Used 1999 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer
By pestka

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had the Expy for a couple years and now have 270100 miles on her. One engine re-build and transmission is all I
have had to do over the years.I hear about how the milage is, but I am getting 17ish in town and 20ish on the Hwy with the 5.4, people if dont shove your foot through the fire wall upon acceleration this is possible milage for all! I cannot believe how reliable this vehicle has been weather hauling the boat or the groceries this vehicle has meet my needs. She has handled all Wisconsin can throw at it. Ice, snow, and heat she comes through!!! Henry would approve of this bad@ss machine. I cannot belive someone traded me a mint Expy for a 2wd Sportage straight up, what a goof!

I have to say the AWD is the most loved feature, in winter it is so nice not to have to switch to 4WD while driving, specially when the wife is in it. My kids would say the moon roof is the best, for some reason this is the greatest thing in their young eyes! Secondly i love the storage, you would not believe how many McDonalds toys one can find when doing a good cleaning job, record is 9!

The only improvement I would recommend would be to make some room so a guy dosent have to hyperextend every part of the body to do repairs/maintenance, I do my own work and hate how in the day you could change plugs in 15 minutes, and now it takes an hour plus you gotta take half the top end to get at the plugs. Other than that this is an incredible machine as this is my first Ford I am impressed!

Best Car ever owned
By Kenn Sa

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Of all the vehicles I've owned inn the past 26 years, this is by far my favorite. In the 10 years I have owned it, it has never left me stranded. I've replaced the tranny and performed routine maintenance and put in almost 190,000 miles. The interior controls are well placed and cabin space is very pleasing. The SUV handles well and still accelerates with verve.

The interior space and reliability are what has kept me very pleased with my Expiditty! The factory sound system and rear controls for environment and music are great for trips with the kids.

Mileage is very disappointing. If I were budget minded I'd consider a smaller vehicle with better mileage. Otherwise,I love the SUV.

Great SUV
By mdh5169

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have only owned this vehicle for about 6 months. It had 113K miles on it when I bought it. It now has 117K. The vehicle is great. Nice ride, looks good and very comfortable. I wish it was a little more peppy but hey it does weigh 2 and a half tons. Also the fuel mileage could be a little better but factor in the weight, its all wheel drive and it has 22 inch rims on it. It's not so bad. Overall I would buy again. It has comfort and features and may I add, this from someone who has never been much of a Ford fan :)

Comfort, room, features, look

Give us some more get up and go and improve the fuel mileage

I'll buy another
By Bulletproof

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my truck. We bought it 5 years ago with 90,000 miles on it and have 142000 on it now. No problems whatsoever. I've pulled a 28' travel trailer foe the past 5 summers. Even though I have the smaller 4.6 motor, it handles it just fine. The tires still have lots of tread with over 50,000 miles. Like everyone else, wish the gas mileage was better. Very comfortable ride. Most impressed with zero maintenance issues. I will buy another one of this vintage whenever this one finally dies. I prefer this body style to the newer model. I have the cloth seats and they show virtually no wear. Ford did an outstanding job on this truck.

Mileage

Not a Rolls-Royce, but gets the job done
By GatorInTheSnow

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had 4 years, good all-around vehicle. Criticisms of Ford design quality are merited: Found out car had a leaky head gasket when we towed a 3-ton trailer and all the coolant spilled out. $1700 to fix? Poured four cans of goo into radiator; that was 30,000 miles ago. Never overheats! Weird self-leveling suspension, air hose broke ($130 at dealer). Auto fulltime 4WD noisy, but helps in stop-n-go when slushy snow. Good steering, tires wear even. Other than that, normal wear - A/C compressor, brakes. Gas mileage per EPA estimate when you obey speed limit. If you were expecting a luxury version of a truck, this isn't it. Satisfies our need for a family car.

Passenger seating and cargo room, fulltime 4WD. Carries: 2 adults, 2 children in car seats, 2 strollers, diapers & bags of winter clothes, snow shovel, sandbags & salt, 2x36 packs of bottled water & juice, milk crate full of snacks... AND two weeks' of groceries.

Awkward maintenance, drives up labor costs. This engine (99-03 Triton) is notorious for ejecting plugs with stripped threads, not covered by warranty. Ford should focus on vehicle owners' experience, rather than just cranking out cars as fast as possible to please shareholders in the short term.