Used 1999 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Just Keeps Running
By LLRinCO

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new, this Expedition just keeps running. With over 70K miles on it, we have never had a problem. It rides fine for the truck that it is, has nice features, but best of all it never fails to start or run perfectly.

Favorite Features

CD player, heated seats. I like the size, yet it's easy to maneuver and turns shorter than the Lexus RX300.

Suggested Improvements

They made them in the new body style.

Satisfied Owner
By JRW

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

The overall experience with my Eddie Bauer Expedition has been very good. I purchased the vehicle new nearly six years ago and it has delivered dependable and comfortable service. Having always been a GM man, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Expedition.

Favorite Features

Favorite features include car like handling, roomy interior with more second seat leg room than even in the Suburban, heated seats, and adjustable accelerator and brake pedals.

I LUV THIS SUV!
By LLcoolG

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have had this SUV for 2 1/2 years. I love it. As long as I can afford the gas, I'll keep it. It is so comfortable for me and my large family.

Favorite Features

Sound system, 3rd row seats, mileage indicator, exterior, leather seats, adjustable pedals.

Suggested Improvements

Better trade-in value.

Head Gaskets should be a recall item
By Mike

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my rig new and loved it until the warranty ran out. New power steering pump at 38,000 miles, would not come out of 4WD because of bad switch, then the big one at 60,000 miles - head gaskets went bad. $1,800 repair, new Ford parts and now - leaking again! Heard of several that have had this happen but Ford claims no knowledge of the problem and we are stuck. Fuel mileage lousy, 14 mph on highway and about 11 in city. Good power for towing with 5.4 engine. Love the ride, room, 3rd seat. Been a Ford driver all my life but will be hesitant to continue with the quality issues.

Favorite Features

Great leg room and overall passenger comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Back the product. Head gaskets don't go bad this early. Improve gas mileage

Great so far
By balty

1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I hate driving trucks, but got this thing anyway. And I'm impressed. Note that my rating is relative to other trucks -- I drive a Continental normally, so these grades aren't relative to it. For example, for a truck, my fuel economy rating is 9. Compared to the Continental, it'd be about 4. See what I mean? As a 6'2" footer, I'm comfortable. Power is so totally there, I don't know what the complaints are about -- and remember, I'm used to a Continental. I'm used to climate control -- set it and forget it. It'd be nice if it were standard on the truck this expensive (yeah, I could have looked harder). I replaced the stereo with a junkyard model with CD/cassette (2000 Explorer stereo).

Favorite Features

Third row seat. Fold flat second row seats. Garage door opener compartment. Ride height. Comfort considering it's a truck. Acceleration really is adequate. Non-slip floor mats (really, think about it!). Separate compressor for rear heat/AC. 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Single, in-dash CD/cassette would have been nice, or CD with mini-jack input instead of cassette (iPod my point here, not cassettes [using cassette adapter here]). Some magic engine with the same power that provides 72MPG. :-)