1999 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
I LUV THIS SUV!
By LLcoolG on 04/22/05 18:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have had this SUV for 2 1/2 years. I love it. As long as I can afford the gas, I'll keep it. It is so comfortable for me and my large family.

Head Gaskets should be a recall item
By Mike on 04/06/05 15:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my rig new and loved it until the warranty ran out. New power steering pump at 38,000 miles, would not come out of 4WD because of bad switch, then the big one at 60,000 miles - head gaskets went bad. $1,800 repair, new Ford parts and now - leaking again! Heard of several that have had this happen but Ford claims no knowledge of the problem and we are stuck. Fuel mileage lousy, 14 mph on highway and about 11 in city. Good power for towing with 5.4 engine. Love the ride, room, 3rd seat. Been a Ford driver all my life but will be hesitant to continue with the quality issues.

Great so far
By balty on 04/01/05 11:14 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I hate driving trucks, but got this thing anyway. And I'm impressed. Note that my rating is relative to other trucks -- I drive a Continental normally, so these grades aren't relative to it. For example, for a truck, my fuel economy rating is 9. Compared to the Continental, it'd be about 4. See what I mean? As a 6'2" footer, I'm comfortable. Power is so totally there, I don't know what the complaints are about -- and remember, I'm used to a Continental. I'm used to climate control -- set it and forget it. It'd be nice if it were standard on the truck this expensive (yeah, I could have looked harder). I replaced the stereo with a junkyard model with CD/cassette (2000 Explorer stereo).

Need I say more?
By ItsAFord on 03/21/05 16:00 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Well, we've had issues with our Expedition just as others have. Little things breaking down--rear windshield washer, cheap interior materials, heated seats and mirrors failing. For a $40K truck new, you wouldn't know it by the lack of quality. Frustrating to say the least. We will not be buying another Ford Product. Our 20 year old Toyota Landcruiser is much more reliable than this Expedition. Plus fuel mileage--even with a new fuel filter and dealer servicing, it's around 10 city and 14 highway.

Nice SUV
By TONI on 12/19/04 13:31 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Expensive to be worked on. Parts not cheap nor the tune up. Seems to hold up well up to about 80,000 miles, then lots of things go out under the hood. Overall a nice vehicle to drive, roomy but gas isn't cheap these days!

Fix Or Repair Daily
By Done w/FORD on 12/09/04 09:54 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Expedition new in 07/1999. Rides great, lots of room, easy to drive, enough power to tow 23' boat w/ease. Electric system is absolutely horrible. All 3 wiper motors, 1 power window, and 1 heated seat have been replaced. Some fuel/air sensor on the engine was replaced. Now all of my warning lights on the dash i.e.; 4x4, ABS, and airbag, have lit up. Dealer wants $270 to figure out why. Doesn't include how much to fix the problem. I've spent more money repairing this 5 year old vehicle than I have on my 15 year old Toyota P/U. I will be trading this in for a Sequoia this week.

da Best
By frank the fish on 11/27/04 14:34 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Very happy. Ford does have a better idea, and it's the Expedition. Very stable, smooth ride. Only down side -- lacks power with the 4.6

Last Ford I'll Own
By skatterthemonkey on 11/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first vehicle I've ever bought an extended warranty for (gut feeling?). Two weeks after the purchase , the head gaskets had to be replaced. 30,000 miles later, this vehicle has had over $5,000 of work done on it- second set of head gaskets, auto transmission seals, you name it. Frankly, I can't believe what a POS this truck is. Like the title says, this will be the last Ford product I ever own.

No 3 spark plug on the triton engine
By Lion on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Our expedition was an ok SUV. Breaks were exspensive to replace and the engine light loved to come on and cost us money to get the SUV annalyzed only to find out they had no idea what was wrong. The car would run ruff and sputter after the rain and than dry out and the light would go off. We had it checked again before our family vacation and were told there was nothing wrong. Well the spark plug blew out on the Penn turnpike in route to our vacation destination. We found out it would be at least 3330.00 to fix it but it would take well over a week. We over payed for an Explorer and picked up the Expedition on the way back. Build a better product.

Dissappointed
By Sydnee on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased this vehicle used and purchased the extended warrenty which paid for itself in no time. We've had to replace the brake pads twice because of leaking rear seals, the rear axle, and the transfer case motor. The heated driver's seat broke. Now the alternator needs replaced and now the engine makes a funny clicking noise until it warms up. I think of my 16 year old Honda as more dependable and it has certainly cost us less in repairs over the last two years.They thought perhaps a $700 tune up would fix its problems. That was just two months ago. I've had it, we're car shopping!