2000 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
I Love My Expo
By I am Happy With It on 04/28/10 16:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am very pleased with my Expedition. I bought it 3 years ago and had to replace the transmission ounce at 150,000. It tows well and off roads well. nice ground clearance. Hauling 3 kids and a dog and some friends around, camping and taking trips is comfortable with the interior design. I do wonder about the electrical though, I have trouble withe the keyless entry and my dome lights no longer go on when I open the doors. Other then that a good family vehicle.

Loved it!
By fivestar7777 on 03/26/10 23:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I loved my expedition for 8 years until my daughter recently totaled it at a 4 way stop. Very comfortable, dependable and safe. Good vehicle (tank) to have your teens learn to drive. The only real gripe I have is the gas mileage which was about 11. When the gas price went to $4.50, it hurt! For the past 3 years, the transmission shifted hard from 1st to 2nd. Made me nervous to think the tranny might be going out but it never did. My mileage was almost 100K.

5.4L Engine Blown at 57K?
By Frankie on 01/03/10 15:59 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle NEW, for the reliability, and safety All services done on time by FORD Spent $800 @ All Star Ford for the 60K major tuneup to insure all was well (car was running great before). 500miles later in Portland lost all oil pressure, off on off on. Tow to Mock Ford Grants Pass, Oregon They said No Oil pressure in Head Galleys that will be $6100 for new engine! Side Note - Manual states 6 qts for all oil inluding filter. All Star used 7qts this time (never before though) Ford Districa Manager says NOTHING FORD did. This was my 5th Ford, last 3 I bought New. NO MORE FORDs in my Familes EVER. Ford Tougth, Quality< ? Sand Behind their prodcuts/custoerms NO

Blown Spark Plugs!
By Tommy Shaw on 11/30/09 20:04 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

That's all I have to say! Blown Spark plugs! Run! Run! Run Away! Will cost $500 min each plug to fix! This is a major problem! They blow up and out of the hole because there's only 4 little aluminum threads holding them in. Then they hit the fuel rail rupturing it and wah lah your car is a BBQ! Ford ignores. Says nothing's wrong. Great quality!

I LOVE(D) My Black Ex-Pee
By HazMatic on 11/07/09 17:33 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I had a 2000 expedition for 3 years and would've still had it if a tree didn't murder it! In three years I just changed the fuel pump once. I experienced the cylinder misfire issue as well but it didn't effect the over- all performance. I loved the room, it's durable, and it's fun to drive in the snow. I'd definitely recommend this truck!

A good SUV
By DS on 08/28/09 07:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

The Expedition is a great truck for traveling with the family. The gas mileage makes it an expensive daily commuter. The major problems I have had with this truck are blown spark plugs and the emergency brake. So far I have repaired three spark plugs and replaced three coil packs. Two in my driveway and one in the Appellation Mountains behind a parts store. All repairs where with the Helicoil save a thread kit 5334-14 and a little quick set hi temp lock tight. It takes about an hour for the repair and $40. So far I have about 30K to 40K on the repairs. The emergency brake repair parts are a dealer item only and are sold as a complete kit. The other problems where from normal wear and tear.

Still enjoying this 2000 Expedition
By Gumby on 08/07/09 06:18 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this 2000 Expedition new and now have 177K miles on it. All repairs have been wear related - alternator, upper & lower control arms (because ball joints are sealed and not replaceable separately), and the anti-lock control unit. I don't consider any of that major repair. (I had the original anti-lock control unit rebuilt, which was an inexpensive repair.) Of course we've done brakes, shocks, and plugs. This SUV rides and drives great and I will definitely miss it when I finally have to part with it. Only complaint is that it is under-braked, but I knew that when I bought it. You can run out of brake when towing in hot/high conditions - so beware when going downhill.

A review
By Fritz on 07/02/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My Expedition is 9 years old, and I have started looking around for a replacement. What were 'high end' features in 2000 are less than base now in most SUVs of this class. When I purchased this one I was ticked at Ford over a maintenance issue, but the GMs felt too cheap. Now, the new Expeditions feel too cheap. In 9 years I have replaced the the alternator twice, the water pump, the load leveling suspension motor, and the sunroof motor.. The reviews in 2000 indicated the electrical systems are where this vehicle would have problems, and that has proven to be pretty accurate. Back to the replacement... I love my current truck and have decided to just keep driving it.

Lost an engine at 100k miles
By W on 04/08/09 13:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned almost 9 yrs. except for the bottom end of the engine going out at 100k miles ($8k later) I love it. Use it for snow plow, pull 24' boat goes anywhere and has never let us down (except for the engine). Has original battery but new alternator. Lots of room and very comfortable. Handles well on wet, dry roads as wel as in ice and snow. I don't like all the cheap-looking plastic on the new Epeditions. Plus the prices are way too expensive. Get the gas mileage up to 22-25 mpg, keep the power and handling etc and I might buy another.

found on road dead
By kbajza on 03/08/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this car new, and a year into owning it, the 5 disk cd player broke, and wasnt covered under the warrenty. After six years, one of the coils had to be replaced, and 6 months later, another one had to be replaced. both times the repair bill was over $500. 6 months later an O ring had to be replaced and because they had to remove the gas tank to figure that out, the bill was about $600 (the o ring literally cost 25 bucks). Just last year, the transmission blew. Thankfully my mechanic felt like being creative and replaced the solenoid pack and that worked but again, over $500 in repairs. All in all, I've spent over 4000 replacing and repairing. Not worth buying.