Used 2000 Ford Expedition XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Good SUV
By jorge_sandoval

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I don't know why other expi owner's are having problem with gas mileage in my case I am not experiencing this considering the SUV's size, weight, power, and comfort this is a win for the buck, we can't compare the gas mileage of this to smaller SUV's and cars, I guess driving attitude contributes a lot in gas mileage, I do a very slow acceleration from the start til it reaches the right speed comfort. Following the recommended PMS, check up, A?C cleaning will is the key also, right now I am enjoying my Expi for 14 years and still works well, without any problems, just did a tire change twice from year 2000-2014. I love this truck, as a long distance driver, I feel very secured with this.

Comfort, safety features, power.

Change the stock tires, continental tires has problem on the sidewalls.

Depends on hwo you evaluate things
By cajunflipper

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

200,650 miles, mpg-avg 14 in city,17 hwy Improper original windshield install caused water to leak through dask and into fuse box causing lose of underhood lite, courtsey overhead maps lites, and rear wiper motor quit. Ford wouldn't cover it. Overhead map reading courtesy lites, just changing the bulbs major ordeal, micro thin electrical film circuitry under the bulb tore (1/8" wide). Unless you are an electrical engineer or know someone who is, you either get a new (whole overhead unit),used $50 if you pulled it from scrape yard, new approx $350 if you can get one. Extreme poor design, this and many other areas.

Big, safe, large capacity, have had to sleep in it several weeks total on vacations and TDY. Holds what I need and tows reasonably well.

As big and roomy, the engine and other compartments, why use extremely cheaply made and quality.

11 Years and Still a Good Vehicle
By Vin Tanner

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new. All issues are normal wear and tear: control arms replaced @ 90,000 miles. 2 coils replaced in 10 years. Outside of that: Nothing! Change the oil regularly and drive responsibly and you get a good vehicle. Safety: superb. Mileage decent for big heavy SUV: 19 Hwy; Controls simple in old vehicle. Reliability: 5 star. Safety: 5 star Comfort: 4 star. I see these all around town, Ford did well with this SUV. Would buy again, would recommend. 4.6 L/ 4 speed. Thanks

New vehicles have these features. At the time the XLT was adequate. Perhaps having nothing fancy has kept maintenance costs low. Ford went to 5W- 20 synthetic blend oil and with this there is no oil use at all.

Happy Ford Owner
By Happy Ford Owner

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Expedition in 2001. I have had to replace the transmission, two coils, and wheel bearing, ball joints and some other stuff. Now at 138,00 miles and in the shop again. But for some reason I just can't let this truck go. I just bought a Mercedes ML350. But i couldn't trade in my Ford. I just Love It. It's been fixed up just for me and I can't let it go.

Roomy, interior design, comfortable on long trips and I have had many of those.

Gas mileage and maybe some wood grain interior.

10 good years
By Tuscaloosa Tom

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought this XLT new and it has had only one maintenance issue, a short in the rear sonal wiring. Other than that is has been close to perfect as far as reliability. I do all routine maintenance as required and this may have helped. ground clearance good, power sufficient. Hwy mileage 18-20, city maybe 14. Great A/C and good engine cooling. Good NHTSA safety ratings.

1. Keyless keyboard entry 2. Backup sonar 3. 5 Star Safety Rating 4. Reliability

Memory seats would have helped 10 years ago.