1999 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews 4

1999 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

1999 Expedition Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Rating
Satisfied Owner
By JRW

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

The overall experience with my Eddie Bauer Expedition has been very good. I purchased the vehicle new nearly six years ago and it has delivered dependable and comfortable service. Having always been a GM man, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Expedition.

Favorite Features

Favorite features include car like handling, roomy interior with more second seat leg room than even in the Suburban, heated seats, and adjustable accelerator and brake pedals.

I LUV THIS SUV!
By LLcoolG

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have had this SUV for 2 1/2 years. I love it. As long as I can afford the gas, I'll keep it. It is so comfortable for me and my large family.

Favorite Features

Sound system, 3rd row seats, mileage indicator, exterior, leather seats, adjustable pedals.

Suggested Improvements

Better trade-in value.

Head Gaskets should be a recall item
By Mike

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my rig new and loved it until the warranty ran out. New power steering pump at 38,000 miles, would not come out of 4WD because of bad switch, then the big one at 60,000 miles - head gaskets went bad. $1,800 repair, new Ford parts and now - leaking again! Heard of several that have had this happen but Ford claims no knowledge of the problem and we are stuck. Fuel mileage lousy, 14 mph on highway and about 11 in city. Good power for towing with 5.4 engine. Love the ride, room, 3rd seat. Been a Ford driver all my life but will be hesitant to continue with the quality issues.

Favorite Features

Great leg room and overall passenger comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Back the product. Head gaskets don't go bad this early. Improve gas mileage

Great so far
By balty

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I hate driving trucks, but got this thing anyway. And I'm impressed. Note that my rating is relative to other trucks -- I drive a Continental normally, so these grades aren't relative to it. For example, for a truck, my fuel economy rating is 9. Compared to the Continental, it'd be about 4. See what I mean? As a 6'2" footer, I'm comfortable. Power is so totally there, I don't know what the complaints are about -- and remember, I'm used to a Continental. I'm used to climate control -- set it and forget it. It'd be nice if it were standard on the truck this expensive (yeah, I could have looked harder). I replaced the stereo with a junkyard model with CD/cassette (2000 Explorer stereo).

Favorite Features

Third row seat. Fold flat second row seats. Garage door opener compartment. Ride height. Comfort considering it's a truck. Acceleration really is adequate. Non-slip floor mats (really, think about it!). Separate compressor for rear heat/AC. 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Single, in-dash CD/cassette would have been nice, or CD with mini-jack input instead of cassette (iPod my point here, not cassettes [using cassette adapter here]). Some magic engine with the same power that provides 72MPG. :-)

Need I say more?
By ItsAFord

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Well, we've had issues with our Expedition just as others have. Little things breaking down--rear windshield washer, cheap interior materials, heated seats and mirrors failing. For a $40K truck new, you wouldn't know it by the lack of quality. Frustrating to say the least. We will not be buying another Ford Product. Our 20 year old Toyota Landcruiser is much more reliable than this Expedition. Plus fuel mileage--even with a new fuel filter and dealer servicing, it's around 10 city and 14 highway.

Favorite Features

Easy to tow a light camper and boat.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability? Better craftsmanship?

Nice SUV
By TONI

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Expensive to be worked on. Parts not cheap nor the tune up. Seems to hold up well up to about 80,000 miles, then lots of things go out under the hood. Overall a nice vehicle to drive, roomy but gas isn't cheap these days!

Favorite Features

Large enough to take everyone with you. Not enough cargo space. Not even for groceries. You fold down the third row and whatever you place up there is sure to fall when driving. Nicely equipped dash board. Lots of amenities. Love the foot pedal adjustments.

Suggested Improvements

Too much wind noise. Doesn't start as easily in colder weather. Memory seats would be nice.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By Done w/FORD

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Expedition new in 07/1999. Rides great, lots of room, easy to drive, enough power to tow 23' boat w/ease. Electric system is absolutely horrible. All 3 wiper motors, 1 power window, and 1 heated seat have been replaced. Some fuel/air sensor on the engine was replaced. Now all of my warning lights on the dash i.e.; 4x4, ABS, and airbag, have lit up. Dealer wants $270 to figure out why. Doesn't include how much to fix the problem. I've spent more money repairing this 5 year old vehicle than I have on my 15 year old Toyota P/U. I will be trading this in for a Sequoia this week.

Favorite Features

Size, room.

Suggested Improvements

As with most Ford vehicles, they need to work on producing a more mechanically reliable vehicle.

da Best
By frank the fish

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Very happy. Ford does have a better idea, and it's the Expedition. Very stable, smooth ride. Only down side -- lacks power with the 4.6

Favorite Features

Ground clearance

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy

Last Ford I'll Own
By skatterthemonkey

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first vehicle I've ever bought an extended warranty for (gut feeling?). Two weeks after the purchase , the head gaskets had to be replaced. 30,000 miles later, this vehicle has had over $5,000 of work done on it- second set of head gaskets, auto transmission seals, you name it. Frankly, I can't believe what a POS this truck is. Like the title says, this will be the last Ford product I ever own.

No 3 spark plug on the triton engine
By Lion

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Our expedition was an ok SUV. Breaks were exspensive to replace and the engine light loved to come on and cost us money to get the SUV annalyzed only to find out they had no idea what was wrong. The car would run ruff and sputter after the rain and than dry out and the light would go off. We had it checked again before our family vacation and were told there was nothing wrong. Well the spark plug blew out on the Penn turnpike in route to our vacation destination. We found out it would be at least 3330.00 to fix it but it would take well over a week. We over payed for an Explorer and picked up the Expedition on the way back. Build a better product.

Favorite Features

Room for the family and that was what we needed.

Suggested Improvements

Mr Ford build products that your company can stand behind not products you can not. Need I say Pinto and rear end collisions or xplorer roll over. Dii you know Mr. ford i did not know that U-haul refuses to rent their trailers to Ford Exploere owners. I did not know they were this bad.