1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

1999 Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Sort Reviews by

Great 7 year old SUV
By rbush

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought this SUV new in 1999 and now have 95,000 miles on it. It has performed extremely well over the years and has been very reliable and easy to drive. It is great for towing boats and Waverunners as well as U-Hauls to take kids to college. The throttle valve assembly was replaced at 86K miles but otherwise no major repairs other than routine maintenance. I would definitely buy another if I needed a large SUV.

Favorite Features

Adjustable foot pedals for my wife. 4 cup holders available to front seat occupants. Lots of power for acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is always an issue with the price of gas but you have to expect poor mileage with a vehicle this size. Third row seat is uncomfortable but rarely used...usually stays in the garage so cargo space is maximized.

Never ever we will buy Ford
By Alan

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Bought it new for my wife, the list price was over $39,000. We had so many little problems that's cost a lot to be fixed. Air ride bags $800. Air conditioner. leaking water $750. Power bank (it's like spark plugs) $800. Heater trap door activator $1000. Head light auto switch, rear wiper, sticky linkage cable...etc. All of that on top of bad gas mileage. I just can't help it but compare it to my trusty 1994 Honda Accord with 153,000 miles and tell my self why... why... why... you stupid had to buy a Ford?

Favorite Features

I liked it under the bumper to bumper warranty only.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Reliability is a serious problem and costly.

I LUV THIS SUV!
By LLcoolG

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have had this SUV for 2 1/2 years. I love it. As long as I can afford the gas, I'll keep it. It is so comfortable for me and my large family.

Favorite Features

Sound system, 3rd row seats, mileage indicator, exterior, leather seats, adjustable pedals.

Suggested Improvements

Better trade-in value.

1999 ExpeLemon Eddie Bauer - Burned By F
By disgruntled_at_ford

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

replaced emissions sensor at 45,000, altenator at 47,000 and transmission at 84,000. never seen such horrible quality.

Good truck for the money
By kimco

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

When our lease for our Tahoe was up we wanted to buy our next SUV. For the money the Exp was the best bet. Compaired to the Tahoe it didnt match up. But for the money we can't beat it. I wish it got better gas mileage. I only get 13 city/hwy. If money was not a option I would have another Tahoe.

Favorite Features

Stylish Looks, Easy to drive, 3rd seat rear air/heat

Suggested Improvements

CD/Radio, gas mileage

By happytobealive

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Yesterday I was involved in a serious accident with my 1999 Expediation. If it wasn't for the fact that the truck was so well built and the handling was so tight, I wouldn't be here today. The drivers door took the full impact and the drivers compartment was not compromised in any way. Both myself and my husband (who was driving) walked away. The truck was totalled and I am going right out and buy another!! Excellent truck!

Favorite Features

The best features are the visability and steering capabilities of this large SUV. I cannot say enough good things about this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

SPARK PLUG BLOWS OUT #3
By RON BLONIGEN

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

DRIVEING IN TRAFFIC STARTED TO MOVE AGAIN THIS TRUCK MADE A NOISE LIKE THE WHOLE BOTTOM END WAS COMING APART,CALLED FORD PARTS HOUSE THEY TOLD ME THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT FORD NOISE ABOUT AND HAS A UPDATED PART FOR THE PROBLEM I CALL THE 800 HELP LINE THE PERSON WHO I TALKED TO TOLD ME THAT AT THIS TIME FORD HAS A TSB ON THE PART AND THAT FORD IS JUST TRYING TO MAKE A BETTER PART FOR THE CUSTUMER. THIS REPAIR COST ME 1800.00 TO HAVE FIXED IM FAR FROM THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS THIS PROBLEM JUST LOOK ON LINE

Suggested Improvements

FORD TO ACCECPT THAT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM AND DEAL WITH IT DEALER SHIPS ARE MAKEING A KILLING ON THIS PROBLEM. I DO KNOW THIS MY FARTHER IN LAW WORKS FOR A FORD DEALER SHIP OTHER WISE IT WOULD OF COST ME 2300.00

Comfortable Ride
By psicoo

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have been extremely satisfied with the handling and comfort of my expedition both on and off road. Averaging 18-19 miles per gallon, in my opinion is excellent for a large truck.

Favorite Features

Safety signals in mirrors, roomy, sound system.

Fun Beast
By guru

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

This was my first Expedition. I have since bought a 2002 Bauer for my wife and she loves it. We have three kids and there aren't many vehicles that you can put three car seats across. I have the 4.6L in both and I think they have great power. Gas mileage is awful but what do you expect from a beast like this.

Favorite Features

So much room. Nice leather and I love when cars get out of your way because they see the beast barreling down the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system was improved in my 2002.