Used 1999 Ford Expedition XLT SUV Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

99 expedition of the mid-west
By Shirley

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

There is a common issue with ford truck's. The gear shift shaft went out and if expensive to fix. The truck would not go into park and had to be in nutral to start.

Best Car ever owned
By Kenn Sa

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Of all the vehicles I've owned inn the past 26 years, this is by far my favorite. In the 10 years I have owned it, it has never left me stranded. I've replaced the tranny and performed routine maintenance and put in almost 190,000 miles. The interior controls are well placed and cabin space is very pleasing. The SUV handles well and still accelerates with verve.

The interior space and reliability are what has kept me very pleased with my Expiditty! The factory sound system and rear controls for environment and music are great for trips with the kids.

Mileage is very disappointing. If I were budget minded I'd consider a smaller vehicle with better mileage. Otherwise,I love the SUV.

Great buy for the family and off roading
By Ford Steve

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have owned this car for about 5 years and i am very satisfied with the car. the family is comfortable on long trips and has enough room for trips to the Home Depot. we have dirt bikes and tow a 4x10 trailer with no problem. As we connect the trailer the back end goes down about three inches, but within seconds the airbag suspension turns on and lifts it up to normal height and it even helps climb the dirt roads. I have only had two problems so far. My head gasket had to be replaced at about 50,000 miles and my heater core had to be replaced at about 70,000 miles. And it was not a happy time because my Ford dealer has terrible service. Other than those two things the car is a great car.

Airbag suspension, flat fold down seats, lots of cargo room, good engine, disc brakes in the rear unlike Chevy who still use brake drums, the color that I have is a dark blue with a purplish blue at certain angles, rear seat radio controls.

A little more horsepower but good for its year, but once you add a Magnaflow exhaust and a cold air intake she can move pretty good, Interior design could be better, lighten the trunk door -- it's a little heavy and closes loud, third row speakers, better gas mileage average16-19, it costs me $70 to fill her up.

I'm Lovin' It
By I'm Lovin' It

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I am a single mother working mother of two, and I have never been so happy with a vehicle since my first child. The comfort and reliability it has given me is outstanding. I love her so much I have given her a name ... "White Goldie". I know she takes a lot of gas, but she makes it up in the end with everything else.

Very spacious, provides much comfort, and smooth ride.

Gas mileage.

not bad....
By me

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Vehicle has done what I bought it for; except for that tire incident and replacing transmission gasket it hasn't required any major fixing ("knock on wood"). I would consider buying another when a hybrid version comes out.

Space between 3rd row and lift gate is not enough to fit a cooler.