going across the distributor wire. So I paid for a major tune and had everything replaced. $700 dollars later, runs good now. Not a very cool car for Laguna Beach!

Number 1 SUV made!
By tj on 01/24/06 14:07 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

We love our truck. Fits the whole family and the dog. Fun to drive!

Expedition - Comfort, Ergonomics & Value
By tobermori on 08/08/05 22:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Great truck. No racer, as you would expect, but I tow our 20' boat up 6 degree inclines in the Blue Ridge Mountains with no problems at all, and I have the 4.6 Triton! Comfortable on the highway. The XLT Sport is a great deal. XLT with bonuses! You have to have Continental tires on this SUV; they improve handling and quieten the ride.

Great car
By Swf on 03/11/05 08:45 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

This is one of the best cars I have owned. The ride is great and even in city traffic it is good to drive. The only down fall is the air conditioning isn't as good as the old freon systems and in the south you need great air. Overall a great car.

Electrical Problems
By Rob Mathis on 02/15/05 10:52 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Intermittently some accessories are staying on after the keys are removed from the vehicle running the battery dead over night. Can't always remember to shut everything off. BIG Problem. We can't rely on it! Very disappointed. Great vehicle other than that. Ford dealership cannot find a problem. So far 4 separate instances with a brand new battery.

Ford Expedition 2000 XLT 2WD
By gvowell on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Good family car. Gas hog. Easy to get in and out of. Rides great.

Reliable, Comfortable Workhorse
By BoatingFan on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Purchased my Expy used with 80K miles to use as a tow vehicle for my boat. I've put nearly 30K miles on her since then and other than front and rear brake jobs, I've had her in the shop once to replace an ignition coil. She's been very reliable. The 5.4L V8 runs strong and with the 3.55 diff. I get a respectable 19-20 mpg on the road, 15mpg when pulling the boat.I find myself driving it more because it's comfortable and allows me to see the road much better than from behind the wheel of my Camry.Placement of controls are well thought out and easy to reach. Cloth seats are comfortable too. We also love the 3rd row seat, rear a/c. The lighted running boards mak

Another Tranny Story
By Ford Phobic on 06/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

But this one used, had 27K miles on it. After racking up an additional 35K in less than two years, the transmission gave in and was replaced. Thank God we had an extended warranty! Hopefully we can go another 60K before it breaks down again.

Good Family SUV All Around
By Willis on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this car in 2000 because our family needed a larger vehicle than our 1998 Ford Explorer. I had earlier looked at Expeditions and really liked the looks in 1998 and wanted one. It drives well and has really good reliabiliy. The only problem so far was an odd, groaning idling at stoplights, but it has been fixed and not as problematic. If you are considering any Expedition, I think you will find it at least plaeasing.

Safe Efficient SUV
By Urho on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I average 20 m.p.g. on the highway on flat terrain, but the 4.6 liter does have to work in the hills and the vehicle is loaded. After 4 years the truck is still in excellent shape and has not been in the shop for repair excepting a loose wire on the back up system. 5 star safety rating was a factor in purchase. Ford needs a 8-way seat as seen in the Honda Pilot.