2000 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Good SUV
By jorge_sandoval on 05/18/14 17:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I don't know why other expi owner's are having problem with gas mileage in my case I am not experiencing this considering the SUV's size, weight, power, and comfort this is a win for the buck, we can't compare the gas mileage of this to smaller SUV's and cars, I guess driving attitude contributes a lot in gas mileage, I do a very slow acceleration from the start til it reaches the right speed comfort. Following the recommended PMS, check up, A?C cleaning will is the key also, right now I am enjoying my Expi for 14 years and still works well, without any problems, just did a tire change twice from year 2000-2014. I love this truck, as a long distance driver, I feel very secured with this.

Depends on hwo you evaluate things
By cajunflipper on 03/31/14 11:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

200,650 miles, mpg-avg 14 in city,17 hwy Improper original windshield install caused water to leak through dask and into fuse box causing lose of underhood lite, courtsey overhead maps lites, and rear wiper motor quit. Ford wouldn't cover it. Overhead map reading courtesy lites, just changing the bulbs major ordeal, micro thin electrical film circuitry under the bulb tore (1/8" wide). Unless you are an electrical engineer or know someone who is, you either get a new (whole overhead unit),used $50 if you pulled it from scrape yard, new approx $350 if you can get one. Extreme poor design, this and many other areas.

11 Years and Still a Good Vehicle
By Vin Tanner on 08/17/10 07:43 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new. All issues are normal wear and tear: control arms replaced @ 90,000 miles. 2 coils replaced in 10 years. Outside of that: Nothing! Change the oil regularly and drive responsibly and you get a good vehicle. Safety: superb. Mileage decent for big heavy SUV: 19 Hwy; Controls simple in old vehicle. Reliability: 5 star. Safety: 5 star Comfort: 4 star. I see these all around town, Ford did well with this SUV. Would buy again, would recommend. 4.6 L/ 4 speed. Thanks

Happy Ford Owner
By Happy Ford Owner on 07/27/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Expedition in 2001. I have had to replace the transmission, two coils, and wheel bearing, ball joints and some other stuff. Now at 138,00 miles and in the shop again. But for some reason I just can't let this truck go. I just bought a Mercedes ML350. But i couldn't trade in my Ford. I just Love It. It's been fixed up just for me and I can't let it go.

10 good years
By Tuscaloosa Tom on 07/01/10 19:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Bought this XLT new and it has had only one maintenance issue, a short in the rear sonal wiring. Other than that is has been close to perfect as far as reliability. I do all routine maintenance as required and this may have helped. ground clearance good, power sufficient. Hwy mileage 18-20, city maybe 14. Great A/C and good engine cooling. Good NHTSA safety ratings.

found on road dead
By kbajza on 03/08/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this car new, and a year into owning it, the 5 disk cd player broke, and wasnt covered under the warrenty. After six years, one of the coils had to be replaced, and 6 months later, another one had to be replaced. both times the repair bill was over $500. 6 months later an O ring had to be replaced and because they had to remove the gas tank to figure that out, the bill was about $600 (the o ring literally cost 25 bucks). Just last year, the transmission blew. Thankfully my mechanic felt like being creative and replaced the solenoid pack and that worked but again, over $500 in repairs. All in all, I've spent over 4000 replacing and repairing. Not worth buying.

Good truck
By Rideflytx on 12/26/08 11:16 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

We bought this over the GM alternatives because of the interior design. Overall a good truck and reliable transportation. Transmission lost third gear around 120,000 miles and had it rebuilt. Other than that, no other mechanical issues. Interior cup holder in dash got stuck, some sort of grease leaked out from under the center console and stained the carpet. Otherwise solid truck. Would buy again - selling now to move to smaller car since we are out of infant seats.

Awesome car
By pmd on 08/22/08 10:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I have had this car for 8 years and it's gone about 243,000. I have only had two minor repairs, an alternatior and a thermostat, less than $500. Anything else was normal, like tires, brake pads and oil changes. I thought I should sell it 2 years ago but kept it and am so glad I did. It just keeps on going. My locks don't respond properly and the drinkholder broke but the car moves with no problem and has not let me down.

Good Vehicle, 8 years and running
By Pat Smith on 04/16/08 06:19 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

At 83,000 miles the only work that has been done on the auto is throttle body cleaning at 80,000 miles and replacement of one coil at around 50,000 miles. Survived a strong hit from Ford Explorer with little damage and no one hurt. Mileage at 20mpg on highway which is good for a large SUV. Cannot get rid of it because it has been so very reliable and secure. Good driving position. Simple dash and plain styling and truck-like ride but big and safe. Rear back up sensor works great. Thanks.

What a truck
By boaloo on 04/01/07 11:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

This truck has been very good to me. I must say the only problem I've had with it was the blown head gasket at 23,000 miles, but it was all under warranty. Other than that, it's great.