1999 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Happy with this one
By handball on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

No real problems with this unit; bot it new, drive it skiing over ice/snow and handles well; good cruiser on freeway and about town.

Money Pit
By Exped on 11/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Ater 45000 miles, things started to go wrong. Transmission replaced, CD player replace, heated seats repaired, rear- end replaced. Thank goodness for the extended warranty or we would have had over $6,000 in repairs ove the last year. Lease is finally up, will not be getting another one.

99 Expy Review
By mhhurst on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1999 4.6 XLT 4WD Expedition. It is a very reliable and dependable vehicle. It was built solidly and has had very few trips to the shop for work outside of normal maintainence. There was one incident with the transmission at 30K miles. They dropped it out, flushed it and cleaned it. Put it back together and viola, problem was solved. Given they only had to replace the gaskets and the transmission fluid, I consider it an overall minor incident. 12K miles later my expy is still cruising along.

IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SUV GO EDDIE
By GLENN COXON on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

WELL ONLY ONE SUV OUT OF FIVE I HAVE PREVIOUSLY OWNED WAS WORTH BEING UPSET OVER WHEN IT WAS TIME TO SAY GOOD BYE AFTER THEY CALLED AND SAID THE LEASE WAS UP. MY 1999 EDDIE BAUER THE GREEN MACHINE.I LOVED IT AND IT LOVED ME ESPECIALLY AT THE GAS STATION BOY CAN THEY DRINK GAS AND AT $1.45 A GALLON ON AVERAGE IT CAN HURT THE OLD POCKET BOOK HAULING THREE TEENAGERS TO BUDDIES HOUSES AND SPORTS VENUES DAILY. WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE WORTH IT.ANYWAY WHAT A SAFE RELIABLE VEHICLE I LOVED IT.

I love my Expedition
By Patrick Powell on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had nothing but great experiences with this truck. I have taken numerious trips in this SUV with my three children and the have been very comfortable. We have always had plenty of room when on the road and the ride and handleing was GREAT! I'm actually getting ready to purchase another!!!

Fun Beast
By guru on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

This was my first Expedition. I have since bought a 2002 Bauer for my wife and she loves it. We have three kids and there aren't many vehicles that you can put three car seats across. I have the 4.6L in both and I think they have great power. Gas mileage is awful but what do you expect from a beast like this.

the best beast
By kinesis on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

the beast is the best. quality,ergonomics,nvh,power,visibility,stability,manueverability,structural integrity,comfort,sight line to traffic. negatives:brakes(now addressed in 2003 model),steering is fine but needs monitoring at cruising speed.(again addressed in 2003 model). all in all a solid performer and well executed truck with luxury features and an almost limo ride, formed in textures and design that should please almost everybody. nice work ford! Kinesis.

Worst Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By LAV on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Definitely a Monday or Friday car. Ford and the UAW should be ashamed of themselves for manufacturing my particular bucket of bolts. Terrible transmission was replaced at 5,000 mi. and is still clunky. Exterior plastic trim has faded. Lots of little things go wrong constantly like rear wiper motor, radio, compass, mirrors. Lotys of things have gone lose with screws, trim, fan motors etc. Very sqeeky ride. It's an overpriced pickup truck with extra seats. Would be perfect vehicle if it add an extra 6 inches behind 3rd rear seat and was built like a Toyota. In summary, American made hunk of junk

'99 Expedition
By Kristopher on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used, previously registered as a diplomatic vehicle for the United Nations in NYC (per Carfax). Now has 97000 miles on it. Lousy gas mileage, but comfy enough for a 6'4" driver. Clutch convertor problems on '99 models, as attested by another '99 owner. AC & heat strong, especially with rear HVAC controls. Leather holds up well, and 4wd works exceptional.

Roomy and Fun to Drive
By Nard on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my vehicle for going on three years and I have loved every minute of it. I have 60,000 miles on it now and I have had no major repairs. There was something wrong with my starter coil but that only cost me 60 bucks. I love it on the highway and in the city. I want to check out the 2003 model....