Used 1999 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great so far
By balty

1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I hate driving trucks, but got this thing anyway. And I'm impressed. Note that my rating is relative to other trucks -- I drive a Continental normally, so these grades aren't relative to it. For example, for a truck, my fuel economy rating is 9. Compared to the Continental, it'd be about 4. See what I mean? As a 6'2" footer, I'm comfortable. Power is so totally there, I don't know what the complaints are about -- and remember, I'm used to a Continental. I'm used to climate control -- set it and forget it. It'd be nice if it were standard on the truck this expensive (yeah, I could have looked harder). I replaced the stereo with a junkyard model with CD/cassette (2000 Explorer stereo).

Third row seat. Fold flat second row seats. Garage door opener compartment. Ride height. Comfort considering it's a truck. Acceleration really is adequate. Non-slip floor mats (really, think about it!). Separate compressor for rear heat/AC. 4WD.

Single, in-dash CD/cassette would have been nice, or CD with mini-jack input instead of cassette (iPod my point here, not cassettes [using cassette adapter here]). Some magic engine with the same power that provides 72MPG. :-)

Need I say more?
By ItsAFord

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Well, we've had issues with our Expedition just as others have. Little things breaking down--rear windshield washer, cheap interior materials, heated seats and mirrors failing. For a $40K truck new, you wouldn't know it by the lack of quality. Frustrating to say the least. We will not be buying another Ford Product. Our 20 year old Toyota Landcruiser is much more reliable than this Expedition. Plus fuel mileage--even with a new fuel filter and dealer servicing, it's around 10 city and 14 highway.

Easy to tow a light camper and boat.

Reliability? Better craftsmanship?

Nice SUV
By TONI

1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Expensive to be worked on. Parts not cheap nor the tune up. Seems to hold up well up to about 80,000 miles, then lots of things go out under the hood. Overall a nice vehicle to drive, roomy but gas isn't cheap these days!

Large enough to take everyone with you. Not enough cargo space. Not even for groceries. You fold down the third row and whatever you place up there is sure to fall when driving. Nicely equipped dash board. Lots of amenities. Love the foot pedal adjustments.

Too much wind noise. Doesn't start as easily in colder weather. Memory seats would be nice.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By Done w/FORD

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Expedition new in 07/1999. Rides great, lots of room, easy to drive, enough power to tow 23' boat w/ease. Electric system is absolutely horrible. All 3 wiper motors, 1 power window, and 1 heated seat have been replaced. Some fuel/air sensor on the engine was replaced. Now all of my warning lights on the dash i.e.; 4x4, ABS, and airbag, have lit up. Dealer wants $270 to figure out why. Doesn't include how much to fix the problem. I've spent more money repairing this 5 year old vehicle than I have on my 15 year old Toyota P/U. I will be trading this in for a Sequoia this week.

Size, room.

As with most Ford vehicles, they need to work on producing a more mechanically reliable vehicle.

da Best
By frank the fish

1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Very happy. Ford does have a better idea, and it's the Expedition. Very stable, smooth ride. Only down side -- lacks power with the 4.6

Ground clearance