1999 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Best SUV in its class EVER !!!
By jimmyz10 on 05/23/14 00:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

this is by far one of the best suv's built in the 2000's. sadly after 9 years we had to let her go, to get a newer more gas efficient suv, we got our EXPY used from a dealer with about 50k miles, I didn't EVER invested a penny in repairs other than oil changes, new tires (20's for the change of looks only) and smog checks. this suv had a lot of power, plenty of room, nice looks, design and interior as well as parts well equipped. my only deception? about 11 miles in city/ 14 in high way, no more! other than that I would be still driving it........

Pleased Expedition Owner
By nate86 on 06/18/13 16:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer at a little over 78,000 miles. It had just one owner prior, and was well maintained and cared for. The truck is awesome to say the lease. Stylish, BIG, yet very comfortable to drive, especially on the highway. Gas mileage? It has not been an issue because all I do is drive to school, work, and basic daily errands like grocery shopping and doctor visits. I think that a properly educated truck owner must know that proper maintenance like oil changes, tune-ups etc. are required, just like with other cars. This truck is built very strong and sturdy, and I feel powerful in the drivers seat when I drive it. This is the best SUV built in 1999, bar none.

Best car we ever owned
By alex1695 on 07/15/12 22:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned this car for about 8.5 years, we bought it used from the dealership at 98k miles and have since spun the odometer to 275k. We are a family of 4 and have done quiet a bit of travel and moving. This car has taken us on multiple long trips and plenty of space for gear and leg room for everybody. On one long trip hauling a u haul in the dark we hit an Elk, sadly in the middle of nowhere, but the car took us another 250 miles to civilization with a cracked radiator, misaligned front end and even rode smooth. This car has never and most likely will never die. Love this car, even gets decent gas for a full sized SUV.

1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer
By pestka on 07/27/11 17:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had the Expy for a couple years and now have 270100 miles on her. One engine re-build and transmission is all I have had to do over the years.I hear about how the milage is, but I am getting 17ish in town and 20ish on the Hwy with the 5.4, people if dont shove your foot through the fire wall upon acceleration this is possible milage for all! I cannot believe how reliable this vehicle has been weather hauling the boat or the groceries this vehicle has meet my needs. She has handled all Wisconsin can throw at it. Ice, snow, and heat she comes through!!! Henry would approve of this bad@ss machine. I cannot belive someone traded me a mint Expy for a 2wd Sportage straight up, what a goof!

Best Car ever owned
By Kenn Sa on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Of all the vehicles I've owned inn the past 26 years, this is by far my favorite. In the 10 years I have owned it, it has never left me stranded. I've replaced the tranny and performed routine maintenance and put in almost 190,000 miles. The interior controls are well placed and cabin space is very pleasing. The SUV handles well and still accelerates with verve.

Great SUV
By mdh5169 on 06/21/10 21:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have only owned this vehicle for about 6 months. It had 113K miles on it when I bought it. It now has 117K. The vehicle is great. Nice ride, looks good and very comfortable. I wish it was a little more peppy but hey it does weigh 2 and a half tons. Also the fuel mileage could be a little better but factor in the weight, its all wheel drive and it has 22 inch rims on it. It's not so bad. Overall I would buy again. It has comfort and features and may I add, this from someone who has never been much of a Ford fan :)

I'll buy another
By Bulletproof on 02/11/10 20:16 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my truck. We bought it 5 years ago with 90,000 miles on it and have 142000 on it now. No problems whatsoever. I've pulled a 28' travel trailer foe the past 5 summers. Even though I have the smaller 4.6 motor, it handles it just fine. The tires still have lots of tread with over 50,000 miles. Like everyone else, wish the gas mileage was better. Very comfortable ride. Most impressed with zero maintenance issues. I will buy another one of this vintage whenever this one finally dies. I prefer this body style to the newer model. I have the cloth seats and they show virtually no wear. Ford did an outstanding job on this truck.

Not a Rolls-Royce, but gets the job done
By GatorInTheSnow on 01/03/10 21:51 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had 4 years, good all-around vehicle. Criticisms of Ford design quality are merited: Found out car had a leaky head gasket when we towed a 3-ton trailer and all the coolant spilled out. $1700 to fix? Poured four cans of goo into radiator; that was 30,000 miles ago. Never overheats! Weird self-leveling suspension, air hose broke ($130 at dealer). Auto fulltime 4WD noisy, but helps in stop-n-go when slushy snow. Good steering, tires wear even. Other than that, normal wear - A/C compressor, brakes. Gas mileage per EPA estimate when you obey speed limit. If you were expecting a luxury version of a truck, this isn't it. Satisfies our need for a family car.

Reliable Depandable Vehicle over 10 yrs.
By cobaseball3 on 10/23/09 16:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new for a family of five. Three boys under the age of 8. Salesperson was a complete tool but, the vehicle and service dept. of Ford Dealership have been professional and knowledgeable for 10 years. Been to many vacations (Disneyland, etc.) ski trips in Mountains and all over the country for baseball tournaments, etc. NEVER ONCE HAD A PROBLEM ON THE ROAD. A beast in the snow, and has been my wife's dependable everyday car for over 10 years (Current Mileage 168,000) and has been one of the best purchases I have ever made, of any product. Own 3 other Fords (F-150's) and I have had the same reliable service. Will Definitely purchase another Ford if same results as our Expedition.

The Best.
By VictorV. on 07/21/09 22:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased with 90k.What can I say,of all the vehicles I have ever owned,this one was my favorite.I had the sport model.The most spacious and confident vehicle I have ever driven.sure it had some maintenance issues,but so does my Camry.The ac was the best at getting my rig cold in the hot summer months in Las Vegas,and the AWD was a blast to drive.Took it to Big Bear one Xmas,and it tackled the snow with ease.I would never had sold it,but for financial reasons,she had to go.I have regretted that decision ever since.One day I will buy another low mileage Expedition.