Used 1999 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Best Car ever owned
By Kenn Sa

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Of all the vehicles I've owned inn the past 26 years, this is by far my favorite. In the 10 years I have owned it, it has never left me stranded. I've replaced the tranny and performed routine maintenance and put in almost 190,000 miles. The interior controls are well placed and cabin space is very pleasing. The SUV handles well and still accelerates with verve.

Favorite Features

The interior space and reliability are what has kept me very pleased with my Expiditty! The factory sound system and rear controls for environment and music are great for trips with the kids.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage is very disappointing. If I were budget minded I'd consider a smaller vehicle with better mileage. Otherwise,I love the SUV.

Great SUV
By mdh5169

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have only owned this vehicle for about 6 months. It had 113K miles on it when I bought it. It now has 117K. The vehicle is great. Nice ride, looks good and very comfortable. I wish it was a little more peppy but hey it does weigh 2 and a half tons. Also the fuel mileage could be a little better but factor in the weight, its all wheel drive and it has 22 inch rims on it. It's not so bad. Overall I would buy again. It has comfort and features and may I add, this from someone who has never been much of a Ford fan :)

Favorite Features

Comfort, room, features, look

Suggested Improvements

Give us some more get up and go and improve the fuel mileage

I'll buy another
By Bulletproof

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my truck. We bought it 5 years ago with 90,000 miles on it and have 142000 on it now. No problems whatsoever. I've pulled a 28' travel trailer foe the past 5 summers. Even though I have the smaller 4.6 motor, it handles it just fine. The tires still have lots of tread with over 50,000 miles. Like everyone else, wish the gas mileage was better. Very comfortable ride. Most impressed with zero maintenance issues. I will buy another one of this vintage whenever this one finally dies. I prefer this body style to the newer model. I have the cloth seats and they show virtually no wear. Ford did an outstanding job on this truck.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Mileage

Not a Rolls-Royce, but gets the job done
By GatorInTheSnow

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had 4 years, good all-around vehicle. Criticisms of Ford design quality are merited: Found out car had a leaky head gasket when we towed a 3-ton trailer and all the coolant spilled out. $1700 to fix? Poured four cans of goo into radiator; that was 30,000 miles ago. Never overheats! Weird self-leveling suspension, air hose broke ($130 at dealer). Auto fulltime 4WD noisy, but helps in stop-n-go when slushy snow. Good steering, tires wear even. Other than that, normal wear - A/C compressor, brakes. Gas mileage per EPA estimate when you obey speed limit. If you were expecting a luxury version of a truck, this isn't it. Satisfies our need for a family car.

Favorite Features

Passenger seating and cargo room, fulltime 4WD. Carries: 2 adults, 2 children in car seats, 2 strollers, diapers & bags of winter clothes, snow shovel, sandbags & salt, 2x36 packs of bottled water & juice, milk crate full of snacks... AND two weeks' of groceries.

Suggested Improvements

Awkward maintenance, drives up labor costs. This engine (99-03 Triton) is notorious for ejecting plugs with stripped threads, not covered by warranty. Ford should focus on vehicle owners' experience, rather than just cranking out cars as fast as possible to please shareholders in the short term.

Reliable Depandable Vehicle over 10 yrs.
By cobaseball3

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new for a family of five. Three boys under the age of 8. Salesperson was a complete tool but, the vehicle and service dept. of Ford Dealership have been professional and knowledgeable for 10 years. Been to many vacations (Disneyland, etc.) ski trips in Mountains and all over the country for baseball tournaments, etc. NEVER ONCE HAD A PROBLEM ON THE ROAD. A beast in the snow, and has been my wife's dependable everyday car for over 10 years (Current Mileage 168,000) and has been one of the best purchases I have ever made, of any product. Own 3 other Fords (F-150's) and I have had the same reliable service. Will Definitely purchase another Ford if same results as our Expedition.

Favorite Features

6 CD Disc, 5.6 V8 power, 4 Wheel Drive, 3rd seat, space/room, tow package, durability.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage (realizing their is a trade off for an 8 passenger SUV)